Senior Affiliate Manager AMWSO James - AMWSO's Avatar
    Really cool new affiliate tool.
    Hi all,

Although this post is focused on Gaiam, I think the tool that's being used will likely interest most of you. AMWSO has been loooking for a way to effectively use video through our programs, and we think we've finally found the a complete solution.

The tool is called: WebVideoZone and it has been created by a guy called Joe Chapuis. Anyway, I have had a play with the tool and this is one example of what I have come up with: http://www.affiliatecreatives.com/ga...the_secret.htm. (This very basic landing page that promotes a product that was featured on Oprah last week that's stocked by Gaiam).

Here's the cool part:
    • The Gaiam logo on the top left hand corner of the video player is a clickable affiliate link.
    • When the video is done there's a message to; Click on the video screen to buy The Secret. Once the screen is clicked on you are led to a Gaiam landing page for The Secret through an affiliate link.
    • Anyone can add the video to their site via the Add To Site button, and of course the video player includes an affiliate link.
    • You can email a friend a link to your video player via the Share button, and again the video player will include an affiliate link.
    • The video is not hosted on your site so you don't have to worry about bandwidth issues.
    If a merchant/Affiliate Manager wants to distribute this sort of video all they have to do is direct their affiliates to a page like the one below where they add their affiliate ID and then they can grab the resulting source code that's generated on the page to add to their website. Here is an example of the page for 'The Secret' DVD: http://go.webvideoplayer.com/aff/nC1...V3rUahHPkE1347. (In this case you'd add your Linkshare Click ID to grab a copy of the video which has your affiliate links embedded throughout the video).

We're going to use this tool for Gaiam/GT Media first of all as they have loads of very well produced videos advertising their best-selling products (I have about 40 videos so far and there are many more available). So far we have three videos available for affiliates and I have just sent out a newsletter which explains how the system works and incudes the various links to them all etc. If you're interested, check it out here: http://www.affiliatecreatives.com/ga...r2.1_Feb07.htm.

N.B. If you want to use the Gaiam videos on your website and get paid a commission on sales you must be signed up to the Gaiam affiliate program run through Linkshare. You can get more details here: http://www.amwso.com/gaiam.php.

It'll be interesting to see how this goes. There is no doubt that high quality video can certainly help sell products (especialy if surrounded by some solid sales copy).

Let me know your thoughts on this. I'd welcome any feedback you have on the system.
    James D. Nardell
    AMWSO.com Affiliate Management Team
    email: James.Nardell [@] AMWSO.com
    Phone: (805) 624-5669
    IM - Google/Skype: JamesNardell
    iolo technologies | Paychex | Personal VCard Website

Lightbulb
    Gaiam also handles some alternative energy products. Any of that in the mix, or due to be?

Hi Herb,

All the videos i have right now are focused on fitness i.e. yoga and pilates etc. I'll get in touch with the guys at Gaiam and see what we have in the alternative energy area. I'm sure we must have something.
    James D. Nardell

Lightbulb
    yes, please do . . . hopefully they are working on something. Also, I hope they are not leaving this on the back burner -- a lot of this stuff is seasonally interesting, depending on the locale.

ABW Ambassador
    The idea is interesting ... I think I will subscribe to this thread & see what others have to say...
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

ABW Ambassador
    I made a local entry about this over at bumpzee. I'm sure you guys will put this up on your blog. Looks pretty cool, still figuring it all out.

Hi Trust,

Chris will be blogging/RSSing this shortly (he's in Canada right now). The plan is to put together a dedicated section in the AMWSO site on how to effectively use video for affiliate marketing.

Stay tuned.
    James D. Nardell

Hi all,

I've got a quick question. What video size do you think works best? What size do you guys prefer using? YouTube size?

Thanks in advance.
    James D. Nardell

Thumbs up
    I tried it out on a blog and it worked great. Kind of suprised me since i've had problems getting javascript or drm links to work in the past.

As for size, maybe make a much smaller size option available too? People might click on a small screen out of curiosity...or in order to see the full sized version?
    (might have to change the video controls for that though...)

Thanks for the feedback Simcat. I'll work on some smaller versions of the videos. I think maybe it's going to be best if we offer 2-3 versions of each video i.e. small, medium, and large.
    James D. Nardell

James
    You already know I have one of the videos on my site. Haven't checked the link you posted here out yet but am gonna. I love this idea. I had concerns about bandwidth at first, too and like simcat thought there may be problems with the page loading or something. But....no problems at all. Hasn't made any difference at all far as I can tell. Teeny bit difference...not sure if it matters or not....but when ya play the video on my site, nobody clicks on anything. As soon as the video is done it goes right to the site....like magic....Does that make any difference?
    Thank you, thank you for coming up with this, too. Really love the idea

Hi Kathy,

Glad to be of help . I was going to email you and tell you about this new video, and a couple of others on yoga that I uploaded yesterday. (I'm not sure if you got the newsletter I sent out earlier on or not).

Here are the URL's to grab the code for the other two videos:

Rodney Yee - Yoga For Back Care DVD:
    http://go.webvideoplayer.com/aff/YST...4JF1O6oEbV1381

Rodney Yee - Advanced Yoga DVD:
    http://go.webvideoplayer.com/aff/z6U...2Lihto95aI1310

(Loads more on the way...)

Bandwidth is thankfully not an issue as the videos are hosted on WebVideoZone's servers. So far the hosting they provide seems very reliable and extremely fast (even in Bangkok). Here's to hoping it stays this way!

I have set all the players to have a still image for 30 seconds (one that I uploaded) then autodirect to the Gaiam sales page via your affiliate link. The system is very versatile at the back end, and there's a lot that can be done.
    James D. Nardell

Outsourced Program Manager Rick - Bitcom's Avatar
    This going to be cool. The way I understand it any videos can be "branded" and links added, so an affiliate can create their own "testimonials" of video "content" and then get links added. The possibilites are endless.

SBI got a lot of their site owners to create videos and now use them as testimonials for all their affiliates. Very Cool!

Awwwh James.....you mean it was you after all and not magic? lol
    I'm always poppin in here with other windows open and doin other stuff at the same time...so I placed "The Secret" video on my site, too. Dooo, dooo, dooo, dooo time. lol Was goin through some email at the same time and got my newsletter from Borders and it's talking about it in there. lol
    Umm James....I'm with simcat, too. I always like little banners and prefer the smaller videos, too. This size is fine for me now but will change it to a smaller one whenever you have them
    Not sure if I've gotten a more recent newsletter or you're referring to the earlier one but will take a look in my email to see.
    I'm becoming a big fan of Rodney lol love watching and listening to his videos and think he's even gonna end up gettin me to try yoga. lol Gonna include these, too.

ummm have I said I love these yet? lol Agree with Rick about endless possibilities. Any musicians out there could have their own videos, too. Really love these and realllllly easy to do them.

Trust - I'm a lurker over at bumpzee lol will have to look for your entry....and you don't have to figure anything out....honest...if I can do this, you definitely can. Just a teeny little code is all ya have to put on your site. Easy as can be.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Hi Everyone

The links to the video creation script for each of the latest Gaiam Videos can be found on the below page. Seven videos loaded so far.

Find them all here

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Thank you very much both James and Chris...you guys are making it very difficult for me to choose. I see em and then wanna put all of em on my site. I'm stopping at 3.....maybe lol

James - while you're here I'll save ya from having to read an email I was gonna send ya..(it'll be shorter since it's here lol ) Thank you very much for being so nice and giving me the actual code for the link I asked ya about.

ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    I love it, excellent tool. It's going to be a fun year to see more creative stuff like this!
    Jim Kukral
    You will love my book: Attention! This Book Will Make You Money

Youtube size videos seem to be the rage all of a sudden. But I think that is due to the recent blurbs about them being used as a revenue stream for posters.

The majority of the Gaiam's videos are YouTube size which I guess is good. This is a long shot, but do any of the AM's or affiliates on this board have any CR data on video player sizes i.e. which size converts the best or gets played the most?

Anecdotally, from what I've seen so far "The Secret" video size (512x288) gets the most plays/sales...
    James D. Nardell

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    meet the sizes and other requirements and affs could then distribute your videos through G's AdWords system.

these sizes:
    336 x 280 (Large rectangle)
    300 x 250 (Inline rectangle)
    250 x 250 (Square)
    200 x 200 (Small Square)

https://adwords.google.com/select/videoguidelines.html

(this would be direct-to-merchant ppc where the movies show up all over the Internet on publishers adsense sites)

Thanks Donuts!

This is an outstanding idea. (Although it will result in some more very late nights for me )
    James D. Nardell

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    This is an outstanding idea. (Although it will result in some more very late nights for me )
    I've told you several times already that sleeping is a valuable waste of time!
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

This is a great tool, thanks for posting it. I always wondered why YouTube hasn't yet implemented clickable videos - but I'm sure thats coming.

"the secret" reminds me of "gabbo" from The Simpsons...nice way of creating a buzz for something that noone knows what it is except only that it's a secret.

It'll be interesting to see how Google works on further monetizing YouTube. Something tells me that it won't just stop at AdSense/AdWords.
    James D. Nardell

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread