ABW Ambassador
    I requested, for the first time, the product data feed for my merchants through CJ, but I have no idea what to do w/ it...I tried searching for a similar topic, but I'm still lost...any help would be appreciated.

FreeCallz.com - Free and cheap phone services.

ABW Ambassador
    ok, almost 50 people have looked at this & nobody knows? I find that hard to believe...
    it's not just a list of products is it? it must serve some purpose, right? maybe this just means CJ needs to add something about it in their help section...it's not even mentioned anywhere!

ABW Ambassador
    People know, but it's just knowing where to start with an answer...

>>it's not just a list of products is it?<<

Pretty much. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] The merchant's only play in this game is to hand you the feed, it's then up to you to decide what to do with it. Most people feed it into a database that can be used via the web... so instead of handcoding pages for each product, they feed in the data and the database software takes care of creating the pages.

The merchant provides the ingredients, but it is up to you to cook the meal. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

-------
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go to bed.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    It's a stealth marketing tool invented by Cable Internet providers to motivate people to get rid of dialup! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

More seriously: What Cedric said as to what to do with it. It's my understanding that the actual information in the feed will be basically what's in the product links you can get through the regular interface: Product name, description, price, and the tracking link codes.

There is no knowledge that is not power.~~Ralph Waldo Emerson

ABW Ambassador
    ok, so dealing w/ this has been one of the biggest wastes of time for me this year...what a useless piece of garbage! (to me at least)
    thanks for the answers [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, it is a useless piece of garbage. Keep believing that [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Don't Worry Mama, It Won't Get Freaky!

Hey celica, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss.

The key to datafeeds is knowing what to do with them. I'm trying to figure this out myself. Database and scripting skills are needed

Sal @ PHATBargains.com

ABW Ambassador
    Can I ask a dumb question ?

Why ask for a datafeed if you don't know what to do with it ?

The merchant has just provided you with pretty much everything you need to generate a dynamic site of all their products in about 1/50th of the time it would take to create a static site.

Hire a programmer if you can't do it yourself. Your inability to use this does not make it a useless piece of garbage.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

if($product_datafeed != "feed me")
    {
    print "Useless piece of garbage!\n";
    }
    else
    {
    print "Product datafeeds are for advanced users. If you don\'t know what to do with them, it isn\'t the responsibility of Cj or the merchant to teach you and a help file will not do the trick. Get a book on database programming and dynamic scripting or hire a programmer and use it to make lotsa money\n";
    }

"Laziness, Impatience, Hubris. Pick any three" ~ YAPC 19100

ABW Ambassador
    First of all, let me thank everyone for being so understanding and for actually reading what I said (if I may be allowed to add my own bit of bitter sarcasm)...it's useless to me because I don't have those programming skills. I also run a very niche site, dedicated to one model of one make of car, for which there aren't many after market products made. Product data feeds were recommended to me by a merchant, but I didn't want to waste his time, when he told me that he's been quite busy lately, when I could come here and hope for a quick & non-abusive answer.
    I was told to do it w/ no explanation of what it is or does, or how to use it, so I came here for help, which turned out to be more useless than the data feed.
    I've gained more knowledge here than anywhere else & I appreciate this immensely and I try to help out as much as I can. From what I've seen here, bad attitudes aren't accepted, so why am I feeling like I'm being attacked and ridiculed?

>> From what I've seen here, bad attitudes aren't accepted, so why am I feeling like I'm being attacked and ridiculed?

I really can't explain that, as it seems that the bad attitude started with you in the first place. First, by your complaint that 50 people have looked at your post and not answered, and then by your assertion that it is a useless piece of garbage.

The fact is, there is a great deal of information if you search for datafeed on ABW; it is spread out among many forums and threads; and some of us just don't have the time to constantly re-answer the same questions over and over for those who do not want to take the time to do the research and expect others to give them the answers. In fact there was a thread in the Programming forum just 2-3 days ago asking about datafeeds and what does one need to learn to use them.

That is a waste of our time, which is just as valuable as yours. Datafeeds are a complex subject, and we've all had to do the research necessary to learn what we've learned. No one here has the time to walk anyone through it step by step.

{

"Laziness, Impatience, Hubris. Pick any three" ~ YAPC 19100

ABW Ambassador
    I read and reread everything I post several times to try and prevent people from taking anything I say as being insults. I once had someone attack me on another forum and I let it go, but made the mistake of addressing what I said directly to them, and I got banned from the board...needless to say it wasn't fair, but I won't make that mistake again. I also respect everyone here enough to keep such thoughts to myself.
    Nothing I posted earlier has even the slightest hint of being mean spirited, in fact, I added the [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] at the end of the post before my previous one so people would know that I wasn't upset in any way. Maybe rather than addressing the fact that 50 people read & didn't answer, I should have just put "^bump^", which is all I intended to do...I didn't know if it was acceptable in this forum...many others frown upon that sort of thing...
    My question was answered, but I was bothered by the other posts. I did search ABW first, but after nearly an hour of reading, I had no choice but to give up and start a new topic.
    If people don't want to reanswer a question, don't...and please don't be sarcastic when it's only meant to get under someone's skin.
    I'd like to give special thanks to those who have helped me, but in doing so, I'm afraid the others would feel insulted, so I won't. Sorry. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Celicaphile,

I meant nothing insulting by my post, I meant what I said. Datafeeds are a great way to build a site but there is a big learning curve to get started. As I explained to someone the other day, this isn't Frontpage and there is no dragging and dropping or cut and paste.

Manipulating a datafeed requires knowledge of a programming language and a knowledge of databases. The web is littered with tutorials and help files on how to get started using these feeds. It merely requires initiative to find it and get started.

For a few here, datafeeds represent an advantage and you will find that the information that is going to be passed down is going to general in nature. We are all friends here but business is business and I for one am not very willing to give away my tactical advantage.

HTH

Mike

Don't Worry Mama, It Won't Get Freaky!

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread