Exclamation Warning: Before Upgrading to Outlook 2007...
    If you are one of those people that always need to have the latest version of software, if half the software installed on your machine is in beta, or if you are just considering upgrading (or already upgraded) then this post is for you.

You may experience performance problems when you are working with items in a large .pst file or in a large .ost file in Outlook 2007. Short version is that if you have large PST or OST files, Outlook hangs, sometimes 10-12 seconds and may reduce your computer's speed. The cause is "To accommodate new features, Outlook 2007 introduced a new data structure for .pst and .ost files. In this new data structure, the frequency of writing data to the hard disk increases as the number of items in the .pst or .ost files increases."

More info at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=932086

Interesting.
    These problems may occur if the .pst or .ost file is larger than 2 GB. Additionally, the performance problems are more pronounced when the .pst or .ost file is larger than 4 GB.
    I have Outlook 2003, and I thought it was limited to < 2 GB. Perhaps that's an older version that had the limitation. I've always kept my PST under 2 GB as a result. I move my older emails off into yearly archive files (2005.pst, 2006.pst, etc.).
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Interesting.I have Outlook 2003, and I thought it was limited to < 2 GB. Perhaps that's an older version that had the limitation. I've always kept my PST under 2 GB as a result. I move my older emails off into yearly archive files (2005.pst, 2006.pst, etc.).
    Although that is the default, there is a workaround for that (I have not tested this though). In the options, go the the data files and change the file encoding to Unicode (this is the default in Outlook 2003). This increases the file size limit.

Isn't this the reason you set outlook to auto archive to keep those files small. Any program using a 2GB file will slow to a halt.

1 drawback to archiving PST/OST files like that is that it does not sync with Exchange.

For example if you access your email from the office and home on different computers, Exchange will syncrnize the files/folders for you. However, once you use the Outlook archiving option, those items are available only on the computer that you archived them (they are no longer on the Exchange server).

It all depends on your specific needs.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Interesting ... I haven't upgraded (still have 2003) but have noticed that my Outlook has been hanging up for a few weeks now.

Thanks for the heads up 123!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Update: we've experimented with this further – this problem only applies if you’re using Windows XP. This problem does not occur on Vista at all.

Miscrosoft released an update for this bug - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=933493

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread