Affiliate Manager kabronbingham's Avatar
    Google Checkout
    Hi Everyone,

I know there are other threads on this subject but I think this is different. ifrogz is thinking of implementing Google Checkout but I don't want to lose any affiliates. The solution we have came up with is to turn off Google Checkout when an affiliate cookie is established. Would you guys still join if we did this or what is your opinion on this? Thank you in Advance.

-Kabron
    Kabron Bingham
    Marketing
    iFrogz™

W: 435.774.4568
    E: kabron at ifrogz.com

ABW Ambassador
    Have you discussed this with Shareasale? I believe they have a solution that resolves any issues with Google Checkout so it shouldn't be necessary to turn it off.

Thanks Snowman! I will look into it.

-Kabron
    Kabron Bingham
    Marketing
    iFrogz™

Outsourced Program Manager
    Hi Kabron,

Another issue that affiliates have, besides the tracking, is the privacy issue. But I will say that it speaks volumes for your program that you are asking prior to implementation. Nice work!

-Mike

ABW Ambassador
    Google also provides the code you need to use.

http://googlecheckout.blogspot.com/2...-features.html

I prefer to keep it as an option for the users if you're gonna add it, as long as tracking still works. Although some people complain of potential privacy issues with google, others complain about potential privacy issues with giving their cc info to so many separate stores...

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Although some people complain of potential privacy issues with google, others complain about potential privacy issues with giving their cc info to so many separate stores...
    But with Google its not just cc infomation.

I've posted this information on another thread, but it merits repeating here:

Not only do customers, when they sign-up, give Google the right to their credit reports, but to UNLIMITED INVESTIGATION:

Google Checkout Terms of Service:

2. Requirements for Registration

"...
    ...You also authorize us to obtain from time to time a credit report and/or to otherwise make credit or other background inquiries as we deem appropriate to evaluate your registration for or continued use of the Service ..."

Besides gleaning information from the merchant side and co-opting merchant services, Google is obviously planning to, sometime in the future, provide credit directly to customers, bypassing the cc companies.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound

Besides gleaning information from the merchant side and co-opting merchant services, Google is obviously planning to, sometime in the future, provide credit directly to customers, bypassing the cc companies.
    Well, amazons & buy.com's have credit card offerings... granted they're through visa or somewhere.

I personally don't like google checkout, and try not to promote their offers on my site, but I know some shoppers do use/like it, and I'd rather not exclude them from shopping through my links when it's an option at a store.

ABW Ambassador
    I think your checkout process works just fine as it is. There was another thread asking merchants about it that didn't get many responses. What are you getting by adding it? That's the only thing I never fully understood.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Any company can have visa or mc offerings with their name on it. Yahoo credit cards have been issued for years. Google doesn't have to obtain this type of information to set that up, if they haven't already. It looks to me more like a "store account" type of credit offering, based on the credit info they are obtaining and storing right now, in competition with Visa, MC, Amex, etc., not merely issuing one of theose cards.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Thanks for the Feedback everyone. I am against them adding it for the same reason you guys have started. But they want to add it now before it becomes mainstream. Also they like the idea of no processing fees.
    Kabron Bingham
    Marketing
    iFrogz™

ABW Ambassador
    Trust, the primary benefit to merchants is no processing fees which can be significant. You can get all the details at http://checkout.google.com/seller/why.html

The primary negative to merchants is that you've lost control of your customers to Google.

ABW Ambassador
    I understand no processing fees, for this year. And all the promos they have when you use Adwords etc. That's to get you into the system. But that isn't going to last, eventually you'll be paying fees. I am biased tho, I just think Google is getting too much into your business so I'm not a fan of Google Checkout.

Internet Cowboy
    Saving processing fees

VS

Losing your affiliates & allowing G complete access to market to your customers

I have a hard time seeing the difficulty in this choice unless you are operating in the red and your negative margin is less than your processing fees.

ABW Ambassador
    Come on, Scott. What proof do you have that anyone has lost any affiliates? Sure, it was a bumpy road at the beginning because some merchants were no longer tracking affiliate sales but the procedures are now in place to prevent that from happening.

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    Come on, Scott. What proof do you have that anyone has lost any affiliates? Sure, it was a bumpy road at the beginning because some merchants were no longer tracking affiliate sales but the procedures are now in place to prevent that from happening.
    Read this thread, then this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    I dropped merchants because of it. Starting new promotions I check the site for all the usual red flags, Google checkout is one of them.

I promote products, not merchants. If two merchants carry a product, 1 has GC and 1 doesn't, guess who gets promoted and who gets dropped.

Thank you Scott for pointing that out. I never would have imagined the impact that implementing this has.
    Kabron Bingham
    Marketing
    iFrogz™

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    If a merchant isn't using an approved GC interfaced shopping cart then stay away from them as affiliates. Merchants with propritary shopping cart programs should be 100% suspect as to not tracking GC sales. Why? Because Google Checkout in no way will guarantee 3rd party, or inhouse, affiliate sales tracking as part of their .XML talk back data stream. My answer to all those major & minor merchants using GC as a payment options is to PROVE IT TRACKS affiliate referral sales.

Simple process for a merchant. Click a network affiliate coded link and make a GC payment purchase. Log into GC admin area and write down the GC order# and sale/customer details. Log into your cart admin area and verify the order was placed and GC payment confirmed. Now comes the tricky part.

Does SAS, LS,CJ, Perfomics and others show those GC sales automatically in their merchant admin area??? If not.... then the affiliate is SOL if the merchant doesn't manually post the GC sales to their affiliate account. My take is that the major merchants who use diversion tactics, employ BHO's and professional house cookie e-mail blasters won't take the time and effort to manually credit affiliate referral sales. Only way around this is if Google becomes the affiliate sales tracking network..

What say you?
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

OT: So far I have yet to be able to use GC as a consumer yet. For some reason it hates my credit cards (yea, they aren't charged up) and keeps denying them. Made me give up on GC as a consumer.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread