Affiliate Manager
    Paying Schedule
    I got a quick question for all you out there.
    We will probably start by cutting checks ourselves to Affiliates and I thought I would see what time of the month would be the best to do so.
    From what I gather on here SAS and such issue on certain days which make it fairly regular.
    Would you want everything coming in at the same time or spread out?
    Ha! Now that I ask I get the feeling it will be a different answer from everyone, but lets hear it.

ABW Ambassador
    Just send me a check NOW

Affiliate Manager
    LOL. got it.

To your direct question: I really don't think it will matter which day you choose to mail your checks. CJ and SAS both pay out around the 21st (their direct-deposits usually appear in my bank account on the same day each month).

But I think I see an "implied question," which is: "What can we do (in our payment arrangements) to make our program more attractive to affiliates?"

(1) Offer online payment (direct deposit and/or PayPal). If you have international affiliates, ask them what other payment options they'd like. If you choose PayPal payments, make sure to set these up so affiliates who are "pro" users of PayPal don't have to pay a fee on the transfer.

(2) Many affiliates are wary of new merchants, and getting that first check can sometimes be a huge inspiration.
    (a) For new affiliates, waive your minimum-payment amount and offer to write that first check for ANY amount, even a dollar. (But don't just send a tiny check, especially for foreign affiliates who may pay fees.)
    (b) Consider paying "early" in the first few months, but make clear that this is temporary ("I'm handling the affiliate checks myself this month, but in a month or two I'll need to delegate to our accounting staff, who will send checks on the 18th.")

The shorter the time period between transaction and affiliate payment, the happier the affiliate will be -- but that difference in happiness is really pretty minor. Paying on the 5th versus the 25th is not likely to actually make a significant difference for 99% of affiliates.

(3) Other than a "first month" early payment, do NOT allow your payments to fall later and later each month. Even if your promise is "payment by the 30th of the month," if your monthly checks fall later each month (for example, on February 9, March 11, April 14, May 17, June 21), some affiliates will perceive this as "late payment" and others will view it as a "warning sign."

A good approach is to treat your affiliate payments the same way you treat payroll. A bad approach is to treat affiliate payments like any other invoice you get.

NOTE: Consolidated payment is a huge reason to consider using an affiliate network like ShareASale -- the entire check-writing process is eliminated (for you), along with issues of "lost checks," uncashed checks, etc.
    Last edited by markwelch; February 23rd, 2007 at 12:07 PM.

Any time is a good time to send a check.

The sooner the better.

Later is always bad.

Affiliate Manager
    Awesome Mark, thanks.
    When I got here Tuesday I saw we had three Affiliates who had signed up on their own, made some money but never got paid. So I have been on the phone with them, and getting their money to them as quick as I can which according to one of them was shocking. He kept asking me if I was really a AM.
    From what I can tell so far, this is going to be an awesome job for me. The Affiliates know a lot more than I do yet they are pretty down to earth.
    Right now I am less worried about bringing in hundred of Affiliates as I am with making damn sure every single one we get is happy and well fed.

Indies have the huge advantage of being able to pay more quickly than the networks. I have a few who cut their affiliate checks on the first business day of the month (for earnings the previous month).

I would recommend paying as quickly as possible, and in no case later than the 15th. If you can't do it that quick, go with a network. They'll pay by direct deposit around the 20th.

Affiliates are generally wary of indies, and quick payments help reassure us that you're legit.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread