Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Blocking access to all proxy sites?
    Is there a way to block access to all proxy server access?

The reason I ask is that at my kids school, they have blocked access to myspace, online email, etc, but the kids are using proxy sites to get around it and screwing off instead of doing their work.

I am getting ready to contact the technology guy at the school and I have heard there is a way to block access to proxy sites to keep this from happening, but I can't find any information on how to do so, short of adding them one at a time to the blocked site list.

I want to make some suggestions to him on how they can do this.

Any info would be appreciated!
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

From what I know, theres no real way to know if its a proxy other than looking them up as they go. I guess they could monitor those free proxy lists and just ban as they're added, but they add new ones all the time.
    They should start penalizing the students somehow for using proxies, and they teachers should just watch where they are at.

I agree that they should be penalized.

The teachers have told the kids how to use proxy's to get around the block for legit purposes.

For example, for some reason dell.com is blocked, but one of the assignments the kids had was to go to dell, built a computer and price it out. Because they couldn't access the site, the computer teacher showed them how to use a proxy.
    ~Michelle

Affiliate Manager
    No matter what you do to block them, the kids will find a way to get around it. they may lack in the homework department, but when the goal is something they want, they will find a way.
    I suggest going back to the days of old with a yard stick with a metal strip along one side and some knuckles...

Lightbulb
    blacklists will get better and better.

however, I'd be also concerned that the school district has published a comprehensive policy regarding system usage.

Funny, at a district where I've contracted in the past a couple of teachers and librarians have fought or otherwise ignored the policy in the name of academic freedom.

They do monitor what the kids do to some extent.

Each kid that touches a computer must login under their own account to get on. From there, everything they do as far as downloads, site visits ect. are tracked.

If they violate the policy, they get a warning sent home and 2nd time they have no computer access for the rest of the year.

At the beginning of each year they send a "contract" home that they parent signs giving permission for the student to use the computer and internet, and the student signs it promising to follow the rules.
    ~Michelle

Lightbulb
    I've known teachers to circumvent the very systems that are there for protection. Like leaving themselves signed in with high privileges and letting the kids use that computer. Until it was fixed, several kids could sign in on the same ID and password, too.

This is actually part of my daytime job. Blocking sites and network monitoring. We have most everything blocked but there is only so much we can do. It seems like every day there is a new "vtunnel" or "ctunnel" site that allows the traffic to pass thru that site to things like myspace. All we can do is monitor and keep blocking those things as they crop up. I wish there was something better but at the moment that's all we can do. Our monitoring system is new and top of the line expensive equipment too.

Core

Affiliate Manager
    maybe they can put in a site filter for the word proxy. If the word proxy is on the page it can block it. I dont know what else it would net in that process though.

I'd block everything but the 80th port. In a month I would unblock everything. Then I'd set a quota for the traffic (10MB a month). Everything over the quota would cost 25 cents per 1MB. The bills would go to the parents once a year in November.

Question Hey Im New Here
    Im Wondering How To Unblock All Proxys On A School Server

If it's blocked it's blocked for a reason. Unless you are a network admin I wouldn't worry about unblocking things. Where I work those who are not in a position to do things like that but attempt to do them anyway find themselves unemployed.

Core

Question hey
    i want to talk to my g-freind on facebox.com but it's blocked and i can't find another way to get on it.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread