I've been thinking of using a program like phpYellowPages (www.dreamriver.com) for my affiliate links and then offer other companies (that don't have affiliate programs) the option to pay for a listing. For one of my sites there are only about 7 companies that offer affiliate programs for the items I list there and I have companies contacting me all the time wanting to know how they can get listed. I tell them about the various affiliate managers, but none ever follow through. I'm thinking this might be a good alternative.

Has anyone tried anything like this?

Ron
    7 Days A Week Marketing

"Keep your hands out of my cookie jar!"

Just bumping this up for a second try at getting an answer. Hope someone has had some experience with this before I try it.

Ron
    7 Days A Week Marketing

"Keep your hands out of my cookie jar!"

I have one site that is a pay for inclusion directory and I backfill categories with affiliate links and pay-per-click search results. Somewhat the opposite situation you are in.

My guess is that most of these people contacting you wouldn't pay for a listing anyways. Sounds like they are trying to get some free advertising - the internet is all about linking, isn't it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

The success of pay per listings depends a lot upon your industry. Some types of companies are used to buying ad space in printed guides or are heavily dependent on local yellow pages. For these the transition to a pay per listing internet directory is fairly smooth.

Other industires (e.g travel) are used to paying a commsission. For these it is almost impossible to get them to pay upfront fees. You might try a pay per click approach. Some of the off-the-shelf directory software has ppc modules now.

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread