Question Linkshare tracking - a little unsure about my links
    Hi all,

I'm just putting together a page that showcases a bunch of LS merchants, and something occurred to me.

When I pull links from the newsletters I receive from merchants, they always end with &subid=0

And when I pull links directly from the LS interface, they always end with &subid=

I don't really understand what that "subid" part of the links is supposed to accomplish, but it strikes me as a bit strange that it should always be no number at all, or a zero.

Is this normal? Is the string that allows proper tracking located in a preceding part of the link?

Thanks!

Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    As a general rule, links should be taken from the network interface, not from a merchant newsletter.

Thanks Haiko - I hadn't seen that thread before.

I actually never take links directly from emails (this is the first time I thought about doing it), because I know the code can get garbled by Gmail, etc. But looks like all is well!

ABW Ambassador
    Not only can links get garbled in email, there have been instances where the link was just wrong and didn't track.

Talking
    Yeah, it always seems that those newsletters with included links come in pairs. First, there's the "Cool new offers" email. Then there's always the "Correction: Cool new offers, with correct links" email. :-)

I choose to just login and get them straight from the source instead of trusting the email version.

ABW Ambassador
    I sometimes find merchants don't include our affiliate ID in the newsletter links, I usually drop the merchant if that is the case. I have added links to my sites in the past when i was still fairly new and the Affiliate Id's in the newsletters were very similar to my own, sometimes they were the same and other times they were the merchants own ID they used. I think it is a very deceiving practice. If the merchant has something like XXXXXXX for the id then it's not so bad as it stands out. This is not usually a problem with Linkshare merchants as they always have my ID which is good.

It can be very tricky when you could be going through over 50 - 100 newsletters or more on some days although I have many merchants running on an automated system to convert those bogus Affiliate ID's into my own now.

I like the way some of the merchants on CJ send their newsletters with the links laid out with some clean pages to grab the links online & you don't have to login etc to get them.

I prefer merchants send the links this way or with the newsletter than them making me have to login and grab them, that can be a real PITA especially with the LS login.

I hope to see the day when all merchants use RSS feeds like AvantLink merchants use so I don't have to add links - they can do it or with Shareasale merchants then they can use the promotion feed or the Orange links from Performance. Merchants would spend more time understanding how to use these tools provided by the networks and less time sending fancy newsletters.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

15 years and counting
    Gingerbread - When I pull links from the newsletters I receive from merchants, they always end with &subid=0
    And when I pull links directly from the LS interface, they always end with &subid=
    It doesn't matter. =0 or = will track to your main site listed at LinkShare. You can even remove &subid=0 or &subid=

Anyway, &subid has no use anymore.
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=70126
    See how signature tracking works if you need to track each of your sites or a member.
    http://www.linkshare.com/rc/signature.html
    "LinkShare Signature tracks commerce to the transaction level of each individual member, organization, or sub site through the use of the Member ID field.
    The MemberID field is denoted by a "&u1=" that Signature affiliates must append to the merchant link codes provided in their LinkShare account. The value following the "=" sign represents the specific member, organization, or sub site created by the Signature affiliate. The MemberID field can be up to 72 alphanumeric characters in length."

This post is directed for Zeus,
    I'm an affiliate with The Link Share corp. I have just launched a new website, the approach is computer and accessories shopping service. I would like to know if your website or websites are successful? Also is there a way to email you directly so I may view your site or sites and to ask some direct questions having to do with my website. I could use some help and it looks to me that you have a pretty good lock on the game.
    Thank you,
    Slandingo

15 years and counting
    Hi Slandingo,
    Many people are successful with Affiliate Marketing. You can make a ton of money with LinkShare and the right merchants. One of the keys to success is to be unique and to offer something different to your visitors. I can give you a few domain names and tell you I made 1 million bucks last year. It will not help you. What was working last year maybe something to avoid this year. Affiliate marketing is changing pretty fast. You want to know what's going to work next year and build your web sites around a new concept and be the first to do it.
    ABW is a good school to learn about what doesn't work so you can save time and money by not doing the same mistakes. People will tell you about the merchants to avoid or their problems with tracking and reporting for each of the networks. They are not going to speak about their specific niches or their earning with their merchants. You'll have to find it on your own.
    If you're just starting and need a website review, I'll suggest this thread:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=146
    It's the affiliate site review, part of the ABestWeb Affiliate Academy
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=144
    You're new to ABW and you can't send PMs, yet. But, feel free to post your questions and I'm sure somebody will give you the right answer.
    Good luck for your new website and welcome to ABW.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    As a general rule, links should be taken from the network interface, not from a merchant newsletter.
    Too true! It's crazy how many times there are problems with links that come from newsletters...

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread