What would you do
    Say you run a forum, and your forum was spammed by a well known affiliate site.

Would you report them to CJ, Linkshare etc? Or would you warn them first.

Most of the time I report to the merchants directly and the sites I report are crappy. But this site that spammed my site today is a big time player atleast I think so.

I'll fess up to my dumminess cos I know how when people send people email without their permission it would be spam but same as the post from the other day about some sites getting banned and I couldn't understand why sites like Squidoo would...don't have a clue how you go about spamming an actual site. Not asking for an explanation, though.

Based on what you said:
    "Most of the time I report to the merchants directly and the sites I report are crappy."

What would be your reason for not reporting this site that's bigger?? If it's cos you think there's a possibility somehow that they spammed your forum somehow by mistake cos they don't understand how it's done....then you should ask them or tell them about it and see if it stops. Just my personal opinion....I always give people a second chance.... just in case. If you feel they did know exactly what they were doing, then why would you think it's ok for them to do it but not the crappy sites?? If what they were doing is wrong..big or not big, it's still wrong. But.....seems like from what everybody says around here....if they're that big chances are the networks will look the other way anyway.

Hope...whatever you do, they stop spamming you

Internet Cowboy
    If it is pure spam and the posts obviously have no other purpose I would report them without warning.

Well I just emailed CJ an linkshare, telling them to inform their affiliate and gave them the domain to their site. that i they continue to spam forums I will hvae my lawyer send proof t CJ/Linkshare of the spam.

Exclamation
    "you run a forum" -- doesn't that make you God? Why are you reporting them when all you have to do is ban them?

or did something get lost in the shuffle here?

I'd try and make sure it's actually the site in question doing the spamming ( and not someone else trying to get them into trouble).

I think the most diplomatic way is a username, email and IP ban. Reporting could potentially get nasty - just deal with your immediate problem.

Unless the IP is static an IP ban doesn't work. Site has been spammed atleast 3 times this week on 3 seperate user accounts. All directly to the same site.

They have one of those spam bots spamming forums.

I can block the first couple of numbers for the IP but then I block an entire ISP or in some cases an entire country.

Herb, her question was about reporting it to the networks.

I would say yes.

If I was a merchant, I would want to know about a spammer. I'd drop them without notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    "you run a forum" -- doesn't that make you God? Why are you reporting them when all you have to do is ban them?

or did something get lost in the shuffle here?

Because the best way to stop a spammer eliminate their income source.

I get other sites spamming my forum all the time. We delete and ban. Sometimes send emails to them.
    The networks won't do anything, that is what they always told me.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    Unless the IP is static an IP ban doesn't work. Site has been spammed atleast 3 times this week on 3 seperate user accounts. All directly to the same site.

They have one of those spam bots spamming forums.

I can block the first couple of numbers for the IP but then I block an entire ISP or in some cases an entire country.
    OK - can you find their host? I've had success with this before - most hosts will drop spammers like the plague.

Also, slower but very effective is coming up with a way to tell Google - who drop the site from page 1 to the depths of the unknown - forever.

It does not really matter whether its a big or small affiliate. If you feel that you are spammed, then go ahead and report it.

IP ban is futile because all they have to do is plug and unplug their modem and they're back in the game Report them!! Big players or not, gotta teach them a lesson.

I agree with contacting the host. I had someone spamming my personal website guestbook with affiliate stuff. I traced the host of the site and they took the site down after I showed proof. I also contacted his ISP who after seeing my proof terminated his internet access.

He has since used other ISPs and other hosts. I always contact them and have them deleted. I also programmed a php form verification script which checks for urls and certain keywords that are usually used in his spam. The script saves is input and his ip address for me automatically.

I also got bored for a while and redirected him to the ftc.gov website. You can do a lot with php.

I know - I'm an ass.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Would you report them to CJ, Linkshare etc?
    I'd report them to their merchants. Networks don't care, but many, if not most, merchants wouldn't want their companies associated with forum spam.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

well there is a sticky already about the site that spammed me so the deed is done.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread