Question Old Datafeeds need to be updated
    I have several merchants in SAS that I use their datafeeds. My problem is that several merchants (who I get sales from) have datafeeds from 2005. I have emailed them asking that they update the feeds but no luck.

My question is CAN Staff from SAS request that datafeeds that are older the 6-12 month's be updated??

Just an idea....

KSE

I hear ya never got a reply here when i contacted a merchant for data feed questions....leaving me wondering if they are even active

Brian I know that SAS is VERY WELL REGARDED but to have a feed from 2005 is less than professional there has to be a better way.

I am not blaming SAS for this, but I would like SAS to contact their merchants that have feeds are over 6-12 month's old and ask (or tell) them to please update their feed. The more upto date feeds we have the more sales and the more $$$ we will all make !!

One of the items that SaS recently fixed is that the update date, prior to the last few days, was not changing when merchants made feed updates via the merchant interface, rather than with a new feed upload.

It may be that the merchants you are looking at have been making edits, but making them online. This would show the update date of the original upload date instead of the date of actual updates. To be safe, you may want to download the feed in question and spot check it.

I actually just got off the phone with SaS on the same subject (Thanks, Michael), and they confirmed it has been fixed and that online updates will now change the update date, but may take up to 24 hours to show up.

Hope this helps.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

If they are making updates to the datafeed do they have to do something separate to update what shows in the make-a-page section?

Quote Originally Posted by porkchop
    If they are making updates to the datafeed do they have to do something separate to update what shows in the make-a-page section?
    If you are able to make a products page with the SAS make-a-page tool, you don't have to worry if the next day the datafeed gets all messed up, because once you paste that products page code on your site, nothing is going to change on your site until you make another page with the make-a-page tool.

You only have to worry, if you are depending on the categories you made with one datafeed, and they get changed on the next datafeed update and you have your site on automatic.

Unhappy
    Quote Originally Posted by Eathan
    One of the items that SaS recently fixed is that the update date, prior to the last few days, was not changing when merchants made feed updates via the merchant interface, rather than with a new feed upload.

It may be that the merchants you are looking at have been making edits, but making them online. This would show the update date of the original upload date instead of the date of actual updates. To be safe, you may want to download the feed in question and spot check it.

I actually just got off the phone with SaS on the same subject (Thanks, Michael), and they confirmed it has been fixed and that online updates will now change the update date, but may take up to 24 hours to show up.

Hope this helps.
    I was hoping that this was the case but I just checked again and the datafeed date is still 10/17/2005 . Is it possible for SAS to contact the merchants and ask that the feed be updated or is that not part of their role???

If they haven't made any updates since the fix (a week or so ago), it wouldn't change the date.

Have you tried calling the merchant and asking?
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Suggestion: A "Report Form" for Merchant Issues
    As I've been working on my "datafeed project" the past two weeks, I've been trying to identify each "group of issues" that I am confronting.

This thread is about one thing: whether a merchant's datafeed is "current." In some cases, I've verified that a merchant's "stale" datafeed does not match the current products or pricing (e.g. many links in the datafeed come up 404 or are redirected to the home page, and many prices in the datafeed are lower than the price the merchant has on the site).

Today, one of my scripts kept crashing on one datafeed file, and I finally checked it manually and discovered that the text fields were bloated with HTML code.

I've also been reporting bouncing email addresses for merchants (where I use the online contact form, and the email generated by SAS with my return address "bounces" back to me).

My suggestion: Could ShareASale create an online contact form, or designate an email address, for affiliates to use to report "technical and best-practices issues" about merchants? I have sent some notes by email, and others via the trouble-ticket system, but I think these should all get filtered into the same destination to be processed in a systematic way.

Of course, SAS might want to do the same for merchants to report on any issues they are having with specific affiliates.

The issue is, how can we efficiently inform "the right person" or "the right department" at SAS about specific issues where SAS should do a little bit of research and then contact the merchant (or affiliate) to suggest or request or demand changes (depending on the issue). It makes sense to have a system that filters these requests -- if a contact form included the merchant name or ID as a field, that would allow SAS staff to find and deal with all reported "issues" for a particular merchant at one time.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread