Best Affiliates
    Does anyone know of a database or listing that contains the top affiliates? As a merchant I would prefer to discuss with the top performers how best to partner in making a successful relationship.

From reading several threads within abestweb.com I've seen a consistent trend where merchants are frustrated with non-performing affiliates, and affiliates are frustrated with unresponsive merchants.

My preference would be to start personal relationships with the top affiliates and spend the time making those relationships as rewarding as possible for all involved.

Am I being totally naive here, or is it possible to just focus on the high powered affiliates?

Thanks for any advice.

ABW Ambassador
    You can buy a list of the "top 200" from Jeff M
    Good luck!

http and a telephoto
    **sigh**

Do you have affiliates already? Make *them* into top affiliates....

Or do what Adam says and good luck....

Where's that Magic Bullet thread again?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Loxly,

We haven't launched the affiliate program yet, so I'm doing a bunch of research on ABW to see what I should/shouldn't do. It just seems like some of the bad associated with this industry could be avoided if more personal relationships were started from the beginning that would make things beneficial for all.

I realize this may come across as naive, but I didn't think it would hurt to ask.

Thanks for the feedback.

Who is Jeff M?

Quote Originally Posted by or_wa
    As a merchant I would prefer to discuss with the top performers how best to partner in making a successful relationship.
    And I'd prefer to just sleep in all day and just watch my bank account grow without any input or effort on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by or_wa
    Am I being totally naive here...
    Yup..

On a more serious note, use that handy search function a bit more and you'll find all of the answers and insights you'll ever need.

Online Marketing Consultant
    A secondary approach to studying is to try and get ahold of the non performing affiliates and find out why they are not performing or at least performing well for that merchant at that time, and then go for the top ones too and figure how to keep them up at the top and happy.

It should be easier than you think to find the non performing affiliates. Look for posts of emails and complaints where AMs send out termination letters due to a lack of sales or participation. Then disregard all of the bad talk from AMs Networks and Affiliates and read what the legitimate reasons they may have not been performing at that time were; (In reading I mean read what the affiliate said as far as why their performance slowed) or why the affiliate stopped performing for a while. You might be able to find some solid thoughts there as well without having to track people down or pay for lists. Get creative and you will find your info and resources.
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

Liquidate,

Thanks for the constructive feedback. I don't think it is totally unrealistic to focus on the top affiliates. I shall take your advice and expand from there.

Thanks again.

You can do some google searches (on stuff you sell) and find affiliate sites that rank well. That will give you some possibilities.

It will be tedious seperating the aff sites from the merchants, but if you get creative with your searches (think things aff. sites have in common) you can whittle it down some.

Or follow the other advice given here, its good.

First, there is no top affiliates list for your particular program. The "lists" that do exist are mostly bunk and mostly broad. The fact that I sold $1million in a year for one program, does not mean I could or would sell even $100 for your program. Recruit websites and publishers that you think fit your product line.

Find the sites you want to work with and contact them on a one to one basis. Do not send a generic email, do not blow hype up their butts, but contact them like potential business partners.

Second, you're not established, so don't try to bite off more than you can chew. AOL is probably a top affiliate when all is said and done, but you likely won't land them until you are a proven and established performer.

Third, a lot of top-notch affiliates are not on any lists, anywhere. They fly under the radar, producing really solid results for the merchants they work with, but never make the top-200 all purpose whosit/whatsit lists. Chances are, your future top preformers are in this category.

Fourth, aren't most of the kids making the lists parasites and spammers, therefore completely transient as far as staying power? I'll admit, I've never looked at one of those lists...

BTW, I wrote an article on sabotaging affiliate recruiting efforts that may be useful when you do get started.

Best of luck.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Why would top affiliates want to work with you?

(I'm not saying anything about you. I don't even know who you are. But this is a question you're going to have to ask yourself if you want to be able to reach top affiliates. Everyone is trying to reach the top affiliates, so you're going to have to stand out if you want their attention.)

Also, top affiliates vary from merchant to merchant. Just because someone is a top affiliate for Zappos.com doesn't mean they'll do well with Nannies4Hire.com, for instance. They might have a site focused on shoes.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    I'm sorry but you come across as totally arrogant to me. In other works your saying screw all affiliates that don't make hundreds of thousands a year and I only want to work with the elite. GOOD LUCK!

It would be a very sad industry if all Affiliate Managers had your attitude.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

I am searching for Magic Bullet thread....Loxly....where did you hide it?
    Sandra Martin
    sandeebottom at hotmail.com

ABW Ambassador

Thank you!
    Sandra Martin
    sandeebottom at hotmail.com

Outsourced Program Manager Rick - Bitcom's Avatar
    or_wa we don't mean to be rude to you...there really is much to learn here. But most everyone here learned through blood, sweat, and tears and they certainly won't give away any secrets until you earn their respect.

If you are a new merchant with a new program (which from your question it seems you are) you need to do much learning and much searching here before you get people to really help you. Some humility and hard work will go a long way.

But good luck. You have come to the right place.

One thing I can always count on in this forum is brutally honest feedback. It is interesting to see how various people read into my initial and subsequent posts. Some people understood the angle of my question, while others took it another way.

Bottom line is a merchant has to earn their stripes and attract the best affiliates going forward.

I continue to live and learn...thanks to all for the feedback, both good and bad.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread