I read the thread in the Coldwater Creek forum and was really impressed with Jaime, who tried out Morpheus and saw firsthand how it stole away commissions from other affiliates. As a result, I wanted to start up a thread here to discuss organizing somehow to convince other merchants to do the same. Sure, we could all separately email merchants and point them to that part of the Coldwater Creek thread where the proof came out, but isn't there something more compelling we can do? Is there something we can do in groups? Something strategic to convince merchants that what Morpheus does is wrong, and that we won't stand for it? I have a feeling we're going to have to develop a campaign of sorts if we really want to effect change. Let's see what ideas we can come up with here!

J

ABW Ambassador
    I think we target a major merchant that is both online and offline.

I think we target best buy.

Why?

They are big.
    Their image makes them out like they are supposed to be hip and with it.
    They are everywhere.
    My few friends in the media said they would cover it. (when wurldmedia originally sent the goon to my house I asked them not to do a story to give wurldmedia the benefit of the doubt, they still have my photos of the loser and my statement from that day).

It would be very easy to get press to show up for a physical store protest. Pick one where 10 or of us can show (multiple stores on the same day would be better).

Pick a date. Bring your friends. Get laughed at by the locals, but ignore it. Best buy doesn't need the bad press.

Play up how this damages small independent websites, pick a few near and dear (*cough*lexy foundation counters *cough*) that rely on amazon or other affiliate money. Protest that best buys support of wurldmedia is going to be the end of these sites. We need poster childs of who is going to be hurt.

Couple of rules.
    Don't lie, don't exaggerate. Anywhere.
    Make your message short and sweet,sound bites - this is taking from this, it will be its end.
    Don't bother making the full logical arguement, offer up sound bites only.
    Contact the local media first, these events are staged, the camera needs to know where to be.

To be fair to best buy, warn them first. If they fold, Barnes & Noble, then the gap etc. Once the first one gets the bad press, the rest won't stick around.

And a little personal note to kurt at wurldmedia who I know is readin this, I am going to destroy your company. Threaten me again that you are taking that as a terrorist threat, whatever you want, send goons to my house again, threaten me with your top cop - guess what? Piss off kurt. You lied to me. You are scum.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    I feel terrible, the scumbags name is kirk not kurt. Why didn't anyone correct me?

Here is a choice quote from the lying scumbag dated april 30th of this year.
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Kirk Feathers, chief technology officer for Wurld, acknowledged today that the company's software may be affecting revenues of sites that participate in affiliate programs. But Feathers said Wurld is "absolutely" committed to correcting the problem.

"To be honest, we were so customer-focused we hadn't really contemplated the impact on other publishers. But when that concern was brought to us, we immediately starting working on a solution that would benefit everybody," he said.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now why would they go back to the broken model, unless the fixed non-predatory model simply did not work for them?

I had my friend who is of the legal persuasion over tonight. When we were not talking about how the browns are going to rule the NFL, we were talking about this.

Seems in his eyes wurldmedia committed the cardinal sin of admitting what they were originally doing was wrong. To quote him "once you are a bastard, legally it is alot easier just to stay a bastard".

Now I am not a lawyer so I will not pretend to be able to understand that technical legal talk, but his thought was they left themselves open by fixing a problem and then reinventing the legal issue.

I am not a lawyer, I just drink with one. And while this is not his field of expertise, he suggested we contact EFF or other national group and see if anyone would take up the case.

Thoughts? Anyone know anyone? Was he wrong? (he also said couch was better than Holcomb, so I think he was pretty drunk). Haiko seems like the great organizer on this, I don't think we should shut out this line of response.

Chet

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> "To be honest, we were so customer-focused we hadn't really contemplated the impact on other publishers. But when that concern was brought to us, we immediately starting working on a solution that would benefit everybody," he said. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And then, after "fixing" the problem with a new release, they sneakily went back to their original business plan of stealing commissions from other publishers.

I guess they haven't considered that publishers could very well be their customer as well. Now how "customer-focused" is that?

Regardless of what they might say or do to legitimize themselves, they are bottom feeders, sucking the life out of real publishers who try to add something to the Internet experience instead of just feeding off of it.

Andy

Picketing Morpheus-affiliated companies and contacting the EFF or other organizations is all very well and good, but I like the immediate response of an affiliate manager seeing how we are being screwed. I would like to see some of us team up to contact some of the not-so-huge companies - those we may have some sort of relationship with - and educate them.

The really big boys don't care about us, so we would have to take different, more visible measures (EFF, taking it to the media). The smaller companies are more likely to care whether we are being treated properly and I think they can be persuaded if only they see what Morpheus is doing.

J

ABW Ambassador
    I asked Haiko to put something up, for us to direct merchants to.

I'm starting to think It won't matter, and I'm just going to tell them to download Morpheus and check it out themselves, providing they change the shopping feature to pop up. They will see that any bookmarked site, will pop up as them earning comission.

We just have to hit them on their bottom line. The mighty dollar.

------------------------------------------------------------Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open. Thomas Dewar

&gt;&gt; They will see that any bookmarked site, will pop up as them earning comission.

I suspect that's part of the difficulty in getting AM's to really look into the issue. By the parasites monetizing bookmarks and Merchants' PPC listings with their Affiliate ID, it gives the appearance that more sales are coming in through affiliate channels than is actually the case. From some AM's perspectives, that would be a very good thing.

{

"Laziness, Impatience, Hubris. Pick any three" ~ YAPC 19100

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread