Linkshare Cookie Question
    Hello all,

I've been reading up on this, but I'm trying to get a few things straight. Any answers or insight would be greatly appreciated.

I've been told that linkshare does not rely on cookies for tracking. Having said that, what happens if you don't have the 1x1 pixel in place (like if you ONLY use the main affiliate link and not the rest of that code that linkshare provides you for a merchant link)?

What purpose does the affiliate cookie set serve?

Also, I've been in talks with a few merchants (both linkshare and non-linkshare merchants) in regards to setting up a system where when users click a button, they can go straight to a specific product page (instead of a general page that the affiliate link would direct them too) and it would set a cookie right then instead of relying on the normal affiliate link (the cookie would be the same one).

I received permission to do this, so it's only a matter of if it will work correctly.

If this was done with Linkshare, would that work? The merchants in question say that it should be fine, but I want a little reassurance from anyone out here who knows a bit more on how these things work.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

15 years and counting
    briankoz - I've been told that linkshare does not rely on cookies for tracking.
    LinkShare don't set a cookie for tracking because with their technology the cookie is set by the merchant to track return days. Without an "affiliate cookie" no return days. Return days are the number of days an affiliate can earn commission on a conversion (sale or lead) by a referred visitor.
    what happens if you don't have the 1x1 pixel in place
    The 1x1 pixel is used to track impressions. If you don't use it in your links, tracking is not affected. In this case, only clicks and sales are reported, not impressions.
    I received permission to do this, (go straight to a specific product page) so it's only a matter of if it will work correctly.
    If this was done with Linkshare, would that work?
    With many LinkShare merchants, you can redirect your links to a product page. They have a special tool (called Individual Links) in their interface. Use it, it works and you'll have no problem.

3. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread