Question Keyword order
    Hi everyone, noob question here.

I have a question about how search engines view keyword phrases. More specifically, I am wondering about the importance of the order of keywords in a keyword phrase.

For instance, if you were selling blue widgets in California, and you decided that the keywords you would concentrate on would be "blue, widgets, California", from what I understand, you would want those keywords in your url, h1, article text, backlinks, etc.

Now, if according to "Good Keywords", or whatever keyword research tool you may be using, the most common search phrase for those keywords is actually "California widgets blue", does it matter if your keyword phrases match that order specifically?

www.californiabluewidgets.com
    www.bluecaliforniawidgets.com
    www.widgetsbluecalifornia.com
    www.californiawidgetsblue.com

Would all of these urls be equally as effective at targeting the phrase "California widgets blue" or would the last one be more effective due to the keyword order? And would dashes between the keywords in the url make any difference?

I hope I have made my question clear.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

Riley

a match is a match and dashes do count, but keep in mind the domain is just one factor.

So here is a question for you ;-)

would it be better to have a domain that was "caliwidget.com" with sub pages like blue.html and red.html? It is possible to have the 1st SERP without having a matching domain, so how would you max the potential of the vertical?

try researching for all in URL relavence or something along that line and you should see a few oppinions.

Vertical?
    Thanks Mr, I appreciate the quick reply.

I see what you mean by the URL being only one aspect. It wasn't the URL match that I had foremost in my mind when I thought of the question. I was thinking more about keyword order in general. Whether it is in the URL, article text, linking text, etc. Are you saying that the order of keywords plays no role whatsoever? Even if the incoming link text to your site doesn't match the keyword order of the most frequent keyword query? A keyword combo is a keyword combo regardless of the order or dashes?

I ask this question because I notice that if you query "California blue widgets" in Google you might get 1,000,000 results back. If you query "blue California widgets" you may get 10,000 results back.

I am not quite sure what you mean by vertical. Does vertical mean the number of keyword matches more deeply linked within your site?

Thanks for your help.

Yes, the oder of keywords does matter. The way you choose your domain and website title is going to have an impact on the way people link to you, if nothing else. So if you want to rank for Blue Widgets more than Widgets Blue, you should call your website Blue Widgets for many reasons, including keyword relevance and the anchor text you hope to get.

With that said, realize that many KW research tools out there do not properly order the words in a phrase. Some of the most popular ones will put the words in the phrase in alphabetical order.

Also, keep in mind the search volume. Don't just choose one version over the other because there is less competition. It might be that there is no competition because everyone else already knows that people just don't search for it that way, so why bother?

Find the sweet spot. Divide the amount of times the term gets searched for by the amount of competing websites to come up with a good ratio that accomplishes both: brings in a lot of searches and doesn't have much competition.

Good luck.

simply put google will look for an exact match first then take into account other strenghts of listings within the SERP

I assume you're wanting to rank high with an organic search. If the most common search term is California widgets blue, then that is the search phrase for which you need to optimize your page.

You should also limit the number of keywords/keyphrases you use to no more that 10-12 otherwise the keywords will become 'dilluted'.

Also keep in mind readability. Your website is for people, not search engines. If all your SEO makes your site sound silly, people won't come, won't link, and you won't rank.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

You are in, or you are out ... choose!
    Also keep in mind that "Good Keywords" take their data from Oveture, who are in the habit of sometimes Alphebetising their data, not always, but sometimes, which is enough to put the word order in "Good Keywords"/Overture data into doubt. Even though they might say that people are searching for "are cars faster red" it makes more sense for people to be searching for "are red cars faster".

So, even though keywords in domain/url is of lesser value these days, if you do want to go that route then choose the combination that sounds logical and natural.
    [url=http://www.dWoz.com/][b]dWoz[/b][/url] - serious webmaster tools & resources.

Thumbs up Thanks people
    Thanks for all of the input.

I think that answers my question.

Thanks again.

Riley

No problem Riley.

Good luck with it all!

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread