ABW Ambassador
    Thumbs up Finally, PPC Transparency
    In the last year and a half, a trickle of large media sites like ESPN.com, FoxNews.com and Cox Newspapers’ 17 sites have stopped using Google and Yahoo and instead signed up with Quigo.

What Quigo offers is transparency and control in what can often be an opaque business: advertisers pay Yahoo and Google for contextual ad placement on a wide variety of Web pages, but get little say over where those ads run or even a list of sites where they do appear.

Quigo, by contrast, gives advertisers not only the list of specific sites where their ads have appeared but also the opportunity to buy only on specific Web sites or particular pages on those sites. It also allows media company sites like ESPN.com and FoxNews.com a chance to manage their own relationships with advertisers.

NY TIMES

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Great concept in PPCSE advertising as I'm sure those primo content sites have no click slaves, or a bevy of MFA type click traps.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    I think google is already looking down a similar road with features like these:
    https://www.google.com/adsense/suppo...y?answer=50691

It is a real chicken/egg challenge as they already have an established base.

Chet

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quigo's transparency has gotten G's attention! As some lawsuits have tagged some big players, the need for transparency is becoming more important to advertisers. I wish G and Y would have done this earlier, but Quigo's forcing their hand now.

I don't believe it's announced yet, but in less than 2 months, the beta, within adwords, to show the urls of where your ads run is coming.

As is typical, Y isn't doing this yet (as far as I know). The content network at Y is a sham and I bet they won't do it for some time. Displaying what they have now, would be very embarassing.

If you're an affiliate using adsense, and you provide real traffic, this transparency is a good thing. Now, you're mixed in with everyone, good and bad. Once people see that you have good traffic, they'll pay more and chase your site down with site-targeted CPM ads as well. I am guessing (haven't gotten confirmation), that G will add some flexible bidding options within a CPC framework to further leverage the transparency of good sites into higher bids - so that advertisers can stay on CPC basis and chase down the better sources of traffic too.

If you've got a crummy adsense site (crummy = your traffic doesn't convert), transparency is very bad news.

ABW Ambassador
    >>>If you've got a crummy adsense site (crummy = your traffic doesn't convert), transparency is very bad news.

My "built 4 adsense" buds are $ing bricks.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Donuts]I don't believe it's announced yet, but in less than 2 months, the beta, within adwords, to show the urls of where your ads run is coming. QUOTE]It's about time. I'm about to give up on Y and MSN.

Quigo's looks very good, so I am sure G will be all over it soon.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    You can't even get Adwords staff to give you straight answers on how to block their MFA syndicate's URL's. I've tried for months to block www.SuspendersCatalog.com using the Adwords control panel, but even the blacklist feature ignors this preferred Google search partner who gets a discounted keyword price for hundreds of MFA click trap URLs to play the arbitridge game with full Google knowledge.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Affiliate Manager
    Does anyone know what the minimum buy is on the Quigo network?

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    site exclusion feature once, only applied to the content network. the crapola site you referred to, is likely part of a parked domain network that G includes in it's search network - but it can be classified one of many ways within adwords. it might be search, it might be content. it might be parked domain, it might not. there's not an easy way to tell in every case. this is a major source of bad traffic and confusion within G. there has been talk of applying the site exclusion sites to the search network - and it's supposed to work that way now for any parked domain site, even if in the search netowrk - but as i said, just cuz it looks like a parked domain, doesn't mean it is a "parked domain" classification inside G's walls.

they did increase the number of sites from 25 to 500 and then to unlimited, so they recognize your list needed to be long in some cases...

then they extended exclusion to all parked domain sites, even if they were in the search network (there's an exception to this rule as well, having to do with contracts G has with certain parked domain and parked domain hybrid partners).

you might consider using the adwords valuetrack system (or google analytics) to track down the domain and show G that the traffic has a short stay time and never converts...

along the way, you may learn that the search network isn't a good returning source of traffic overall... turning it off as a result... as G reluctantly gives us more control, they're finding we want to weed out the crap. They used to be content with sticking us with fewer choices - but there's so many weeds, people are running with content and search turned off... which forces G to give us more control.

they need to wise up and give us more granular control, or else more and more roi sensitive orgs will ditch whole sectors like content and search and just tap into traffic at google.com itself.

in any case Mike, try again to add this domain to your excluded sites - it's creeping towards the point when G will extend your settings to more and more categories, even preferred search network parked domains.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread