ABW Ambassador
    Compusa closing 126 stores (over half)
    http://www.reuters.com/article/bonds...24379720070228
    CompUSA, the computer and gadget retailer owned by Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim, said on Tuesday it would close more than half of its U.S. retail locations over the next two to three months to focus on top performing locations.

CompUSA said in a statement it would close 126 of its stores and would receive a $440 million cash capital infusion, but it was not specific as to the source of the cash. The company also said it would cut costs and restructure.

The company operates 225 stores, which its Web site says are located in the United States and Puerto Rico.
    Huh, who knew crappy service, rude sales people and high prices could actually effect the bottom line...

who knew the computer I have right now was really a refurbished compaq...UNTIL it was too late to do anything about it thru compusa.

From the state of the store near me, I can pretty much guarantee they'll be one of the closed ones.

http and a telephoto
    Glad I moved to where I am now close to a Fry's... although in CA I only shopped at Best Buy and Circuit City, haven't been in a CompUsa in over a year (there is one back in Rochester that I visited once in a while, but hadn't bought from in several years).
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    As a Mac user who has bought all the big stuff directly from Apple, when it comes to looking for peripherals, cables, software, other incidentals for Mac equipment, I have found over many years that Best Buy, Circuit City, Frys, and most such stores know nothing about Mac equipment, don't want to know anything, and certainly stock virtually nothing Mac compatible. The only large computer store closer than the Apple store 25 miles from here that is Mac-friendly and might actually have something compatible is CompUSA.

On the local news tonight they said it appears the all of the Los Angeles-area CompUSA stores will be closing.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Huh, who knew crappy service, rude sales people and high prices could actually effect the bottom line...
    Just this past weekend, Dave ran into our local to grab a fan for a computer he was rebuilding. There was a clerk in his path who asked if he could help. Dave rattled off the specs of the one he was going to look for and the guy sneered and said - "we don't carry those; that's old technology. You'll have to ...blah, blah, blah."

I would have left at that point, but Dave reached around him, took what he had just described off the shelf and went to stand in line at the cashier.

They should just create local warehouse pick-up docks where you can go retrieve your on-line order.

Yeah I'm not going to lose any sleep over this. I buy most of my computer stuff at TigerDirect anyway.

I bought a laptop last year from CompUSA, and the experience was forgettable to say the least.

I researched online and found and Acer laptop with great specs for a good price at CompUSA. So I drive down to the closest store, the sales clerk was nice but said they were sold out. He checks the computer and confirms there are 10+ of them at another location in the city.

So I drive to the next CompUSA, ask for the laptop knowing they are in stock. The sales rep starts trying to pitch the extended warranty (which I did not want), he starts getting agitated because I'm not buying the extended warranty. I finally tell him "Look, I'm just here for the laptop, can I get one and be on my way?". So he goes to the back to get one, comes back and says he's SOLD OUT. I tell him the other store just checked 30 mins ago and there were plenty in stock.

Now I know they have them in stock and he doesn't want to sell it to me because I'm not buying the warranty, so I ask for the manager. The manager comes out and tells me some lame story that all the ones they have left are ALL on hold for a customer. I get a little nasty with him and tell him "Listen, I hope this doesn't have anything to do with the fact I'm not buying your extended warranty, that would be awful business practice on your part". So he goes to the back and miraculously finds an available laptop.

To make a long story short, I have not stepped foot in a CompUSA since, and could care less if they closed down ALL their stores!

Affiliate Manager
    What is really fun is to single them out, corner them and start grilling them with questions you know they don't know answers to.

As I walk into the store I get ignored as I walk by six people all standing at one cash register scratching their heads trying to figure out how to complete a return. This doesn't bother so much, but sometimes you like to at least hear someone acknowledge the fact that you showed up to give them money.
    As I wind my way back to the video cards I notice a "lost" employee who is just standing there. Not cleaning, facing or doing anything productive, just standing in one spot like a wax doll.
    I have to pretty much stand 12 inches away from him and start humming loudly for him to turn and ask if I need any help.
    That is when I strike. Straighten up with a snap of the spine!
    "Do you know if this PCIe card will run better on my Dell Pentium 3 than say the AGP equivalent and what exactly is the refresh rate for my wide screen monitor if I overclock?"
    Of course, the refresh rate question is completely unanswerable without knowing what monitor it is and he could easily have said, "Check your users manual." but instead he spends ten minutes staring at the back of the ATI boxes looking for refresh rates.

So do your community a favor and the next time you drive by a CompUSA, pull in to their parking lot. Walk into their store. Then just slap the hell out of the first employee you see.

Quote Originally Posted by chetf

Not once did they mention the hundreds of people that would be put out of work because of poor management. I hate seeing real people getting canned when the upper management should be the ones getting fired.

15 years and counting
    Who can survive in that business? I remember their first superstores in Florida and Georgia. I spent hours talking to their very knowledgeable staff. It was 17 years ago and I was impressed. I don't remember last time I bought something in one of their stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    Who can survive in that business?
    Fry's. I can spend a whole day in that store.

Quote Originally Posted by Mack
    Fry's. I can spend a whole day in that store.
    I don't know about you guys, but all the Fry's we have out here are notorious for terrible customer support. They can never answer my questions and always seem to hide when I look like I've got a question. Most everything in the store has been returned and you've got a wait in a 30 minute line to make your own returns.

I've found that computer shows held on the weekends at fairgrounds are the best bet. But lately I've just been ordering online. Bought my last Mac from MacConnection and everything went like clockwork.

As for CompUSA I just hope they don't close their affiliate program.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Yeah, Fry's is awful for returns. It seems like their prices are nowhere near as good as they used to be, either. Still, they're far far far better than CompUSA.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    At least at CompUSA, if you don't buy anything, you can just walk out the front door. At Fry's, you have a thirty-minute obstacle course through a ridiculous maze just to leave.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    both has its pro - cons.

I have bought a few things from comp-usa but their prices and service is not the best. definately easier to get out as oppose to fry

Quote Originally Posted by splinterproject
    So do your community a favor and the next time you drive by a CompUSA, pull in to their parking lot. Walk into their store. Then just slap the hell out of the first employee you see.
    HAHAHAHA!!!!
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread