Email received from haiko@bestweb.com

===============
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    All,

I have found a fantastic software program that identified a highly malicious Trojan on my system that even after multiple ad-aware and antivirus scans never showed up! I highly suggest that everyone download the SpyWare Eliminator and do the scan to see what is really on your system and finally clean it completely. Click Here to download it now

Continued Success,

Haiko
    haiko@abestweb.com
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    ==================

This doesn't look like your normal mails?

'I am not young enough to know everything.'
    - Oscar Wilde

ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    I got it too. I think someone spammed with Haiko's email address.

ABW Ambassador
    I got it too and was worried that it wasn't legit. I have no problems with Haiko contacting me or send me things like that in the mail...I had to think twice about the validity....(still thinking [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

{Edit} I did notice the headers look very legit, and came from infopoop....I just questioned it because it didn't look like the usual Haiko....;)

TH Media-Web Solutions For The Small Business
    Check Out The TH Media Affiliate Program

ABW Ambassador
    I was also surprised.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I got it too. I think someone spammed with Haiko's email address. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If they did, they must have the database as well.

I don't understand why anyone thinks its spam. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    My ABW mail comes to a 'strange' email address which I used specifically for ABW, and which I have not posted publicly anywhere. So I 'know' it came from ABW, not elsewhere.

As far as the affiliate link, so what? Haiko's gotta eat too. (and smoke [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img])

AS SEEN ON SE!!!

Deelz, That's what I meant to say [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Perhaps it is just matter of being paranoid [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    I don't think anybody would have a problem with Haiko including an affiliate link in the e-mail...Heck, it would be one of my ways of supporting ABW, and I would welcome any affiliate links he sends my way...

To me, the tone didn't sound like Haiko and I wanted to verify its validity before I go and download the software....

Guess it goes to prove that I can be nut sometimes [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    The only reason I thought it was spam is because I have never gotten anything like this before from Haiko.

As long as it's legit from Haiko, I welcome helping him out. But I'm so paranoid these days, that I worry when things don't seem normal.

Now I will go click the link because I know I can trust it is from him.

ABW Ambassador
    Well I used his link and bought the program. It found Alexa, NetZip, Hack A Tack, Spector and Ghost Key. Don't know what they were other than I think NETZip was from Optonine. Whatever they are gone for good. I always thought I was careful but guess not careful enough.
    Cazzie [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I too checked out the headers - but the thing that got me was the use of bold type in the message it reminded me of someone who was banned from the board earlier in the year!

The other thing was the link to opt out sent me to a page that needed moderator approval.

'I am not young enough to know everything.'
    - Oscar Wilde

All,

It is NOT spam ... it is a call to action!

I'm not trying to imply anything against any particular company but since Friday I have seen browser anomalies and total weirdness... screenshots of the problems I had are:

http://www.abestweb.com/pop1.jpg

http://www.abestweb.com/pop2.jpg

http://www.abestweb.com/pop3.jpg

... this software identified six different files that no other program identified!

I have a firewall, Norton and ad-aware ... yet these files remained and screwed up my system. I wanted to alert others of this also. Yes, the link had an affiliate link, but the impetus was to download the software to scan your system If nothing was found then fine, if it was then just go to the main page and overwrite the cookie if you want to purchase it. This is email was not spam it was for people to act and really scan their systems and I find it ridiculous that anyone calls it spam, since over a year we have never sent out any message that would not improve your business.

BTW - The malicious trojan that was not found, by my other means of protection, was:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The Aureate Trojan continues the tradition of the TSADBOT Trojan by secretively installing itself as a Windows Service. In addition, it registers itself as a browser helper app so that it loads with your Web browser, and could in theory monitor every site you visit! It is nearly impossible to remove from the system, and runs fully cloaked--even if the end-user has enough advanced knowledge of computers to remove the software and its Windows hooks, you can't kill what you can't see. You may be infected with the Aureate Trojan and not even know it! Aureate / Radiate 's SpyWare DLL has been verified to cause browser instability and crashes.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The computer I'm on crashed and I had to do a full reinstall of Win98 a month or so ago so it is NOT an old file!!!! How you like them apples?

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If nothing was found then fine, if it was then just go to the main page and overwrite the cookie if you want to purchase it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah Balognia Haiko! You deserve those commissions. Many of us have been talking about ways to help out. We all want to see abw succeed and part of that does mean for you to have an income from this. There is no reason this can't be one of the smaller tokens of my/our appreciation for what you have for us here.

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
    - Thomas Jefferson

Here is my receipt

If you have a question please refer to the order ID listed below.

Order ID: 1*4*0*4
    Date: Monday, September 23, 2002. 6:43:45 PM.

and again I thank you for what you do here.

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
    - Thomas Jefferson

[This message was edited by Heyder on September 23, 2002 at 06:54 PM.]

Umm I posted here that it was coming up with false positives, especially identifying keyloggers in the ZoneAlarm config file. Use with caution.

Меня зовут Динаму

ABW Ambassador
    Haiko,
    Thank you for the clarification...as well as sharing the experience...I'm downloading now [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I never considered the e-mail SPAM (and think most didn't think so either). The fact that you haven't mailed out in over a year is probably one of the reasons my flags went up. And, as pointed out in a previous post, it did look like some members who were banned. I just wanted to double check it was from you, and nothing further. Thanks again!!!

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    I was suspicous also, but not that it was spam but that someone was screwing around with Haiko and had forged his address with a link to something called sypware elminator (that of course we would be interested in) but was really to some type of trojan or virus. I'm getting very paranoid. Then I checked the hearder and so it came from a thmedia mail server and figured it was safe to click the link. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] I didn't even notice it was an affiliate link. And I could care less if it was. It was just because I've never gotten an email like that before. Haiko you can send me stuff like that anytime you want.

Glad it caught that on your computer. Thankfully all it picked up on mine was Alexa (which I have no clue how that got on here) and some fastclick and doubleclick cookies. ::::breathing sigh of relief:::

Thanks Haiko
    Like you I have Norton and ad-aware yet this one found 25 files that ad-aware missed. I will be buying and through your link. I will post you the receipt info when I get it.

Travel safe
    Gordon
    YouTrek

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    It's fine with me to receive e-mails like this from Haiko when they can save my butt from adware viruses and spywarez. Heck ..post your cookied link to this valuable virus scanner right on this section to assist all the ABWers and feed the captain.

WebMaster Mike

Yup, like a *lot* of folks I'd guess, I waited until I was sure the note really came from Haiko, then D/L'd the trial version, ran it, and then ordered via Haiko's link.

I also run Norton and Adaware, and it found 4 things that neither had caught. All seem legit.

Haiko, thanks for letting us know about this.

And thanks for telling us it's O.K. to "go around" your affiliate link if we wish. I know you felt you had to say that, but frankly I don't see anyone here not *wanting* you to get a commission for it.

-- Mike

ABW Ambassador
    BLFH,
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> and so it came from a thmedia mail server and <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just for clarification, this e-mail did not originiate from our servers..it was infopoop. If you saw cherokee.thmedia.net (I think your on Cherokee [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ), then you saw the mail come through to your domain. If it was referenced as a 'From' address, then you may have set up forwarding from 1 address to another and it envelopes it to the second address....

Here you go Haiko
    Thanks it found 25 on my machine [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] I'll bl**dy kill that Pauline. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

If you have a question please refer to the order ID listed below.

Order ID: 1*4*9*4
    Date: Monday, September 23, 2002. 11:25:34 PM.

Name: Gordon Skevy
    Company:
    Email: gordon@youtrek.com

Travel safe
    Gordon
    YouTrek

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Tom

Sure did say received to cherokee.thmedia.net. Ok, now it's really time for me to get some rest or at least rest my eyes from hours on end in front of the monitor. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Now I'm really glad it wasn't a hoax email.

BTW, did you name that server yourself? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread