Is it time to show our collective negotiating strength by organising an affiliate strike for 24 hours (or more) on all merchants supporting scumware.

It would need to be planned some time ahead in order to get everyone ready but at the same time alert the merchants / press to what we are doing.

I appreciate our earnings would take a hit for the strike period but it should also reflect in Morpheous/ buyersports figures as well!

Thoughts or am I going too far?

'I am not young enough to know everything.'
    - Oscar Wilde

ABW Ambassador
    It would be nice in theroy. But the problem is "getting every one together on this plan"

"Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open." Thomas Dewar

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Totally a worthless effort for US affiliates. We rather need to put efforts into showcasing merchants who are parasite free and convert traffic into commissions in our pockets. The networks and merchants have to see that we collectively can handle all the sales they need to grow their businesses. We have to build the revenues of affiliate friendly merchants to a point they can't do without us ..not strike or boycott just to get their attention.

You don't realize the number of SILENT merchants who visit this site. Out of the 5700 members here you'll only see maybe 200 actively posting ..the rest are lurking these boards to pick up tips, spy on competitors and see how the troops are fairing. Those who remain silent are missing the opportunity to recruit active affiliates which is a job the networks do very poorly.

The problem is they are too lazy to build sites that sell and go with the Dupers and parasites or they know they aren't about to concentrate on converting targeted affiliate traffic. They are advertisers ..not sales partners. If your striking the parasites for 24 hours they just take 100% of that days total affiliate take if all normal affiliate sites & pages went black for the day.

WebMaster Mike

Glad I got a response, but I take issue with one point Mike, as the parasites earn commissions by hijacking our links how would they get revenue in our abscence?

'I am not young enough to know everything.'
    - Oscar Wilde

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Gary,

Things vary from parasite program to program. But not all of their revenue comes from hijacked sales from other affiliate's site. For example Morpheus had it's own web site, buyersport.com. Now how many sales come directly from that site or the links on Morpheus P2P program is another topic, but there are sure to be some. Likewise, eBates has it's own site. Not all the sales come from the Top Moxie Buyer Alert. No one ever said 100% of the parasite's revenue was stolen traffic. That's the reason for Mike's comment. They also will feed off of SE returns, email links, and direct URL type in's. So even if the affiliate's boycotted, some sales would be coming in through the parasite's to the merchants. If I was a merchant and willing to make the deal with the parasite's I would just suck up the dip in sales for a 24 hours period.

I'm thinking this balls-up is more the networks fault than the merchants.

I'd be up for a 24 hour strike on any network that has a parasitic affiliate.

I

ABW Ambassador
    I don't think it would help our cause. Some of the parasites insert their ID's into the click stream even on normal click throughs from search engines, type-ins, etc. I think we'd be just giving the clueless AM's who see the duper's sales as high and ours as "not as high" more ammunition... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] Plus I don't see enough getting behind this to make it happen... just my opinion.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Hi All

At the end of the day I think it comes down to each individual affiliate partner as to whether they want to support a merchant that supports a software that potentially steals their sales.

Each individual can choose to make a life time boycott of such merchants and support others that have declared against this kind of theft.

Cheers

Chris

Chris Sanderson
    Mondera Partner Management
    Mondera : Click Here
    Mondera Partner Support Zone : Click Here

Web Studio-1 Solutions Co., Ltd : Click Here
    Microsoft Certified Partner
    Affiliate Management and Marketing Solutions

ABW Ambassador
    The only way to be successful is to use our strength together in a measured and forceful way.

A 24 hour ban on all merchants is a pain for us and would not do a thing. Pick a merchant every week (or more often) for us to ban until they change they position and we could be effective.

I think we have to ban together to start fighting this war. Let not be the meek sheep gang.

I think BLFH makes a valid point, not all of their revenue comes from hijacked traffic. In fact, I would imagine that very little of the income is derived this way. For there to be hijacked commissions, the user must be infected and the parasite must be promoting the same programs that you are, correct? It's tough to track these things but my gut says this is a farily rare occurrence.

Still, stealing is stealing and it's ridiculous that this technique continues to be permitted. If the above assumption is true, targeting and individual merchant is going to have little effect on the parasites and as BLFH also mentioned, it would actually further skew the figures in favor for the parasites.

However, if we were to boycott whole networks, as Icicle suggests, we would have a much more dramatic and direct effect. The networks can not survive without us, whereas most merchants do not really depend on their affiliate programs. Boycott the networks and we could effect real change.

Of course, there are other, more diplomatic avenues that can be taken as well. For example, Be Free's effort at an exclusion protocol, if adopted, would leave everyone happy.

My two cents,

J.D. Ashcraft
    jd@revenews.com

Easily done. I have one domain per merchant. Name the day and we'll have 'em crying into their beer. I don't have to swap links around I just take down the entire site for the duration.

Whats one days sales here or there when there is an entire industry at stake? Parasites and merchants only partially depend on affiliates. Networks are highly vulnerable so thats where we can hit with least cost and greatest effect.

I

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread