Outsourced Program Manager Brent E.'s Avatar
    Smile data feed feeler
    Hello dedicated ABWers,

I have an important issue that I am trying to resolve, and I have a feeling some of you out there will be able to point me in the right direction. For those of you who I haven't had the pleasure of getting to know, I am the AM for CSN Stores. CSN Stores has 96 different online stores. Some of our stores cross pollinate products throughout multiple stores. For instance, Strollers.com and CSNBaby.com both have our full Strollers line, TVStands.com and RacksandStands.com both have our full offering of TV Stands, with many more falling into this situation.

I am only able to use a class (strollers, diaper bags, car seats, etc.) once in our data feed development system. My question to affiliates is, what would you rather see in a data feed, a very specific feed that has the class Strollers in the Strollers.com feed or just one big CSN Baby feed that encompasses all classes of our Baby Furniture line? I wish I could put Strollers in both feeds to give affiliates either option, but only one is possible in our current situation.

The current set-up has every baby product including strollers in the CSN Baby feed, and no Strollers.com feed available at all. Is this the easiest/most efficient way for Affiliates to operate? I know that different affiliates will have different points of view due to their unique site set-up, so I am really looking for what the masses would appreciate.

Thanks for reading, I look forward to your feedback.

- Brent Elias

NO LOVE??? Is what I am asking a stupid question, do people not care, do you just not like me, Please write something!!!

- Brent

Question
    thinking . . . can you mix all products into the feed in a hierarchical pattern with categories, subcategories, etc . . . some of us are product-oriented and don't care which domain carries them as long as we can show them. and as long as we will get the credit for the sale.

I'm thinking of how we would work with the feed after GoldenCAN implemented it for us.

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    I'm no pro at this, but it seems it would be pretty easy to extract the data from an existing feed to create a new feed. Or add an extra field in the larger feed, adding the store name for products only available at strollers.com, this way that data could be easily pulled out of the larger datafeed.

Herb, I owe you one, I felt like I was on a deserted island all by myself for a while there, it was getting lonely.

We do set our feeds up in a hierarchical pattern with categories, subcategories, etc. So a large feed is no problem and not better than a more class specific feed. thanks for the feedback, that is one for the old system!

I'm at a loss when it comes to categorizing datafeeds, but I do see how it's a real problem for you guys with your multiple stores. I had an almost impossible time just trying to get one text link and one banner link for each store. I'm not even sure I got them all...... hint: would it be possible to alphabetize the selector or something?

Whatever you do - do it so you can use Goldencan ! Maybe Asif is the one who could advise. I'm anxious to do more to promote these, but the number of stores and the difficulty in grabbing links is slowing me down.

Probably didn't help, but I didn't want you to think we don't care!!!!

Perhaps this is too obvious, but why not offer the affiliate "whatever they want"? Presumably you or your staff are writing scripts to generate the various datafeeds you're talking about, so why not give the affiliates the ability to choose from a menu to get what they want?

Personally, I want a single datafeed with everything, but that's just me.

We sell every stroller in our database on CSN Baby.com and Strollers.com. There is no difference in commissions between the two either. I smell what your cooking though.

Thanks for your input DFL Sports, that makes two for the current set-up.

http and a telephoto
    Brent, we talked a little about this at Think Tank. You can have one large feed with everything, and then need to break out smaller feeds for affiliates to grab for niche sites. Not all affiliates can use one large feed and pull out what they want themselves, they need you to do it for them. Your feed may be too large for the Shareasale Make A Page to use, so might have to work around that also. Work with Michael at bounce.cc and Asif at GoldenCan to help you give your affiliates what they need to make both of you successful
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Mark,

We actually have a system being built right now for that very thing you are takling about. It is about 2 months out (May launch) and I know that affiliates need to make money now. That is why I wanted to know what you guys preferred. So your advice is 100% on to what our future plan is. I cant wait for affiliates to be able to create and download their very own CSN Stores custom feeds and have their own log-in and passwords to each specific account.

Making one big feed may be a possibilty that I havent thought of. This would not take away our feeds by store, just add more value to you. Thanks for that tidbit, very helpful, I am going to talk to our data feed guru about that possibility.

Hi Jmoore,

I thought that the stores in our get links section in SAS were alphabetized. It is when I look at it on my end. If you want to send me a snap shot of what you are looking at I may be able to help you along.

We have kicked around the idea of using Golden Can, but were waiting to get feedback from our affiliates after they used our current data feeds. I wasn't sure if it would be the best direction to head in. I will definetly make a note that you reccomend it. I am going to start contacting some of our active affiliates and take a pole of what the affilaites using our feeds would prefer.

I really appreciate your feedback, this was an issue that I really wanted affiliate feedback on and I just hadn't gotten any, so I figured that people may not care. It is good to see that some of you out there do. thanks again.

Hi Loxly,

One big feed would be a MONSTER. Not sure what capabilities SAS would have to house such an enormous feed on their server, along with the smaller feeds that we send over bi-weekly, but I am going to find out.

AS far as Golden Can goes, it is a definite possibility that I am going to seriously start considering as a future solution.

Thanks Loxly, hope your are doing well!

ABW Ambassador
    I personally like all the feeds separated, just like they are. I break them down further to process anyway, it would take me much more time to separate out if all in one.

Brent, why don't you classify yourself as an AM in the ABW control panel, so you're more easily identifiable?

Quote Originally Posted by Brent E.
    AS far as Golden Can goes, it is a definite possibility that I am going to seriously start considering as a future solution.
    Goldencan has a forum on this site. If you look at the testimonials about them you'll see it's a great choice. Just my suggestion, you might want to consider it because there are many aff's that would pick it up right away.

GC could handle the entire monster feed and break out the sections for you and the affiliates. It's something they already do, and do quite well.

http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=310 forum

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=82267 praise from merchants and affiliates

NO LOVE??? Is what I am asking a stupid question, do people not care, do you just not like me, Please write something!!!

- Brent

Aww we love ya Brent. No idea how I missed this thread. I currently use the make a page and the custom link option and but am just learning datafeed with webmerge. The thought of one huge feed is rather overwhelming for me but I would say those more skilled at datafeed wouldn't bat an eye at it. Your current setup is fine for me right now.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    I personally like all the feeds separated, just like they are. I break them down further to process anyway, it would take me much more time to separate out if all in one.?
    Nice, that is good to know, Ill chalk that up for the current system.

I am not defined as an AM to make it difficult for all of you guys :-). I am going to change that today, thanks for the heads up Web Worker.

This is Great, thanks Mack. I am going to check these out today.

Red face
    Quote Originally Posted by mellie
    Aww we love ya Brent.
    gees, stop it, now your making me blush.

I think the current set-up is what I am going to fly with for now. Like I said in a previous post, it should only be for about two more months and a new feed system will be integrated into our affiliate program.

Thanks to all who responded, I got a few great ideas from this thread.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    it should only be for about two more months and a new feed system will be integrated into our affiliate program.
    where'd you get the idea / details for the new feed system that's coming?

:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    where'd you get the idea / details for the new feed system that's coming?

:-)
    Aren't you supposed to be fishing or something???

Donuts is the man behind the plan, I can't take credit for it. I don't know where me or my data feed program would be without you.

Can I get an early "affiliate of the year" chant going for Donuts????
    Last edited by Carolyn - ShareASale; March 7th, 2007 at 11:46 AM.

...chanting....

If you do whatever Donuts suggested, I'm thinking it will all be GOOD !

In the meantime, I sent the screenshot to the email address I had from the gathering in Nov.
    Last edited by Carolyn - ShareASale; March 7th, 2007 at 11:43 AM.

ABW Ambassador
    Getting back to the original question regarding granularity of product lines and which feeds to put them into, using your CSN Baby and Strollers as an example:

Baby stores can sell a lot of different product lines besides strollers that we can use, but...

A store that's got a specific domain like "strollers" MUST have strollers or we might as well not bother with the feed at all.

If there's a choice of one, as in that case, it has to be the specific.

Another point is furniture. There's a LOT of furniture that goes into a home besides kitchen and kids furniture, for example. Like if I want a queen size poster bed as part of a bedroom set, as a shopper I'll go to a generic or bedroom furniture store. BUT as a shopper, if I'm looking for bunk beds or loft beds with a tent, or a dinosaur desk, if I go to a childrens furniture store and they aren't there, I will simply go to another childrens furniture store.

There again, beds that would basically be for children have to be in a childrens store if there's a choice between them. if they're in the feed for the "grownup" store then I might as well not bother with the childrens store feed at all.

Same thing with kitchen furniture, like for kitchen sets and dining nooks. If a kitchensets.com store doesn't have them, I don't need that feed, I might as well just use the general kitchen feed.

The bottom line is that if there's a specific type of domain, then the products have to go into the feed at the most specific level of granularity for the feeds to be useful.

===================================

PLUS: I hate to nag, but...

You really, really need to designate yourself as AM in your profile and sig.

So from a Strollers.com vs. CSNBaby.com standpoint you would preffer:

a. Keep strollers in the baby feed along with the rest of our baby furniture.

b. Put all strollers in the strollers.com feed.

SAS is working on a master feed for all the data feeds that we offer. It is in the works and will hopefully be done soon! I do not have a time table for this project.

Regarding the profile and sig, i tried to update my sig and profile as AM of CSN Stores and Luggage.com but have had no luck in doing so. I finally got my picture up though!!!

Brent Elias
    Affiliate Manager
    CSNStores.com
    Luggage.com

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread