More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    This Forum Is a SPAM Magnet!
    What's with all the spam posts here? Apparently, some super-duper "Get rich quick" scheme involves spamming forums.

It's too bad people can't spend all that time and energy developing sites and making money via sales commissions and content/contextual ads in a legitimate manner. They would find that they have something solid to build upon rather than a get-rich-quick house of cards based on deception.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Talking
    are you talking about the fly-bys who don't even come back to see their post disappear, or the new network people who are working on their branding?

The fly-bys (I just deleted about 7 here). Cheesehead is right, it is a shame.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Lightbulb
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    The fly-bys (I just deleted about 7 here). Cheesehead is right, it is a shame.
    they play percentages. "ain't got the sense they shoulda been born with"

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    make sign-up a bit harder? Maybe one more field (question) will deter those spammers..

I run a forum too, and keep having to change my spam catching algorythms, but there are more and more spammers and they're more agressive all the time too.
    those spam-bots are smart enough to even get past email validation.

The percentages aren't very good for spam here. 100% is caught and removed, usually in less than an hour, and often in just minutes.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    The percentages aren't very good for spam here. 100% is caught and removed, usually in less than an hour, and often in just minutes.
    You do a great job Michael!
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    I'd imagine it's a problem in just about any forum like ours, but our hall monitors do a great job of eliminating it! Job well done gang.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Haiko knows how to pick a good SWAT - Spam Watch Affiliate Team

ABW is safe!

I first heard about ABW from a rep at LinkShare when I was interested in running a program through them (the Dark Ages of my affiliate marketing to be sure). His advice? Come here and drop my link as often and as discreetly as possible. Not "be an active member of the ABW family", but to spam the board without getting caught. My personal ethics would prohibit such an action, but his mention of this board sparked my curiosity.

A couple of months later, I'm hooked. I hope to be a contributing member for some time. I share this story now as a testimony to this site's ability to attract parasites. I think it's actually a tribute to the quality of the board (or a manifestation of the ignorance of the spammers who think they're smarter than our mods).

My hat's off to everyone here who puts in time keeping this place clean. It's appreciated.
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by cbsturg
    a rep at LinkShare ... His advice? Come here and drop my link as often and as discreetly as possible. Not "be an active member of the ABW family", but to spam the board without getting caught.
    Interesting ... No wonder Linkshare does so (ahem) "well" each year in the best network vote what @55 . Tell ya what cbsturg, just for your ethics and for actually joining our family, I'm going to give you your new program announcement and 20K ROS recruiting banner ads when your program launches. We need to support good people / businesses like yours.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    >>Come here and drop my link as often and as discreetly as possible.

There are PEOPLE out there SELLING that advice.

[makes me sick]

It use to be spam news groups. I remember back in 97 that was te advice being sold. Spam the news groups.

now its spam te forums.

It's a daily chore for me to delete the spammers at my site's forum. Mostly they just join and post their site link without posting. I have to go through several times a day to delete.

One has to wonder ... if they just put as much effort in developing something of value instead of something that gets deleted almost immediately how much better off they would end up?

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by cbsturg
    I first heard about ABW from a rep at LinkShare when I was interested in running a program through them (the Dark Ages of my affiliate marketing to be sure). His advice? Come here and drop my link as often and as discreetly as possible. Not "be an active member of the ABW family", but to spam the board without getting caught. My personal ethics would prohibit such an action, but his mention of this board sparked my curiosity.
    If this is true, I would not let a bad apples sour the whole crate.

It's NOT because I am on Linkshare that I am standing up for them. I have given my positive opinion about LS, SAS, CJ and each network has its pros-cons, but this is an remote issue.

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy
    ... if they just put as much effort in developing something of value instead of something that gets deleted almost immediately how much better off they would end up?
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    I used to spend half my day deleting spam from my forum. Finally got tough on sign ups with making them enter a CAPCHA and answering the question: "Are you a real person before they could post." Cut it ALL out. Now I just have to watch the real sign ups who usually don't SPAM.

Some moron who has an affiliate marketing newsletter sent out a way to post to thousands of forums with one click a few months back. I wanted to strangle him. LOL I guess lots of others did, too, because he sent a disclaimer a few days later saying he "trusted" his subscribers wouldn't spam boards with the info. Fat chance ...
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I've been dealing with this myself at my forum. I get a ton of spam signups daily even though I have a CAPTCHA. I think I need to find a stronger one that these bots can't get around. In any event I found a really nice solution that works in conjunction with a CAPTCHA. I simply block first posts that contain links. It works wonders and reduces my spam by at least 99%. Every once in a while something will slip through that doesn't contain a link, but most posts get blocked. I went from getting 10-20 spam posts/day to 1-2 a month. I'm really surprised forums don't offer this as a default feature.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Yeah, that would certainly be a good feature. Or having first posts automatically put into a moderation queue for review. But once that becomes widespread, the people who build the spam programs will just create workarounds.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Yeah, that would certainly be a good feature. Or having first posts automatically put into a moderation queue for review. But once that becomes widespread, the people who build the spam programs will just create workarounds.
    There are ways to improve it too. Maybe require users to create X posts before they can post a link. Used in conjunction with a timed post throttle it would be even more effective.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread