Tax papers from CJ?
    Have you received yours?
    It's March, time to file, and I'm still waiting for mine. Should I contact someone?
    Thanks in advance.
    Kim.

ABW Ambassador
    Got mine. I would give them a call to see what's up.

I also received my 1099 from CJ, and I think there was another thread on ABW where most folks reported receiving their 1099s.

Affiliates should receive a 1099 only if the total amount paid by CJ during calendar 2006 was more than $600.

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    ... if the total amount paid by CJ during calendar 2006 was more than $600.
    I'm a 5-bar, what do you think?
    Anyone has a phone number handy? CJ surely makes it hard to call them.

ABW Ambassador

Do you do business as an individual (sole proprietor) or corporation? If you do business as a corporation, IRS does not require them to issue a 1099.

You said it's "March, time to file" ... corporations have to file by March 15, where individuals don't have to file until April 15, which is what made me wonder if you are operating under the umbrella of a corporation.

CJ 5 Bar
    Hmmmm...

I'm curious what the minimum threshold is to become a 5 bar affiliate on CJ. Does anyone know roughly? It is based on total network revenue generated or commission earned? It's always eluded me.

I've been a measly 3 bar publisher for a while, soooooo ready for 4!!!

Geofferson Marcy
    [B]geofferson marcy[/B]
    [I]affiliate manager[/I]
    [URL=http://www.advaliant.com]www.advaliant.com[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.dna11.com]www.dna11.com[/URL]

I got mine sometime around 1/31.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy
    Do you do business as an individual (sole proprietor) or corporation? If you do business as a corporation, IRS does not require them to issue a 1099.
    I deal with CJ (and others) as LLC (with its own TaxID), but it's a sole proprietorship, so I file it combined with my personal taxes (by April 15th). I know the exact amount I've made with CJ (thanks to direct deposits), but having the actual 1099 would make the whole process much simpler.

Called the 1-800 number only to be told that they don't handle tax questions over the phone, and the only way to contact them regarding 1099 is via their "Contact Us" email support system. We all know how painful that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberly
    I deal with CJ (and others) as LLC (with its own TaxID), but it's a sole proprietorship.
    There you go ... CJ thinks you're doing business as a corporation. It doesn't matter that you are the only stockholder. What's at issue here is that you've provide the tax number of the LLC and not your personal social security number. Is the format of the tax number 99-999999 as opposed to a social security which is 999-99-9999?

Here's the IRS language:
    http://www.irs.gov/instructions/i109...2.html#d0e2116

Does the LLC have a separate bank account, in which all the direct deposits are made? I found this FAQ on LLCs at the IRS site:

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/...137016,00.html

Even if they sent you the 1099, it's not like you have to attach it to your personal income tax. The Form 1099 is an information form that helps IRS make sure that individuals are reporting all their earnings. It is not like a W2, which you attach to your personal 1040 return. As long as you report your total earnings, whether they file a 1099 or not, you're safe.

I have a real-life example that happened to me with regard to a 1099 I received from Tupperware in 2004. What a nightmare! I joined Tupperware as a consultant at the recommendation of somebody at ABW because their affiliate program was a nightmare. The product links never worked. (And the affiliate program paid 7% where consultants earn 25%.) At first I wasn't sure if I could join because I run all my income through a Sub-S corporation. But I contacted the person who was sponsoring me, she contacted Tupperware, and wrote back that I should enter my Fed ID # and corporation name in the spaces for Social Security Number and my name. So, I did.

In January 2005, I received a 1099 with NO tax number and my personal name. I sent it back to Tupperware, explaining that according to IRS rules they did not need to issue a 1099 because my business was a corporation. Somebody called me and said they were sending me a corrected 1099 with the tax number I provided and my personal name. I argued, but the woman was adament that only managers could do business as corporations, and they had to send me the 1099. Idiot!

I filed my 1120S for the corporation and reported my net income on 1040 from the K-1 from the corporation.

In July 2006 my husband and I received a notice from IRS that they were assessing an additional $600 on our personal 1040 for 2004 because we didn't report the income reported by Tupperware on the 1099 Form.

I wrote back to IRS disputing the additional taxes they tried to impose. I sent them copies of the bank statements of the corporation highlighting all the direct deposits received from Tupperware for the year, as well as copies of my balance sheet, the corporation's 1120S and other supporting documentation. I also let them know that Tupperware had been informed of their error and made up their own rules anyway ... not that I think IRS went after them for it or anything.

Two months later IRS sent me notice that the charges had been removed.

I also sent a copy of my letter to IRS to Tupperware with a bill for four hours at $25/hour for "Wasting my time compiling documentation and writing response to Notice from Internal Revenue Service because your company refused to properly complete and submit 2004 Form 1099-MISC, when requested to do so."

Naturally, I never received a check or reply from Tupperware.

The bottomline is that the whole purpose of Form 1099 is so that IRS can track down individuals that are not reporting income they earn as independent contractors and the like. Not having it won't hold up your reporting to IRS as long as you report all your income.

LLC is a corporation so no 1099 for you.

Kimberly is correct, there is a type of LLC that is a Sole Proprietor. I am in that category myself. CJ sent me a 1099 as they should have.

From the IRS website,

"If the LLC has only one owner, it will automatically be treated as if it were a sole proprietorship (referred to as an entity to be disregarded as separate from its owner), unless an election is made to be treated as a corporation."

http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq12-1.html

That kind of defeats the purpose of an LLC IMO.

Yes, but if she entered "Corporation" in the "Tax Classification" field, CJ would have no way of knowing that. They don't send 1099's to corporations.

I just checked mine and it says "Corporation" and I have never received a 1099 from CJ. I tried the edit button to see what the choices are, but there is no way to change it. Kimberly should check hers and see what it says. If it says Corporation, then that's why they didn't send her the 1099, and she will unfortunately have to email them to get the status changed.

Also, the IRS FAQ says, "No, you will not need a separate Federal Tax ID number for the LLC if you are the sole owner of the LLC and the LLC has no employees."

Kimberly has already stated that her LLC has its own FEIN separate from her social security number. If she gave that FEIN number to CJ, and marked corporation when she registered, then CJ thinks she's a corporation and that's why they didn't send her a 1099.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread