The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    StateLine Tack has 'spaining to do
    Well maybe that isn't the best title, but I couldn't come up with anything else. I don't make much with linkshare so I forget to check these things. But one thing that linkshare has that I like is "Uncommissionable sales" So i was thinking for the first time in forever to check it.

So I check from Jan 1 2007 to Feb 28 2007 for uncommissionable sales and they was all from Stateline tack. Total uncommissionable sales $1013.63. Then I checked my commissionable sales with them $30.95. (Their cookie duration is 20 days)

I emailed them immediately, told them that this is egregious and that 1) increase my cookie duration so that 90% of my sales are commissionable and 2) I want back commissions for the sales I did make.

They have 48 hours or I'll remove their links.

Either way, I suggest everyone check their uncommissionable sales report and if you cuncommissionable sales are over your commissionable sale, email immediately and then if they haven't fixed the situation, delete them.

MOO

ABW Ambassador
    No one likes to see non-commissionable sales, especially for the reason that the sale exceeded the cookie duration, but I've pretty much come to learn that every merchant gets some sales or other sources of income as a direct result of affiliate traffic whereby the affiliate gets nothing.

At the end of the day, there is no difference between an expired cookie that resulted in a sale or any product/service that company offers on their website that wasn't commissionable in the first place. Here are a few examples: telephone sales, affiliate links on the merchant's website, AdSense and other contextual ads, the company's own products/services that they don't commission on.

I don't have a lot of Linkshare merchants but of the ones that I do, only one of them even reports non-commissionable sales so it's likely that you have lots of non-commissionable sales from other merchants that you don't even know about.

If you look closely at all of your merchant sites, I bet you will find that almost every one of them has these leaks. If you remove every program that is problematic in this way, you won't have any affiliate relationships left.

Just today, I noticed on Funjet Vacations (CJ) website that in order to book a vacation package with more than one room on the same itinerary, you have to call their toll-free number. You cannot book it on their website. Now how is that a way to treat your affiliates? Much much worse than no commission due to an expired cookie.

Good luck. I ditched them long ago due to the non-commissionables situation. They convert real good on my traffic, but not for ME!

I believe in my heart and in my mind that somebody is up to something. It is inconceivable that there can be such a high percentage of latent customers who do not buy until a month later.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

ABW Ambassador
    I have been able to negotiate longer cookie durations with merchants that I produce sales for - most of the time.

But if I'm still making $$$ with a program, I am loathe to delete links for non-commisionable sales.

Ride It Like You Stole It CowgirlUp's Avatar
    eeeek! glad I came across this thread! I'm still building my horse health page and was going to put some Stateline Tack links in it. Might be reconsidering........

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I wouldn't invest much into them...

There's a link on their main page that says Petsmart is putting them up for sale

I emailed to get a confirmation - if they're sold, will they still have an aff program...

They chose not to respond

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    All,
    I received the following message from State Line Track's Account Manager explaining why you may see non-commission sales because of cookie expiration.

State Line Tack does not delete customer cookies. This means that return days are calculated since the launch of their program with LinkShare (in August 2004). So, if a customer bought something through an affiliate link on your site in March 2005, and then returned in March 2007 without ever having visited your site again, this would still be tracked as lead from your site, with over 700 return days. Most merchants do not keep cookies as long as State Line Track, which is why you do not see such high non-commissionable sales.

Ranae

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    EXCUSE ME??? You shouldn't have said anything at all. But when total uncommissionable sales are $1013.63 and my commissionable sales with them $30.95, there is something seriously wrong.

To try and justify it, makes you look foolish. What are the odds, of there being a 30 to 1 comparison of uncommissionable sales to commissionable sales. I have tried to remove all my links to them, hopefully they are all gone.

I have a simple formula, if the uncommissionable sales r greater than the commissionable sales then its time to drop that program and of course post it here too.

When I told you the non-commissionable sales was $1000+ and the commissionable sales was $30, did yoiu think your explanation would change my mind as to whether to promote this merchant. Even if what you said was true, this merchant obviously doesn't convert and should be avoided
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

I dont think this has anything to do with cookie duration. I think somebody is trigger-happy on the clawbacks. It is simply inconceivable that such a high percentage of buyers would fall outside of the cookie duration window. Somebody is picking pockets here.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates

ABW Ambassador
    I didn't understand the LS moderators answer. If the cookie doesn't reset, then why would there be a noncommissionable sale. Unless there are items that don't get commissions. Or something happened on the customers end to obliterate tracking.

Renae said most companies don't keep cookies that long and that is why you see noncommissionable sales. It doesn't seem to me she answered the specific state line question.

Anyway, maybe I'm being dense. I'm sorry for your lost sales, but glad you took out the links. Maybe that will wake them up!

Lily - what they mean is - sales still get tracked even though the commissionable duration has passed.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by LinkShare Moderator
    Most merchants do not keep cookies as long as State Line Track, which is why you do not see such high non-commissionable sales.

Ranae
    This statement contradicts what Michael Nunez says at http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...819#post679819

ojmoo, you are jumping to conclusions based on inadequate and incomplete information. Further, since non-commissionable sales are reported for so few Linkshare merchants, it's likely you have other merchants where this may be an even bigger problem, but you haven't removed them because you remain in the dark due to lack of access to this data.

Further, since non-commissionable sales are reported for so few Linkshare merchants, it's likely you have other merchants etc etc etc
    There are steady, commissions-paid sales for the "other merchants" though. Maybe there are lots on non-commissionables, but there are also enough payable commissions to cut a check for the affiliate (if Linkshare can ever figure out how to print and mail a check, but that is another story for another thread). But there is an issue here with State Line Tack. It is absolutely absurd that there would be a continuous stream, for months and months, of non-commissionables like this, and so few (or zero) sales that get credited to the affiliate.

You need to generate thousands of dollars in sales for this vendor in order to get enough money to pay for a fast food value meal for yourself. That is just #####ng absurd.

PetSmart - The Facts

Changes to State Line TackŪ - February 28, 2007

We announced today that we will exit our State Line Tack horse business, closing all our in-store State Line Tack departments and use the space to offer a bigger selection of pet products or for our PetsHotel boarding and day camp concept.

Unfortunately, as we've grown to understand our equine and pet customers better, we've learned that equine is not something we do best. It is much different from our core pet product and services business. We've concluded that exiting State Line Tack and focusing solely on our core pet product and services is the best thing for our business.

This was a difficult decision for us. We recognize the potential human, economic and social implications of this decision in our community, and for our associates and their families. We have plans in place to exit the business with minimal impact to our stores, our customers, our associates and our business. Our online and catalog offerings will continue to be available while we evaluate our options for exiting the business and, as always, we're committed to fulfilling your order.
    Renae,

Since the Linkshare employee who is paid to be an Affiliate Manager doesn't respond to affiliate emails - it appears he just passes messages thru you - can you knock on his cubicle and ask him if there will still even be a StateLineTack affiliate program???

grrrrrrr, this is just great! Considering my niche and the amount of time I have put into my horse health page (which isn't published yet) I want to offer my readers tack. I have supplements, vet wrap etc..... in my store, but I want saddles and bridles.

The one place that I buy my tack from doesn't have an affiliate program. If anyone knows of other sources for tack, please let me know.
    Be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by rgrsgrl
    grrrrrrr, this is just great! Considering my niche and the amount of time I have put into my horse health page (which isn't published yet) I want to offer my readers tack. I have supplements, vet wrap etc..... in my store, but I want saddles and bridles.

The one place that I buy my tack from doesn't have an affiliate program. If anyone knows of other sources for tack, please let me know.
    Check these search results http://www.google.com/search?q=saddl...&start=10&sa=N

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

geeeesh, was a I having a duh moment or what (smacking forehead) why didn't I think of that?

Thanks Burger Boy!
    Be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi

In my day job, I'm Mktg Dir for an equine equipment supplier. Several of us are talking about starting affiliate programs. I believe by the end of the year you will find several good suppliers to choose from. State line tack never was considered a major player anyway.

The LS emp who manages State Line DOES know how to use email!

Not to respond to affiliates, but for one-way-only bad news emails:

May 11, 2007

Dear State Line Tack Affiliate,

Due to the recent sale of State Line Tack, PetSmart, Inc., is required to discontinue the State Line Tack Affiliate Program. The PetSmart Affiliate Program, however, will continue to operate without any interruption.

Pursuant to the Affiliate Agreement between your organization and State Line Tack, this is our formal written notice to terminate our State Line Tack Affiliate Agreement...

Per our Agreement, you are required to remove any and all banners, buttons, text links, product images and store fronts that link to State Line Tack by End of Business Day Monday, May 21, 2006 EST. If you have any questions regarding this matter...
    I didn't post the person's name, but those who got the email... memorize it... so you know that if he gets to manage another program, to avoid him at all costs.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    I didn't post the person's name, but those who got the email... memorize it... so you know that if he gets to manage another program, to avoid him at all costs.
    Shoot the messenger. That's always the best way to do business!

You missed the sarcasm Snowman!

The guy has never responded to an email. He passes messages to Renae.

This is the first time he ever sent an email.

"MY" message is - there's no money in working with unresponsive AMs

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread