Accepted into a program not applied to?
    I looked at my e-mail today and low and behold I was accepted into a program I doubt I applied for -- has that ever happened to you?

It's on a network I affiliate with but the name of the merchant made me really wonder, how did this happen?

Don't ask me who it is as I don't want to say on a public board, but I thought I had to apply to a specific program in order to be on its books?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I've had this happen two or three times, always with Linkshare merchants.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Outsourced Program Manager Stephanie Harris's Avatar
    The only thing I can think of is that the merchant decided to directly recruit you and sent you an automatic acceptance into their program. However, you would still need to accept the invitation - I don't think in this scenario you would just see that you're in the program without any action on your part to access the program features.
    Stephanie Harris
    Schaaf Consulting
    p/f: 323.386.2338
    AIM: stephschaafco
    www.schaafco.com | stephanie@schaafco.com
    Our Programs: Baby Catalog | Blue Bee | Constant Contact | CourseSmart | ForMeToCoupon | Homestead | InTheSwim | Ipsos Survey Panel | LightInTheBox.com | Moosejaw | Mrs. Prindables | Payless ShoeSource | simply youth ministry | SnagAJob.com | Specialty Pool Products

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    I looked at my e-mail today and low and behold I was accepted into a program I doubt I applied for -- has that ever happened to you?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Harris
    However, you would still need to accept the invitation - I don't think in this scenario you would just see that you're in the program without any action on your part to access the program features.
    No, it looks as if I'm in

I was just surprised. The big question in my mind is: does every merchant in a 3rd party affiliate program get to view my personal details (i.e. social security # & everything) right off the bat?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    It happened to me once with a Linkshare merchant and I didn't have to take any action as Stephanie suggests.

I've had it happen w/ CJ a few times.
    I'll notice i'm with a program I never would have joined voluntarily.
    Guess I could have been tired or drunk and don't remember joining! lol

It's happened to me under a different circumstance. It was a merchant I was already working with that changed the terms. Once the change went into affect it triggered a welcome aboard message.

Could it possible be related to something like that?

ABW Ambassador
    Linkshare Merchants are doing this to me as well... They should at least tell us that they have placed us on the program which is fine by me but not make out that we applied and they have accepted us
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Quote Originally Posted by glinted
    Linkshare Merchants are doing this to me as well... They should at least tell us that they have placed us on the program which is fine by me but not make out that we applied and they have accepted us
    This happened to me also by a Linkshare merchant that I had declined. I never received another e-mail from them but 2 days later they were showing up in my Linkshare reports - WITH CLICKS. I am not promoting them on any of my sites so I'm wondering where the clicks came from. I won't complain as long as they can generate some sales.
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    Rhia,

Can you contact the merchant and ask for the specific joined date? I know my applications are time stamped. I know the date and exact time an affiliate signed up. Perhaps they've had pending applications from forever ago and are just now getting up to speed?
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    A few years ago, some CJ merchants did this to me. But I flamed CJ on here for that, and the auto-signups stopped, thankfully. Also I insta-dropped any "interloper" merchants that appeared in my account. I figured that if those merchants were that desperate, I didn't want any part of 'em!

ABW Ambassador
    there is some weird things going on over at LS lately, I started a thread a few days ago about some extra amounts showing up in the synergy reports, then you have the sudden disappearance of the February reports which is fixed now after many of us noticed it ...
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread