Can't get link from dmoz open directory
    They say that everyone is welcome to apply to join the ODP, I've been trying for 6 monthes. However, I think the editor is excluding my site, maybe becouse I'm the competiton. I keep reapplying each mo.. Does anyone have any suggestions?

there are places that have tried for 5 years and haven't gotten in. It's barely updated anymore at all.

ABW Ambassador
    Move on.
    This has been going on for YEARS.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    It's who you know.

If you know a DMOZ editor.. you are set.

ahhh.. who is still using DMOZ?

I asked at another forum quite some time ago and was told that it was because of being an affiliate site, which is in their requirements (although there are other sites that are listed and they're affiliates lol )....but have also submitted other sites that weren't affiliate sites and obeyed all the so called online rules and still couldn't get listed....So....I've come to the conslusion as the others. lol it's all in who ya know. lol

Just my suggestion to ya Stop trying and just concentrate on getting yourself listed with the others and you'll be fine.
    Good luck

Apply to be an editor, then you can get all of us in.

One of my sites has been listed for years. High content but with affil stuff too. I may get a referral a month, or less.

Small benefit comes from the mirror directories around the world, but their PR runs 0 to 3 at best, I think.

that reminds me, I do have a domain listed in there, not that I ever use that one anymore.
    And good luck becomming an editor. I applied and was denied a few different times for different categories. (few years ago)

ABW Ambassador
    They won't take affiliate sites unless the amount of "unique, original content" way, way, way outweighs affil stuff in the site composition,.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    They won't take affiliate sites unless the amount of "unique, original content" way, way, way outweighs affil stuff in the site composition,.
    Sheesh, they declined my recipe site just for one little Amazon link on each page. I wouldn't have known the reason, but a little bird told me off the record. Seems they had put the denial reason as "Amazon affiliate site." All that was on there at the time was a small link to a cookbook for the relevant type of dish (with tiny pic) next to the recipes!

Once I knew they weren't letting it in, of course I totally plastered the thing in CPM ads, and stuck a giant datafed store section on it as well. Now it's a REAL site, that happens to have some content.

DMOZ also didn't list GoodBulbs.com, but I don't know their reasoning for that. I didn't bother to ask...to heck with 'em.

Think there are one or 2 Dmoz editors on ABW but it is very unlikely that they will help. Then again, they are not too active on ABW
    It's like a secret cult that one is not suppose to talk about.

Top mistake by all submitters to dmoz.

DO NOT POST YOUR HOME PAGE LINK!

They used to allow coupon sites but not for EONS. That was back when there weren't a gazillion coupon sites.

I was an editor there once but it was too much work for too little pay ( uh, free), LOL!

Oh and by the way ( at least when I was there) once you submit your url, it is in their database and editors write comments about how many times you applied, how ugly your site is, etc...

If you applied once and didn't get accepted, get a new url or forget about it. You are history.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne

If you applied once and didn't get accepted, get a new url or forget about it. You are history.
    VERY TRUE

Quote Originally Posted by Anne
    I was an editor there once but it was too much work for too little pay ( uh, free), LOL!

Oh and by the way ( at least when I was there) once you submit your url, it is in their database and editors write comments about how many times you applied, how ugly your site is, etc...

That is nice to know from an insider, i mean ex-insider.

note to self: get new URL when submitting to dmoz.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Every site I've worked on since 1998 got listed in DMOZ. All ABWERS know I don't know beans about designing sites, SEO or internet marketing. So what's the problem with all you heavyweights?
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

All ABWERS know I don't know beans about designing sites, SEO or internet marketing.
    I think that's exactly the kind of sites they look for! They seem to show a preference for what appear to be first-sites. Every site I've gotten in there looks like it could be one (and one IS). My mother got her first one in, too, no problem.

Yet all my better-looking attempts have been rejected regardless of site subject or level of commerciality. I think they're suspicious of sites that look, in their warped vision, to be too "slick."

So what's the problem with all you heavyweights?
    Apparently, letting our better sites in there violates their agreement with the International Optometrists' Association
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    my better-looking attempts have been rejected regardless of site subject or level of commerciality. I think they're suspicious of sites that look, in their warped vision, to be too "slick."

So they only let ugly sites in? LOL! That explains why the big sites aren't going to cut it, lol!

Seriously, though when I was there, really, no affiliate sites. So if the person reviewing thought it was an affiliate site it was nixed, period.

And they are nothing really, who cares of you are listed there or not? Is anyone still trying to get listed in Northern Light? LOL!

And they are nothing really, who cares of you are listed there or not? Is anyone still trying to get listed in Northern Light? LOL!
    I stopped really caring a long while ago. About 1 nanosecond after it stopped helping Goofle ranks!
    Kind of how I stopped having any tolerance for snow the day I graduated from high school. With nothing to offset the suckage...they just, well, suck.

I still enjoy giving 'em a few bashes just because of their snooty attitude through the years.

Seriously, though when I was there, really, no affiliate sites. So if the person reviewing thought it was an affiliate site it was nixed, period.
    I believe the *official* editor guidelines now allow "some" affiliate links (I think a thread appeared here to that effect). Of course, that doesn't mean that the hidebound editors will actually do anything differently than before.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread