Reporting Outages Alert
    Daylight Savings Time Outage Alert

Daylight Savings Time Outage Alert
    Daylight Savings Time has been moved up by two weeks this year to Sunday, March 11th. As a result, Commission Junction will have two planned system outages to apply system updates:

Monday, March 5 starting at 6pm PST
    Reporting outage:
    - Both transaction and performance reporting in the CJ Account Manager™ will be unavailable from 6pm PST to approximately 9pm PST and will be delayed until approximately 12am PST on Tuesday, March 6th. Tracking and recording of transactions and all other member area capabilities will be fully functional during this outage.

Wednesday, March 7 starting at 3pm PST
    Complete system outage:
    - The import data transfer system and export data transfer system will be unavailable from 3pm PST to approximately 9pm PST. During this time, imports cannot be submitted and export subscriptions will not be sent.

-The CJ Account Manager, account sign-up, and web services systems will be unavailable from 6pm PST to approximately 9pm PST. Tracking and recording of transactions will be fully functional during this outage. Once the system is back up at approximately 9pm PST, both transaction and performance reporting will be delayed until approximately 12am PST on Thursday, March 8th.

Thank you for your understanding
    I need to take a vacation

What in the world do system updates have to do with Daylight Savings Time?

ABW Ambassador
    Daylight Savings Time was moved up 3 weeks this year. Most systems had been programmed for DST in 2007 to go into effect on 4/1 so systems patches are required in some instances.

What in the world do system updates have to do with Daylight Savings Time?
    Well, since it's the spring-forward time, maybe they just want to go home an hour earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    Well, since it's the spring-forward time, maybe they just want to go home an hour earlier.

When is Daylight Savings? Already?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Did you read the first post?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    For the last couple of years, I don't even bother about those things until my computer pop up the clock, and ask me if I want to update my clock.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    Did you read the first post?
    I thought it was a joke but then I read this in the washingtonpost.com:

For the first time in 20 years, daylight saving time will not start on the first Sunday in April. Instead, it will begin three weeks earlier, at 2 a.m. on the second Sunday in March, the 11th. [source]
    It's not a joke
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    For the last couple of years, I don't even bother about those things until my computer pop up the clock, and ask me if I want to update my clock.
    Right, and if you wait for that to happen this year, you'll be waiting until April 1st unless your computer has the proper updates. That's the whole point of this thing. It's different this year.

I guess CJ doesn't have one of those computers that just asks like yours does. They have to take down the system for three hours one day, and six hours another day to update the clocks.

My computer clock says:
    The time has been successfully synchronized with time.windows.com on 3/2/2007 at 1:01 PM.

Next sychronizaton: 3/9/2007 at 1:01 PM.
    Based on that schedule, I'll probably be on the wrong time until March 16 when it sychronizes again. Or I could manually change it myself, or maybe Microsoft will just send out updates. I usually use the clock on my Cable Box anyway. It's bigger.

Talking
    Just as a regular affiliate, I really don't see what difference an hour more, or an hour less would make on my computer, but I know that the world economy needs to be time accurate.

But.........

If I am on the West Coast, and I am getting a brand new file from the East Coast, when I see the time of that file on my computer, it would say that the file was made at 4 pm today, but on my time zone it's only 1 pm. so.....

Now I wish I remember where I parked my time machine.

CJ is going to have 3 hours of downtime on one day and 6 hours of downtime on another day, all just to adjust for the changes to DST?

Compare that to SAS, which added 18 different enhancements in the month of February, with no downtime.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Solution
    Users of Windows 98, NT or 2000 can search
    www.softshape.com/cham/manual/tzedit.htm for a program called 'tzedit.exe'

Windows XP users can access a patch program through Windows Update by searching for “daylight saving time."

I learned the above information in this article

So why can't CJ download a free patch and install it?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    Because CJ isn't updating computers, they're updating technology. Geez...

Speaking from my IT consulting experience, they are probably just doing regular updates and using the time change as a convenient reason/excuse.

We have to put a new whatchuguzugit in the dilthingyjimbogger and it's going to take some serious time so that we get it done right. After this very important and essential upgrade, your life will be changed for the better in ways that are too numerous to list. We certainly hope that you appreciate our dedication and we do apoligize for this very brief but extremely needed interuption.

The New York Times has an article about the early time change:

Time Change a ‘Mini-Y2K’ in Tech Terms

The daylight-time shift, according to technology executives and analysts, amounts to a “mini-Y2K.” That is a reference to the rush in the late 1990s to change old software, which was unable to recognize dates in the new millennium, 2000 and beyond.

The fear was that computers would go haywire, and there were warnings of planes falling from the skies and electronic commerce grinding to a halt. Billions of dollars were invested to fix the so-called millennium bug, and there was no wave of computer-related disasters.

This time, with extended daylight saving time, the problem is subtler. The potential pitfall is a disruption of business, if the clocks inside all kinds of hardware and software systems do not sync up as they are programmed to do. In a business world that is increasingly computerized and networked, there could be effects on everything from programmed stock trading to just-in-time manufacturing to meeting schedules.

National hotel chains, one technology consultant said, have often automated their wake-up call services in one or two data centers. Having wake-up calls made an hour late for a couple of weeks, he noted, would certainly tarnish a hotel’s reputation for customer service.

For the roughly 7,000 public companies in the United States, Mr. Hammond estimates the total cost of making computer fixes to deal with the daylight saving time shift at more than $350 million. “It’s causing a lot of corporate technology people sleepless nights,” he said.

The impact extends beyond computers themselves. For example, utilities have begun deploying sophisticated time-of-use meters that measure electricity consumption, often at 15- or 30-minute intervals. They charge different rates at different times of day — mainly for large commercial customers — as part of the utilities’ programs to manage peak loads on their grids.

Seems like bunch of morons running the company
    Seems like bunch of morons running the company

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread