Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Question Merchant Creative Start And End Date
    Now, does it mean evey link , text or banner, will eventually stop tracking commission and become dead link ?

You have to do a complete site link replacement from time to time ??

Please clarify

-----------
    MERCHANT CREATIVE START AND END DATE -- To help you manage your Merchant links and give you greater insight into special campaigns and promotions, LinkShare has implemented a start and end date for all Merchant creative, including text, banner, and individual links. You will now be able to see all Merchant creative that has not started. If you wish to place a creative link that has not started, the Merchant will designate a default creative that will display on your site until the new creative is live. Once the start date begins, the new creative will display rather than the default creative. This change will help you better plan special campaigns and seasonal promotions. All creative will expire at 11:59 PM GMT on the date specified as the end date. Note: a link expiration date may be different from a promotion end date.

ABW Ambassador
    The following appears above all links on the Create Links pages:

Cretive will only be active from 12:00 AM on the Start Date through 11:59 PM GMT on the End Date as specified by the merchant for the creative. During all other times, the click through will be redirected to the Merchant's Default Landing Page.

>> ill be redirected to the Merchant's Default Landing Page.

still unclear if the links still track commission ?

even it stills track commission,
    it does mean all deep links will just go to home page.

what a waste of time to build deep links from now on

ABW Ambassador
    All it's saying is the landing page will change once the specific offer/promotion ends. This has nothing to do with tracking.

I think you are reading more into this than it is. This is a great enhancement. Would you rather a product link land on an error page because that product or promotion is no longer available?

>> This has nothing to do with tracking.

i hope so too.
    but it is not clear right now

>> Would you rather a product link land on an error page because that product or promotion is no longer available?

what if it is not an error page ?
    this is just your assumption.

if the preset landing page is still valid,
    but now based on this new system, you have to get new links again because LS is forced to terminate the link on expiry date

ABW Ambassador
    If the pre-set landing page is still valid, then it's up to the merchant to extend the expiration date.

You are really wasting a lot of energy that could be used much more productively elsewhere.

ABW Ambassador
    This sounds good as one of the biggest problems with LS merchant text links is that they have too many outdated links shown in the interface. I have often emailed merchants asking them to clean up all their old links, some expired back in the early part of the decade. It was tiresome to scroll through pages and pages of old links to find current ones. Yes I do hope everything is managed well and the merchants supply long term links (like for a year or more) as well as short term promotions. Well I have not seen this yet but I will go and check it out now...

Update:

well this looks great so far, at first I check two merchants and they have this:

(Text)Valid between 27-Feb-2007 - 01-Mar-2012

I thought it was March the 1st just gone until I looked closer, seems fine so far & this gives plenty of time... Let's just hope merchants keep to these dates though!.

I think I will be very busy this week updating LS links ...
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Links will still track sales after they expire (and before they go live). They just won't go to the intended destination.

For all existing links, they've set a default expiration date (presumably the 3/1/12 that glinted mentioned). They are supposed to be encouraging merchants to adjust those dates, and this gives them a long time to do it. When 3/1/12 gets near, if there are still a large number of "3/1/12" links out there, they'll probably move them out further.

My biggest complaint is still that the links will expire at 23:59 GMT, which is 4-8 hours before the end of the day for most US merchants (depending on the time zone and DST). This is going to cause customer service issues (for merchants who use the actual expiration date) and confusion over expiration dates (for merchants who use the next day as a workaround). I strongly encouraged them numerous times to solve this problem before they went live. They could have done hourly expirations, like most coupon sites do. Or, they could have easily kept links live an extra 24 hours. There's absolutely no harm in letting a link work longer. Good merchant practices will have the landing page give a good user experience (either showing a new promotion or showing that the promotion expired). Good affiliate practices will remove the link as soon as it expires.

The other minor irritation is that links won't go to the right place until the "start date". If a merchant sends out advance notice of a promotion, I'm not going to list it until I've confirmed that the link works right. Now, with LinkShare, I can't check those links in advance.

Another "afterthought" is that these new fields aren't added to LinkLocator Direct yet. That should have been included day one, so that affiliates using LinkLocator Direct can take advantage of the new fields. One of the big benefits of XML formatted data is that you can add new fields without breaking things.

This is a good idea (and one that many of us have asked for), but the implementation is typical LinkShare.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

>> up to the merchant to extend the expiration date.

is this an option ?

>> You are really wasting a lot of energy that could be used much more productively elsewhere.

reply to this thread also waste your energy, why waste ?

>> the merchants supply long term links

such links should never expire

>> Now, with LinkShare, I can't check those links in advance.

and you cannot inspect how the banner will look before the promotion or at the time you put up on the page.

those banners attached in affiliate emails will become all default banners ?

ABW Ambassador
    So it's up to the merchant or network to keep these dates accurate? What a disaster in the making.

I just logged in to check it out. Here's an example of the impending mess:

Gardener's Supply Company - Save 10% on orders of $75 or more!
    (10% off $75 - expires 52705)Valid between 27-Feb-2007 - 01-Mar-2012

See something wrong with that link? It expired almost 2 years ago (bolded), doesn't work. And now they add the valid dates, which are wrong. It's a dead link. So just made a bigger mess, especially for merchants who could never keep their creative up to date.

if there are 1000 affiliates in the program

one staff from merchant to maintain the links (change landing url, refresh creative) is always better than asking 1000 affiliates doing the same manual task(remove codes from site, add new codes back to site )

one task becomes 1000 pieces of task

Affiliate Manager
    I think this is a great enhancement, but one question I have is what happens to the text link/banner ad on the Affiliates page when it expires? Redirects can be handled, but what about the actual text or image being displayed?

And I'm thinking this won't affect any special link modifications that affiliates make in order to deep link, since there's no ad.linksynergy url for those, only click.linksynergy...I hope I'm not wrong about that!

ABW Ambassador

ABW Ambassador
    Your own Orbitz links:

Upgrades with Carnival Cruise Lines! Exp Feb 15, 2007
    (Cruise)Valid between 27-Feb-2007 - 01-Mar-2012

The link expired last month, yet it says it's valid. Which is it.

Affiliate Manager
    Yeah, I've read that.

I've been doing my best to move expired links to a 'Discontinued' section for over a year now and including expiration dates in the copy when appropriate (cruise has been a competely different battle) It is competely up to the Merchant to go in a update those dates that go all the way out to March 2012. Like a lot of people I didn't even know this was coming to set aside time to make the changes, and it's only been a week. Eventually, it will be a good change.

That ad specifically I should have moved into Discontinued, but hadn't been able to yet -- so that was my fault.

ABW Ambassador
    "It is competely up to the Merchant to go in a update those dates that go all the way out to March 2012."

That's the problem tho. A lot of merchants don't keep them up to date so LS putting those dates on bad links just made the problem worse. For merchants that do keep them up to date, they have always been able to put exp. dates with the links so this would be nothing new.

What would be great is to remove every single expired link from all the merchants and if dates are going to be used, they need to be accurate. But it'll never happen.

This is why I moved to using CMS based sites. Everything I publish I can automatically set a start-stop date on and the content will dynamically update and fit into the void.

I always expire coupons one day before the end of the published end date so there's isn't any time zone or time restriction confusion.

Affiliate Manager
    Won't this make it easier to separate the good merchants from the bad then!! ;-)

I'm no Linkshare apologist, believe me -- but it seems that's more of an issue that should be raised with merchants that don't pay attention than saying this enhancement is bad.

ABW Ambassador
    I have raised it before, in threads:

LS one from over 4 years ago
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...chant+creative

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...chant+creative

Messages to merchants.

So if those merchants that have never been able to keep it straight, how can this enhancement be good? As in the examples above, LS just put valid dates on a whole bunch of expired links. In the example I gave with your own links, the link said expired. So most wouldn't put it up. Not that is has valid, some might think it is and put it up. How is that an enhancement? Expired links on sites aren't good for anybody.

Affiliate Manager
    The example of mine you put up has since been moved to 'Discontinued' where no links are assigned to anyone. So now no one can grab it or any of my other expired links, regardless of what Linkshare puts up.

Maybe that's what merchants need to do -- create a new category into which they can move all their old links they don't want anyone to use and make them un-available, which is as easy as checking a box. Linkshare can't move them from that category, regardless of what the start and end dates say.

I think a lot of merchants may be afraid to delete old or expired links or banners, because a)it's hard to know what happens to them after they been deleted b)if anyone still has them live since nothing will show up in the reports once they've been deleted c) valuable real estate you once had on a site may now be replaced with a red x or a Linkshare ad.

How else can you move them out of the way really? Creating a new category did the trick for me and the problem was pretty much solved. I have over 700 links in my discontinued category right now.

It's still more of a matter if cleaning up the creative (as you've pointed out) and I agree.

So let's say that merchants move their old creative into a category and no one can get to them, won't having enforced expiration dates be a good thing then?

ABW Ambassador
    "So let's say that merchants move their old creative into a category and no one can get to them, won't having enforced expiration dates be a good thing then?"

I'm not understanding, who's enforcing them? But I am for anything that gets expired links away from being available. It just doesn't make sense to have expired links available for affiliates to grab.

Affiliate Manager
    Technically, the ad goes down once it's been set to expire based on the new linkshare system. At least it will no longer link to an out-of-date page or offer and will no longer be in the Create Links interface.

For example, of all the new text links I made live yesterday and sent out in the newsletter, I set Linkshare End dates based on when the offer actually expires -- I used to put that right in the link and then the affiliates would be responsible for taking it down but now I can use that for more info, like the promo code maybe.

Of course, the affiliates might STILL be responsible for taking it down, because we don't yet know what a live ad will look like once it's past it's end date (Which is my issue with the whole thing - see my first question in the thread) but at least it won't be available accidentally to new affiliates in case I didn't move it.

I guess I just see this as what I called it -- A great enhancement -- It's not some sort of end-all be-all solution that will let both affiliates and merchants stop managing their sites or programs on a daily basis. But I don't think that's what it's meant for. I really think it will help in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela - Orbitz
    one question I have is what happens to the text link/banner ad on the Affiliates page when it expires? Redirects can be handled, but what about the actual text or image being displayed?
    Not sure if you figured this out yet, but I was told the image/link will change to the merchants default link, which is probably a standard logo or something.

Affiliate Manager
    Right, for the image that makes sense. I guess I'm more curious about text links, where the actual text has never been dynamically update-able (sooo not a word) via the Linkshare interface the way ad units are. It's always been my understanding that the text is hard coded onto the affiliate site. Unless this is something that also changed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast