My First Affiliate Transaction EVER did not track (CJ)
    As a new affiliate, I placed my first EVER affiliate transaction yesterday through CJ for CheapPetSupply.com and the order did not track. I'm a new affiliate with my first affiliate site and placed a test order because I need a few things for my dogs. I went through one of the links on my site and placed a $200 order. Waited for sometime to make sure everything tracked; the click tracked but no order. I waited to the next day (today) to make sure the order didn't track and still nothing.

I wrote an email to the merchant this morning giving them all the information including the order number, my publisher ID, what was on the order, when the order took place, and even which link ID I clicked through and a screenshop of the conformation email I recieved from the merchant after placing the order. I a little anxious to see if I get a response from the merchant and how the problem is handled.

Beings this is my first affiliate site and my first affiliate transaction, I must admit that I find the situtation very discouraging.

This morning, I cleared all the cookies on my computer and clicked the link again. I than viewed all my cookies and there was not one from CJ or the merchant or anything. I have no idea what to do about it.

What is the proper way to handle a situtation when an order does not track?

It's usually best to wait a few more days. When I have a tracking problem, if I go straight to the merchant I always wonder "did they just fix it because I complained?" I prefer giving it enough time to make sure it wouldn't have been tracked. Sometimes the merchant just doesn't report quickly. Other times, merchants catch tracking errors and fix them on their own. A few days after it ships should be long enough to wait.

Some merchants track based on shipped sales. (I'm not sure about this merchant.) If it hasn't shipped yet, it might still show up.

The most extreme case I've seen is a travel merchant on CJ who doesn't post sales until about the 10th of the month following the month in which the travel was completed. In other words, if you book your stay in November and your stay is from 2/25 - 3/3, they'll post on 4/10 and you'll get paid about 5/20.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Did you mean CheapPetStore.com? I just looked on CJ and they don't batch transactions. It should have posted within a couple hours.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Did you mean CheapPetStore.com? I just looked on CJ and they don't batch transactions. It should have posted within a couple hours.
    Yes, sorry, I did mean CheapPetStore.com. Thats what I thought as well. I sent the merchant an email this morning but its Saturday so I'm not expecting to hear anything until Monday.

I was just confused on why it would track the click but not the order.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I was just confused on why it would track the click but not the order.
    It's because of how the "mechanics" of the tracking work. Hopefully the below is clear, if not, just say so and I or someone else will try to clarify.

STAGE 1, CLICK TRACKING:
    You click your link-->CJ Servers determine which merchant to redirect to, AND TRACK A CLICK-->You get redirected to merchant.

So, you've got the click tracked, and there's nothing the merchant can do about that. To get to them via your link, you had to go through CJ's redir. server.

STAGE 2, ORDER/COMMISSION TRACKING:
    You decide to buy something-->you make the purchase-->you get to the confirmation page, where THERE SHOULD BE the ORDER TRACKING CODE on the merchant's site (there are some variant configurations, but this is the common one).-->This code is tied in with the (Commission) Tracking Server at CJ, and when that gets activated, the commission's credited to your account. When things are implemented properly, that is.

That code is under the merchant's control: It's on their site, or at least, it's supposed to be. If the merchant has messed with or omitted that code...you don't get the commish. (There are a few other scenarios that can mess with proper transaction tracking...you don't have any parasiteware on your computer, do you?)

So, in short: The click tracking and the transaction tracking are two different systems.

Sometimes a glitch can happen that causes the reverse, too (transactions track but no clicks). But needless to say, that's not nearly as big of a deal.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Leader. How and where would one look for parasite ware that redirects commissions?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mailman
    Leader. How and where would one look for parasite ware that redirects commissions?
    First, it depends on whether it's your own transaction that didn't track, or someone else's.

Where: Since it's HIS OWN transaction that did not track, the "where" in his case would be his own computer. (For OTHER transactions, his computer would not affect those.)

How: For checking a computer under his control, I'd suggest that program Microsoft put out (assuming his computer uses Windows): Windows Defender. There are some other programs mentioned in the Parasiteware forum that can be used as well, and for a major cleaning effort it's usually suggested to run more than one. The good anti-adware programs not only find, but usually can delete, parasiteware from your computer. If one doesn't work another often will.

For parasites affecting OTHER COMPUTERS and your commissions from OTHER people's transactions (made from computers not under your control):

That's a whole different ball of wax. What's on your own computer won't change whether other commissions are redirected.

HOW they're found: There are threads in the Parasiteware area that should be able to explain it better than I can. Basically, though, some people have "test computers" that they download the parasitic crap to (so they don't wreck their main computers), and they use those computers to see which merchants are targeted. This kind of testing can be quite involved, with people checking the cookies that are set and even dissecting which PID is in 'em, making videos, etc. Some of it is Greek to me.

How I find out about a merchant I'm curious about: I search for their name on ABW and see if someone has put them up as a parasite-friendly merchant. Make sure to read the whole thread--sometimes, it turns out that they've booted the offending parasite from their program. Also watch the thread dates. If the thread's old, the situation may have changed (for better or for worse).

COMBATTING PARASITIC EFFECTS: There's a few ways that may be partially effective, and none (as far as I know) that are foolproof. All of these *should* be findable in the Parasiteware forum, although the threads may be so old by now that you'd have to look a few pages in. And I think there's a few scattered in the Midnight Cafe. Use the ABW search to find 'em.

Sorry I can't be more helpful on the "combatting" part, but my memory on this area is rusty, and I don't want to say something that may be only partially right.

If anyone has anything to correct/add, hopefully they'll chime in.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Thanks Leader. It looks quite involved and time consuming.

Here's what i think is happening: it is way, way too soon to look for the order. If you placed your order on March 2 or 3, it probably won't ship until Monday, and then be reported to CJ on Tuesday. Most merchants that ship product report after shipment. You need to allow a few days for the process to complete and be reported.

That's what I thought until I looked closer. This merchant is on CJ and doesn't do batch reporting. That means they track with a tracking pixel on the confirmation page, and those normally track within 2 hours.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

So it's five days after I've contacted the merchant, still no reply and still no adjustment to my account.

Is there anything I can do past this point or is it just a loss cause?

Internet Cowboy
    Mark it up to bad tracking and find a new pet merchant is what I would do. If you are paying for traffic, certainly shut that down. Call CJ and have them open a ticket on the event. They might or might not do much about it but it does affect them too.

have you scanned your computer for cookie over writers? Do you use mypoints or anything like it? Did you use google checkout or anything like this?

lots of things can get in the way, but the thing that sucks the most is their response...grounds enough to drop them ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Derrick Kinsey
    This morning, I cleared all the cookies on my computer and clicked the link again. I than viewed all my cookies and there was not one from CJ or the merchant or anything. I have no idea what to do about it.
    Hmmm, this is a bit disconcerting. If the redir. and the tracking are intact you should see 2 cookies (one from each). Definitely let CJ know, if their merchant isn't tracking properly you aren't the only one loosing out on revenue

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread