Can I get some detail on cheap commercials?
    From Revenue Magazine:

http://www.revenuetoday.com/story/gu...ng-2005-winter

MYTH: It is costly to purchase television time.
    TRUTH: This myth was once the truth, but cable and satellite TV have obliterated it. The cost to run a prime-time commercial in any major U.S. market is now $20 or less, often as low as $5. Better still, cable TV allows you to cherry-pick where your commercials will run so that they air only in communities where your prospects live. You can advertise on CNN, MTV, ESPN, A&E, the Discovery Channel - any satellite-delivered programming. And cable companies will produce your spot for a cost near $1,000, a far cry from the $207,000 average spent on production in 2004. How does TV work for affiliates? Just ask any affiliate who has tried it. TV works wonders for anyone who is reaching the right audience with the right offer. I hope that describes you.

Where can I get more info on this? I knew things were cheap but not that cheap.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

I was browsing somewhere and they was a site that allowed you to have a out of a box commercial spot for $200.

can't remember where
    Ma, where the beer? :escape:

I'd be interested in finding out more about this too.

Anyone have any pointers?

Are you trying to find out how to buy television ads or produce them or both? We have some knowledge of TV and radio ads at our house - Dave's done both and I've done radio.

Are you looking for a national campaign or local ones? Merchant ads or ads that can be customized for an affiliate site? Those are a couple of things to help you narrow down what you're thinking.

Might try checking with your local cable company. Mine didn't post details on the website, just the number to call the sales department. I called.

I started laughing to myself when they explained how local ads worked.

You can "bid" for open slots when they run local commercials. You can select how many times it will run by setting a budget. They had options to select channels, times, or programs. A high bid would bump lower priced ads, bid low and it may never show. I asked how much to bid to make sure an ad showed, they wouldn't tell me. They said I could bid as low as $20 or as much as $2000. (I wonder if Google bought my local cable company?)

In other words, it worked just like PPC. It was interesting.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ske9963
    I was browsing somewhere and they was a site that allowed you to have a out of a box commercial spot for $200.

can't remember where
    I've seen a site that mentioned that, and even had lower-priced spots in several not-so-populated viewing areas.
    CLUE: I think they're a CJ merchant (unless they're gone already). If they're still there, they should be findable through a search of the CJ merchant list.

I went through their site as if to buy...the catch was that there's a minimum of spots to buy. They had some spots DIRT cheap on a per-spot basis, but still wanted to sell several at once, which would cause a rather large initial investment.

Also I don't recall seeing any demographic info. They seemed to assume I'd be wanting to show ads locally. But I'd actually like to have them show nowhere near me. MI isn't a state I've found to be overloaded with Buyers. So I would have wanted demographic info for these cheapo stations, some of which are in towns I've never heard of.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I'd just love to learn more about the industry in general.

Do you know of any forums or other resources I could look into to explore a little?

Joe

The current buzz is that eBay is getting into the mix. If you Google "buy television time in local markets" you can read every blog's take on the upcoming test run.

If you have the patience, call a local station (a network affiliate and a cable co both) - ask a salesperson to explain your least expensive options.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoore61103
    If you have the patience, call a local station (a network affiliate and a cable co both) - ask a salesperson to explain your least expensive options.
    Unlike most other industries, buying direct is almost always the most expensive way to get tv air time. In syundicated media, volume brings lower prices, so going through an agency usually gets you MUCH lower rates. Check out SpotRunner, I've used it with moderate success and my family went nuts seeing my business / sites promoted on TV. For most affs, I think SR's the cheapest path to TV advertising, but more opportunities are coming soon.

Affiliate Manager
    I see the above post i was going to say SpotRunner as well. I have no idea of what the results are like but they are creating a good name for themselves.

2,200 for the cheapest plan, which contains 54 slots through out the month, in my case Fox News.

Not Bad!

Spotrunner is definitely an interesting concept. When I was investigating this it seemed getting the commercial made was just as expensive if not way more expensive that getting it on the air, so make sure you factor in both costs.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    SpotRunner has a ton of stock commercials that can be used (they lay down custom audio tracks) if you get lucky enough to find one they have that matches. Doing it that way is the cheapest way I've ever seen to get a professional tv ad.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread