ABW Ambassador
    Adobe Trademarks in urls
    I wondered if it is ok to have a domain name with the name of one of their products in the url... i.e somewordAfterEffects.com or somewordPhotoshop.com etc

I could only find this at CJ which only says the term "adobe" is not allowed. Anyone know more details then please let us know:

For US and international channels, bidding on Adobe trademark terms is open and encouraged. You must however, link to your own URL, not directly to Adobe. In addition, you may not have Adobe in the main portion of your url address. For example, you may use www.isellproducts.com/adobe; you may not use www.isellADOBEproducts.com. For all non-trademark terms, you may link directly to the Adobe site.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Taking them literally in the first sentence they seem to group the word adobe with all terms associated with their products, when they say "Adobe trademark terms."

However, when they get to the part where they talk about URL names, they specifically use the word ADOBE, and do not mention other terms at all.

Either they didn't say what they mean, or you are free to use any trademark terms EXCEPT adobe in your url. If this isn't the case, I'm sure you'll hear about it soon enough. On the other hand, why don't you email the AM and ask before you go to the expense of creating the URL?

ABW Ambassador
    Personally, I wouldn't mess with Adobe by using any of their trademarked terms in a domain name. If they were to protest down the road, they'd be in the right legally and could get the domain away or taken down, meaning a lot of work could go to waste.

Maybe using it in a filename or /directory/ name would be different, I've been wondering about that myself for using brand names in URLs. But pages are easier to undo if necessary, not as bad as a whole domain getting tanked.

It's best not to put any registered trademark into your domain unless you are the owner of the trademark.

Don't put the trademarked name into your url or into your meta but you can use it within a page as long as it's kept out of meta info & domain (some companies don't want their trademarked names in titles either).
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    if I search for Photoshop on google then there are quite a few sites with the term in the domain name (especially on the 2nd page of results). Well I guess asking the AM might be a good idea or just not even bothering with it altogether.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

In the short term you might be able to get by, but once they figured out your commissions are bye bye

Question
    I'm considering using a domain such as acrobat15.com which would be a future release of acrobat. The term acrobat might be a trademark but arcobat 15 isn't.

I'm guessing however this would still fall foul of the authorities (cj/adobe) once they see sales coming in from the domain ? Have the terms and conditions changed much since this original post was make ?

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Yes a company as large as Adobe with an in-house legal depart would take that domain away from you about the time you got it ranked. Bad idea!

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread