What is so special about Google Apps?
    Can someone who knows alot about Google Apps explain to me what is so special about? It looks like for paying an annual amount you just all of the same applications that I have in my free Google Account. Does the annual payment just let me get it on my domain? Is there something else grand I am missing?
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

`Google apps' is based on a rather old (ish) concept of running software from a remote server, rather than on a client's local computer. From what I've seen, google apps itself is primarily a collection of office-type software, similar to (and in direct competition with)the ms office suite. I don't think this would be the same suite as the free google applications you have access to at the moment.

The general concept of web-based applications has some limitations, such as sluggish software performance (compared to running it locally) and dependence on a working internet connection. As you know, an internet connecton can fail for any number of reasons, beyond google's control. So for many people, this would be regarded as a serious limitation.

Other concerns which have been raised are security and access problems associated with storing sensitive data remotely on google servers.

I basically like the concept of google apps, myself, though can't see myself using it as a service personally. I like the idea of software applications being less dependent on the operating system used by a client (ie. undermining the MS monopoly). Still, I just don't see the idea taking off in any big way.

Thanks Kruder.

I have been running thier suite of web based products for quite some time now. Word Processor, Spreadsheet, Email, etc. and am very satisfied with it. The reliability of high speed wired and wireless internet connections in the states in quite good. I very rarely experience an outage at home or at work.

I have also found that working with Gmail is faster than working with Outlook. I know that sounds amazing. But when I consider the startup time, the amount of time to check my mailbox, the amount of time to reply - everything is faster for me since I moved to gmail. Not to mention since my gmail is the same everyplace I never have to worry about it. With Outlook I can only use it on that one computer signed on as that one user.

I really think web based applications are the way of the future. I am doing some contract with the VA and that is the only thing they even consider. Nobody there is even talking about win32 based applications for anything.

But again as far as Google Apps is concerned I cannot see anything in their list that I don't already have access to for free.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Benefis of google apps:

You allow Google to see everything you write up etc.
    You allow goverment officials easy access to your data (No need for a search warrant)
    Google will eventually know more about you than you know about you.

And this is different than the feds kicking down my door at 3am and taking away my computer how ?
    ---
    ---

LOL

Yeah, I agree Patrick- and if anyone has a chance of popularising web-based applications, it will be google ( all those high bandwidth dark fibre networks they own now should help!). Wouldn't it be great to use linux or whatever Os you want, knowing that you can run all your applications remotely? This is a vision I'd support. And it would be nice to see MS work for the people, instead of trying using its monopoly to dictate to us what we can and can't do. Vista makes me angry.

Hardwaregeek has a point though- who's to say google would be any better than other monopolists if they single-handedly controlled access to the world's most popular software (and related data)? This is how mega-corporations become extornionists.

HardwareGeek always makes a good point. It would be boring if everbody agreed with me. As much as they should it is good to have other opinions.
    ---
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by Kruder
    LOL
    And it would be nice to see MS work for the people, instead of trying using its monopoly to dictate to us what we can and can't do. Vista makes me angry.
    I read somewhere MS have an online version of Office in the pipeline in a similar way to Google Apps.

Also reading recently Adobe are planning to put a version of photoshop online using a similar model for payment by renting or paying per use instead of paying for the full application.
    http://news.com.com/Adobe+to+take+Ph...3-6163015.html
    And video editing too.
    http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pres...otobucket.html

For me personally, I don't like the idea of giving up the control. I hate the "rent-a-software" sale. Just give me the dang thing and let me do what I want with it. I don't want to worry about license restrictions, and if I can move the software I've PURCHASED to a new computer...

Though Google's track record is pretty clean, I'm not a fan of allowing people the ability to see my most private information. How's it different than the Fed's knocking down my door? Well, in one case a search warrant has been issued by a federal judge. In the other, any peeping tom with enough curiosity could potentially have access to anything I store on Google's servers.

And let's not pretend that Google robots are reading that text so they can serve "quality" related ads in the same way they do with gmail.

That stuff just isn't for me. Send me an email and I'll let Thunderbird do it's thing on my local machine (IMAP, so the info is available from any computer that has my login credentials).
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by patrick24601
    And this is different than the feds kicking down my door at 3am and taking away my computer how ?
    because you atleast know they are investigating ya.

Quote Originally Posted by markschok
    I read somewhere MS have an online version of Office in the pipeline in a similar way to Google Apps.

Also reading recently Adobe are planning to put a version of photoshop online using a similar model for payment by renting or paying per use instead of paying for the full application.
    http://news.com.com/Adobe+to+take+Ph...3-6163015.html
    And video editing too.
    http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pres...otobucket.html
    Thats interesting news, Mark. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cbsturg
    That stuff just isn't for me. Send me an email and I'll let Thunderbird do it's thing on my local machine (IMAP, so the info is available from any computer that has my login credentials).
    Heading off-topic, but I'm curious about your IMAP experiences. I like to keep ALL my old mail archived, so I've always been leery about using IMAP just because I don't know how it scales for tens of thousands of messages in a hundred or so folders.

I use Thunderbird as well, so I'm just curious if you would recommend IMAP.

Quote Originally Posted by bayview
    Heading off-topic, but I'm curious about your IMAP experiences. I like to keep ALL my old mail archived, so I've always been leery about using IMAP just because I don't know how it scales for tens of thousands of messages in a hundred or so folders.

I use Thunderbird as well, so I'm just curious if you would recommend IMAP.
    I don't know how well it would respond. But I would definitely just have Thunderbird download message headers so as to decrease the overhead. Worse case scenario is archiving old messages to a local machine and leaving more current messages on the IMAP server.

In short, I don't know. That's a good question. I bounce around from machine to machine, so POP is near worthless for me.
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread