iBackup Reviews
    Looking for any happy/unhappy users of ibackup. Before I sign up I'd like to see what the ABW Ibackup users say.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

I think their expensive

TryDataDepositBox I have been with them a couple of years. $2 for 1GB and it works well. It does a running back up. Set it and forget it type. They have a free trial.

My recomendation to everyone interested in a backup solution.

Buy your self a 300 dollar computer with atleast 300GB of storage and install Windows Homeserver on it

Buy your self a 300 dollar computer with atleast 300GB of storage and install Windows Homeserver on it
    Seems like off site is better in hurricane prone areas. My wife's brother had 6 feet of water with Rita.

Just because it is off site doesn't mean its better from bad weather, break ins etc.

To many people think that and its not the case.

Plus you don't control your data when its on someone else server.

As a person with experience in corporate disaster recovery this is not an either/or discussion. You should be doing both - onsite and offsite backups. Period.

I use GoodSync to sync from my primary drive to my secondary drive. Make sure you do that when doing backups - go to a different physical device. To me backing up to someplace else on the same drive is a waste of time. If your drive goes out you've lost everything. If you use a seperate drive in the same machine your MB could catch on fire and your primary drive could fail. You've still got a local restore.

The remote option which !!!@@@##$#$$$%%%EVERYBODY%%%$$$$$##@@@ should be doing is for when your house burns to the ground, or when your computer gets stolen.

There are interim methods also - backing up to a remote server in the same house, backing up to a remote server in a friends house in a different state, backing up to a DVD and putting it in your desk at work. You could go insane with backups.

FYI.. .I downloaded Ibackup for the 14 day trial and it is in the process of doing a 5G backup for me now. I really have 19G to backup but the trial only allows for 5G. That 19G is only on this machine ; I'll have to throw my other machines into the mix soon also.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

I back up remotely too, just for a bit of peace of mind. Our main concerns would be theft, hard drive failure, and storm damage (I've lost data from each of these situations in the past!). I figure that my web host has a better setup than I do at home, like raid 5, a proper UPS, and dat backup. I can back up around 200 Gb comfortably for $30 per year.

Everybody shouldn't back up remotely I'm sorry. If you value your privacy then back up to a hard drive and stick i in a safe deposit box somwhere, but backing up remotely isn't the best of options.

If retail stores and credit card companies can't secure your private information then a company like iBackup can't do much either.

Backing up online is too risky for my taste and there is no gurantee it will be there tomorrow.

I've had clients back up to online solutions and it worked great for a few months even a year or two. Then one day they recieve an email. Sorry due to a hardware error your account was lost blah blah blah blah blah.

Yeah... I'll have to respectfully disagree on this one. Maybe I am not paranoid enough. I can see your points but I have to balance my privacy concerns with my business recovery concerns. I don't want to be standing on the burning ashes of my house (and my hard drive) talking about how well my privacy is guaranteed! (Don't take it personal ; just an opinion)

To me backing up something and then driving it to safety deposit box is a huge inconvience not to mention it relies on the weakest link to remember: Me. With as much as I have going on in live I've realized I cannot remember and do everything. I'd much rather drop a program on my computer that remembers to wake up at 3am and backup for me.

I bet these people wished they had reliable offsite backups. It can make or break a business:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...t=datafeedfile
    ---
    ---

There is a difference between off site and remote, there is a fine line between the two but there is a difference.

Off Site you can access the hardware your self and you own the hardware. Remote online backups isn't the same.

I figure that if I can trust web hosting companies with my web site data (which is critical for my income), then its no biggie to trust them with my general data backups.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread