Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    "The Secret" an amazing piece of...
    BS. Am I the only that sees this as the same old ideas remarketed and repackaged? I mean come on - you bring about what you want in life through your thoughts. Really? No? Come on? Hallelujah!

You can even buy secret stuff for real money at the secret store. I can't wait until they come looking for an OPM. Then we can measure the success of the Secret via CTR

F.A.D.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Yes, I agree that these are `old' ideas Patrick, documented many times over in books by authors such as Norman Vincent Peale.

I was just wondering though, do you know a lot of people who embrace this outlook on life? Unfortuneately, I don't and I still find such people rare. I think you are very fortuneate to find this topic `tiresome'. I would only hope that more people dear to me would see that they don't have to be victims! Maybe its because I'm Australian? Aussies seem a bit behind when it somes to such topics, I've found.

Yeah but what a money maker. May we all think of something that has that "Been there done that" feel that Oprah can market to make us bazillionaires overnight

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I first heard of it last week from my yoga instructor. She encouraged us to run right out and buy the darn thing. When someone tells me to run right out and buy something I typically balk. When I find out it's something Oprah (or some other television guru) is promoting I really balk.

What the heck is it, anyway?

The Secret DVD
    I've always believed if you want to change the world, start with yourself!

Not sure I'd pay $30+tax to hear it again...

[B]geofferson marcy[/B]
    [I]affiliate manager[/I]
    [URL=http://www.advaliant.com]www.advaliant.com[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.dna11.com]www.dna11.com[/URL]

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    I had to look up the website to try and figure out what this thead was even talking about.

From their website: "This is The Secret to everything."

I thought the answer was 42?!
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

42? No, that's the answer to life, the universe, and everything. But what is the question? (What do you get if you multiply six by nine?)

There's a pretty good entry about "The Secret" at Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_%282006_film%29

There's also a link in the References section to see the first 20 minutes of the film on Google Video.

There's certainly nothing new or secret about it.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I read some of the reviews on Amazon and then noticed the forum posts. Now I KNOW I want nothing to do with this product.

http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Rhonda-...dp/1582701709/

Seems to me that it can be boiled down to that old hack that goes something like, "Insanity is when you keep doing the same things in the same way and expecting different results."

YMMV.

Outsourced Program Manager Stephanie Harris's Avatar
    The scary thing about it is that Oprah picks it up, and says "I didn't realize this was a Secret, because I've been doing it all my life" and then everyone runs out to buy this thing. Of course people are going to hear that and think "gee if I follow this, I'll be as successful as Oprah." This just gets to me because it relies on gullible people who might be down on their luck and at the end of their rope and allows them to believe that everything will change overnight for them if they imagine success. Who doesn't imagine being successful??
    Stephanie Harris
    Schaaf Consulting
    p/f: 323.386.2338
    AIM: stephschaafco
    www.schaafco.com | stephanie@schaafco.com
    Our Programs: Baby Catalog | Blue Bee | Constant Contact | CourseSmart | ForMeToCoupon | Homestead | InTheSwim | Ipsos Survey Panel | LightInTheBox.com | Moosejaw | Mrs. Prindables | Payless ShoeSource | simply youth ministry | SnagAJob.com | Specialty Pool Products

Oprah's ugly secret

By continuing to hawk "The Secret," a mishmash of offensive self-help cliches, Oprah Winfrey is squandering her goodwill and influence, and preaching to the world that mammon is queen.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Who doesn't imagine being successful??
    Amazingly, on a non-business forum frequented by older teenagers and young college-agers, while most are more optimistic, I've seen a lot of them say they can't imagine "anything" good for their future

I haven't seen this "Secret" but from the comments in this thread, I'd say that there are indeed people who are missing it. Even accounting for teens' tendency to use hyperbole, there are a lot of them who sure aren't imagining success. I can only hope that they get a better outlook before they convince themselves that the Ford Line is the peak of potential for them.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick24601
    BS. Am I the only that sees this as the same old ideas remarketed and repackaged?
    You're right, Patrick. It's all been said before. This is repackaging at its finest. :-)

Bottom line? Your thoughts create your reality. Positive energy is a force to contend with. That's why prayer, positive thinking, sending energy all work.

Pick your spiritual belief and wrap it around those bottom lines and you have productive, positive outcome.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I like visualization. I've gotten pretty good at it over the years.

The other thing I do is "take stock" before I fall asleep. I started doing it after 9/11. It goes like this, I think to myself "Today wasn't so bad. (And then I list all the good things that happen.)" If I can't think of anything good I just think, "Okay I guess today really did suck," and then I go to sleep.

It works MOST of the time.

I like the one that goes something like: `...grant me the strength to change the things that are within my power to change, the serenity to accept what I cannot change, and the wisdom to know the difference'.

(Sorry, I don't think those are the exact words, but I like the general jist of the saying. Is it called `the serenity prayer'? Maybe someone can help me out here?.)

I think when it comes to philosphies such as those posed by `the secret' its helpful to keep in mind that there are always aspects of life beyond our control. Postitive thinking, to my mind, is the better approach when dealing with those parts of our lives we should, and can, take responsibility for.

But what soem of those `new age' philosphies do not really acknowledge is that there are plenty of things not within our power to control too. I feel that acceptance of this fact makes for a more peaceful, less judgmental & control-freakish existance.

reading this thread just reinforces my opinion that that the average ABW'er is already 2 levels above the drones that 'the secret' seeks to convert.

Ok, I'll come out and say it.

I like the Secret and I made my 17 year-old son watch it with me.

Why? It teaches you to change the way you think about what you want out of life. It oversimplifies creative visualization, but it gets the point across.

That said, the book & dvd completely miss the other very important step that is necessary to achieve your goals which is to "take ACTION". It's great to think about what you want, but it will not drop into your lap, you have to work towards it.
    Danay @ LunaSolMedia.com
    Global Perfomance Marketing. Global Niche Markets = Opportunity!
    HispanicYa!|MallFreebies

I dwell in possibility. ~Emily Dickinson

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    For me personally, the religious nature of "The Secret" causes me a bit of concern.

Don't get me wrong. I am all for visualizing the end result and working hard toward that goal. But the key ingredients are "work" and "persistence". As you old-timers of this forum know, I don't give up.

For me personally, I found that I was not able to pursue my goals in a productive manner until I was able to place them in the proper light. When I first started aff mktg, I would get really bummed if sales/income fell off. This was my "god" of sorts. This was not really a good way to be with respect to my wife, kids, and my Creator. I then started to view these goals as secondary, although still important goals to persist in. On a down day (or month), I now brush it off. In all fairness, I still have another j*b so financial worries (for the family) are not a big issue. But financial worries were not my problem - I made aff mktg an idol of sorts. Is this my recipe for financial success? No. It's the recipe for a "good" life that I believe I was created to have.

As Vince Lombardi spoke it: God, Family, and then Football. Replace Football with AFF Mktg in my case.
    Last edited by Cheesehead; March 6th, 2007 at 12:30 PM.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    For me personally, I found that I was not able to pursue my goals in a productive manner until I was able to place them in the proper light. When I first started aff mktg, I would get really bummed if sales/income fell off. This was my "god" of sorts. This was not really a good way to be with respect to my wife, kids, and my Creator. I then started to view these goals as secondary, although still important goals to persist in. On a down day (or month), I now brush it off. In all fairness, I still have another j*b so financial worries (for the family) are not a big issue. But financial worries were not my problem - I made aff mktg an idol of sorts. Is this my recipe for financial success? No. It's the recipe for a "good" life that I believe I was created to have.

As Vince Lombardi spoke it: God, Family, and then Football. Replace Football with AFF Mktg in my case.
    Cheesehead, I think that which we give the most of our "energy" to will flourish. I also believe that, until I'm dead, I still have stuff to "do" (achieve?) and so I convince myself that my "work" is as valid as my kid's schooling or any other priority. A bit selfish but my work also supports my family so it has to be a priority.

In essence, what you give the most energy to will reap the most benefits. I think all aspects of our lives deserve attention, including what we do for ourselves. We can't give (to God, the Universe, our families, what/whoever) unless we're filling up ourselves. I choose to love myself as God loves me to honor Him, who I believe lives through (in) me. If I'm happy, He's happy, so combining the two fills me up pretty good with more to give, which I believe makes God happy. Kinda convoluted attempt to say chill out, HAVE FUN and what Kruder said. :-)

Kruder said:

"But what soem of those `new age' philosphies do not really acknowledge is that there are plenty of things not within our power to control too. I feel that acceptance of this fact makes for a more peaceful, less judgmental & control-freakish existance."

Amen!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

[QUOTE=Kruder]I like the one that goes something like: `...grant me the strength to change the things that are within my power to change, the serenity to accept what I cannot change, and the wisdom to know the difference'.

(Sorry, I don't think those are the exact words, but I like the general jist of the saying. Is it called `the serenity prayer'? Maybe someone can help me out here?.)

This is how it is said:
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    the courage to change the things I can,
    and the wisdom to know the difference.

Sandee
    Sandra Martin
    sandeebottom at hotmail.com

Senior Affiliate Manager AMWSO James - AMWSO's Avatar
    Some interesting feedback on "The Secret". I haven't yet seen it myself, but I definitely will after reading this thread. It has been recommended to me by a number of people (who are in the AM industry for what it's worth) that I greatly respect.

My feelings are that postive thought is very important. Henry Ford was bang on when he said [something like] this "If you think you can. Or you think you can't. You're probably right." I doubt there's any perfect course out there (apart from maybe the bible or the other holy books ) as people are all so different.

One experience I will never forget is seeing Tony Robbins in Singapore. Wow. Didn't implement most of what he taught, but the 3 days taught me something about sales. He's good. I have never [and maybe will never] seen anything like it. By the end of the 3 day seminar you'd think he was the messiah or something. Truly breathtaking the hold he has over people.
    James D. Nardell
    AMWSO.com Affiliate Management Team
    email: James.Nardell [@] AMWSO.com
    Phone: (805) 624-5669
    IM - Google/Skype: JamesNardell
    iolo technologies | Paychex | Personal VCard Website

Thanks for opinions all. I clicked on some of those and eventually found out that one of the "The Secret" teachers bowed out of the project because of the aggressive marketing:

http://www.drewpictures.com/kb.asp?ID=8&Click=4690

Mmmmm. Marketing.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Quote Originally Posted by James - AMWSO

One experience I will never forget is seeing Tony Robbins in Singapore. Wow. Didn't implement most of what he taught, but the 3 days taught me something about sales. He's good. I have never [and maybe will never] seen anything like it. By the end of the 3 day seminar you'd think he was the messiah or something. Truly breathtaking the hold he has over people.
    Tony Robbins is exceptional. I would love to attend one of his seminars. I'd absolutely love to send my kids to his seminars. I think that would be the best gift I could ever give them.

Tony Robbins has that kind of "power" over people because he's got amazing charisma and he's teaching some very valuable life lessons. I don't believe he's manipulating anyone in a negative way, rather using his "power" to influence people in a positive way. My brother has been through many of his courses and fills me in on all the goodies. It's fascinating stuff and very "action" oriented, while teaching people how to set their minds to goals and be good to themselves and others. When you can complete a 3 day course and finish up by walking on burning coals without getting hurt, there's gotta be something pretty powerful being taught there.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Hi Rexanne,

I agree that what Tony teaches is worthwhile. I am a 'firewallker' and walked on the hot coals during the 3 day "Unleash The Power Within" seminar in Singapore. Didn't get burnt either.

I'd advise anyone to go and see him as there is no doubt you will take something positive away from the experience. You might also end up signing up for 'Mastery University' and shelling out something like $15k+ though. Although UPW is a great experience it's also a presell for Tony's 'Mastery University' and his 'Platinum Partnership' (if you're a high net worth individual). This is where he makes the big money.

Out of interest did your brother do Mastery University? I was tempted but at that point in time the cost was too much for me. You can learn pretty much all of Tony's teachings from his books/DVD's etc for a fraction of the price. (Arguably not the same as seeing him in person though I guess).
    James D. Nardell

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    For those who refer to "same old thing repackaged" welcome to the real world around us.

Oddly the title "Secret" I suspect may be derived from a Conant Nightengale promoted best seller written by Napolean Hill, entitled "The Strangest Secret". It was a huge success in the 70's and 80's. I am a strong believer in reading and listening to life organizing materials. I also try to apply the power of positive to everything I do in life.

The concept of the Secret is not new, it is indeed a repackaging of prior material. However, I find nothing out of the ordinary about that, nor does it negate the validity of the things taught in such materials.

Whether it's Napolean Hill, Tony Robbins, Elmer Wheeler, Dennis Waitley, Zig Ziggler, or any number of people who propound the wisdom of guiding our life trail through our thoughts, the principle is sound.

To no surprise, another thing that is not new is the downplaying of the value or worth of such materials by most. The downplays too are nothing more than a repackaging of the same downplaying that went on before it. I recall in the 70's, upon reading The Strangest Secret, telling friends about this fantastic book and hearing the typical reply: "I don't need all that rah rah stuff." Of course, when I observed their lives, their relationships with their families, discontent with their marriages, jobs, friendships, and pretty much every other aspect of their lives, I knew better. But you can't share what people don't want to see.

Success is not the result of coincidence or luck. It is a choice. For me, reading everything I can get my hands on that is inspirational and beneficial to some aspect of my life plan is an invaluable aid to fueling the journey. So repackaged or not, I intend to read Secret. Just as I intend to keep buying fancy repackaged versions of hamburgers!! Hell, I even saved some of my jeans from the 70's and what do you know, they're back in style!! Go figure!!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Napolean Hill is the 'old school master' of self improvement. I haven't watched "The Secret" yet, but from other posts I suspect the content is along similar lines to "Think and Grow Rich" the seminal self improvement text (and I'm sure "The Strangest Secret" you refer to as well).

Ultimately all the self improvement books/courses/DVD's have their roots in a much much older resource. The bible. There is no doubt that this is where Tony Robbins et al get a lot of their material/inspiration from...The bible contains all the tools you'll ever need for "health, wealth and happiness".
    James D. Nardell

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast