More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Trivia Games and Trademarks
    I am thinking of making a javascript-based trivia game for one of my sites that consists of trivia questions pertaining to a celebrity (like Elvis for example).

Will I have any trademark issues here?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

No, not really. If your questions or answers contain trademarked terms then make sure to include the appropriate indicator - TM or (R) with your fair use of the marks. Don't use the marks as keywords for ranking nor in your URLs and you should be fine. If you want to be totally anal you can avoid the marks from being spidered at all by putting them into java text display code.

That said, read http://www.publaw.com/fairusetrade.html for more information on Fair Use.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    In my experience it varies. I have a fun page about Elvis. No one has ever bothered me about it. I HAD a fun age about Chubby Checker. It's gone because a lawyer sent me a cease and desist letter. Don't even get me started about my favorite fun page of all time that had to be dumped when a team of intellectual property lawyers started sniffing around -- that one was on Betty Crocker. (It was not a flatterinig likeness.)

I think it's worth a try, just make sure you dot your i's and cross your t's as Haiko suggested.

Thanks for all the input!

Here is what I am doing: I have a whole site dedicated to a single collectible trademarked item. I have a single trivia game and also have several image links at the top of the page on each side of my banner - I am a little concerned about this as well. At the bottom of every single page I have the following:

XXXXXXXX® and the XXXXXXXXX logo are registered trademarks of YYYYYYYYYY. This site is in no way affiliated with YYYYYYYYYYY. This site has affiliate relationships with merchants selling XXXXXXXXXX products.
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Do you think visitors or potential visitors (seeing the banner) would be confused about you being the source for XXXXXXXXXXXXXX? If so don't do it - change it!
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

You make a good point Haiko. One can follow all the rules, but it is the impression one gets as they visit the site. The "look and feel" counts a lot.

I got dropped by a mexican food merchant once for using a mexican flag (public domain) along with several of the banners they supplied to affiliates. The page looked too much like there site, even though I did not use any unauthorized graphics.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread