Hi everyone,

There is an article on page C1 of the NY Times today, explaining Parasiteware.

What does everyone think of it?

Thanks,
    Michael

Michael
    973-621-6211 x 5040
    michael(at)barenecessities.com

ABW Ambassador
    I think it was great! Thanks to Haiko. Now if the other networks would put consolidated payments into effect, we can leave CJ sitting on the fence all by themselves! Now is the time for these other networks to institue this! Proud of Andy from TD and Coldwater Creek, JC Whitney and the others for standing up to these parasites. Nice to know that there are still some honorable people left in this world.
    Cazzie [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I really enjoyed that article and how some of our friends at ABW played a part in it. BTW - the article is online at their website. You have to register but registration is free. Here is a link to the article...

Find it on ABW - http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...9&m=5876020321

or on nytimes.com -

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/27/te...gy/27FREE.html

Core [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] - Thanks Haiko

"Somebody's got some 'splanin to do!" - Rex [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Proud of Andy from TD and Coldwater Creek, JC Whitney and the others for standing up to these parasites. Nice to know that there are still some honorable people left in this world.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lest we forget, the one who will NOT allow *ANY* parasite program in at all ... Michael Carter, himself! I'd like to see everyone start making Bare Necessities sites, as a thank you.

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

ABW Ambassador
    My apologies to Michael for overlooking him! In fact I had every intention of setting up a page for him but was dragging my feet. Sorry Michael I will get right on it!
    Cazzie [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    I mentioned in my interview for the article that I long ago disabled all parasites that had joined the ClubMom program. But the Times only used my comments as an affiliate.

Shawn Collins

scollins@clubmom-inc.com
    Director of Affiliate Marketing
    ClubMom, Inc.
    200 Madison Avenue, 6th Floor
    New York, New York 10016
    tel 646.435.6513
    fax 646.435.6600
    http://www.clubmomaffiliates.com

ABW Ambassador
    I miss the days when companies didn't do things because it was unethical, not just illegal.

Funniest pairing of lines has to go to kirk:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Kirk H. Feathers, the chief technical officer of Wurld Media, said that it had been wrongly accused of stealing and that the company would readily go to court to defend itself.

He acknowledged that an earlier version of the company's software did divert commissions away from other affiliate sites but said that new versions dealt with that situation.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So if we agree with him and point to his quote - he is going to take us to court? Some days it is hard to believe there are adults running these companies.

Chet

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    BareNecessities-

It's gonna RAIN underwear this Christmas, I'm tellin' ya.

If you try to please everybody, someone won't like it -Rumsfeld

Haiko and all, Great Job. A good article and it was nice to see where people stand on the issue. Awesome, and to think this is just the beginning. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Affiliate Programs That Kick Major Butt

My favorite is this paragraph;

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Mr. Petersen also pointed to a statement made in an on-line forum where the technology was discussed, in which a LimeWire developer characterized accusations that the software diverts money as "pretty accurate," but said, "While I agree that this is really a bit of a scam, it is a way for us to pay salaries while not adversely affecting our users." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    So it is OK to steal someone else's salary as long as it doesn't effect the user! The truth is more like "we lost all of our funding when the bubble burst and we needed to keep our cushy jobs with out having to work"

Haiko, great job!

Craig Uberroth
    Knack Technologies
    marketing@megamouse.com
    (913)731-6010
    Get your LaunchPad @
    MegaMouse.com

Terrific article! I just love the way some of the parasites tried to justify their activities. Great job Haiko, Andy and others featured in the article. You guys rock!

Sal @ PHATBargains.com

I really found it funny as well that we, as affiliates have to help fund a company that participates in illegal activities such as file swapping (MP3). Why don't they make the users pay up. (I know why, because the users will go elsewhere.) It just pissed me off. I would be like Wal-Mart falling on hard times and coming in and stealing my laptop to sell in the local store to make money! And I am supposed to be okay with it.

Core

"Somebody's got some 'splanin to do!" - Rex [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Well the lights have been turned on and the roaches are scurrying. Kudos to all involved with the article. Wouldn't be surprised to see an investigation launched based on the comments of those in the parasite industry.

Mike

Don't Worry Mama, It Won't Get Freaky!

ABW Ambassador
    The issue is definetly getting out there. Most merchants here(not all) Amazon, NY Times article, just saw it at http://www.slashdot.com The more people know about this, the more people will be watching. Threw some light on Morpheus, they did a quick fix. More people watching, more media attention. A lot of merchants still associated with the parasites are huge brick and mortar stores. Their online sales pale in comparison to their brick and mortar sales. They can't afford bad publicity. We just have to keep pushing, more media, more pressure. You can also just use the parasite merchants as spider food. Someone visits your site because they found it looking for parasite-merchantx But at your site you can say "you can get this at parasitemerchant for $$$$$ but you can get it cheaper at $$ non-parasite merchant. Theres a lot of merchants on the list, but more that aren't on the list. Some up and comers, promote them a little more. And they might go the parasite way too. Move on to another.

May all your ups and downs be in bed

[This message was edited by johnniebry on September 27, 2002 at 01:16 PM.]

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread