ABW Ambassador
    The most popular time people shop online
    Can anyone tell me what the recent stats are, I mean the time of the day when people do their online shopping, research, look for coupons etc. I tried searching a bit but most pages I found covered the holiday season, I just want everyday stats for the rest of the year. I would also like to hear what the most popular days of the week are as well. The target location is USA and for general consumer goods.
    Last edited by glittered; March 5th, 2007 at 07:57 PM.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

ABW Ambassador
    This is from over 5 years stats on a coupon/shopping site and looking at another site of mine, same findings:

Weekdays better than weekends. Monday is the best day of the week. And looking at the hours, all over the place but it seems lunchtime is good and then after dinner hours.

When I first started I thought weekends would be better than after putting more thought into it and looking at stats I realize people love to shop at work on those super fast computers. And then I think the time in between when dinner is over and people go to bed, they got online and do some shopping among other things.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    and then after dinner hours.
    Yep we definitely see a spike in the late eve after people have dinner..

It really depends on the product line.

For years we saw M-F during business hours as the top times for travel sales, with Thursday being best, but trends are just the opposite with Black Cat. Our sales spike after work and on weekends, especially following the 1st and the 15th paydays.

I think "general consumer goods" is perhaps a bit too general. Who is your target audience? Do they have a schedule that would help give you an idea of when they'd buy? Are they stay-at-home moms, for example, that may be too busy with the kids during the day to shop online, so log on after dinner, or are they more likely to work in a cubicle that affords some online time during the day?
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eathan
    I think "general consumer goods" is perhaps a bit too general. Who is your target audience? Do they have a schedule that would help give you an idea of when they'd buy?
    What Eathan said--On my mall, I've noticed that sales in general tend to happen in the afternoon. But, which merchants are generating those sales varies depending on the time of day and the product line.

If I can guess out the mindset of who'd be buying the particular type of stuff, sometimes I can find a pattern based on that, too.

When I was managing the Perfume.com affiliate program last year, the busiest time of day was between 8:00 and 11:00 in the morning. Looking back, I wonder if it was all those desperate housewives shopping online when hubby was away at work. I wonder if the perfume was even for him or.....???

Just kidding....!

But seriously, I do know that busy times for certain products can be during the work week when everyone has access to high speed internet. I can't believe there are still a lot of households that use dial-up!

*sigh*
    [B]geofferson marcy[/B]
    [I]affiliate manager[/I]
    [URL=http://www.advaliant.com]www.advaliant.com[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.dna11.com]www.dna11.com[/URL]

What I've seen is that it's busiest through the week during normal "9-5" business hours, with the exception of Friday. Things start to slow down earlier on Friday. Saturday is my slowest day of the week. Sunday picks back up again.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I see pretty much the same traffic every day of the week, with it steady from 9am to 11pm.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    My research has shown a lot the same as Michael's: M-F the highest traffic volume days, slowing down Friday afternoon through Sunday, Saturday is the slowest.

1 PM (PST) seems to be the highest point of traffic.

No clue about sales. Never analyzed when people pull the buy trigger, just the traffic patterns.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

This thread is making my mind spin. Obviously some very experienced affiliates posting here, but I've noticed exactly the opposite over the last month - sales from my coupon site only on the weekends and nada during the week. But clearly it must have just been a fluke, and I don't have near the history built up yet to take a stand one way or another... except maybe to say that YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    What I've seen is that it's busiest through the week during normal "9-5" business hours, with the exception of Friday. Things start to slow down earlier on Friday. Saturday is my slowest day of the week. Sunday picks back up again.
    I would have to agree with Michael...I used to work for an online auction and weekend is the lowest point, specially saturday.

ABW Ambassador
    I appreciate all this helpful knowledge from people that would know
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Weekdays better than weekends. Monday is the best day of the week. And looking at the hours, all over the place but it seems lunchtime is good and then after dinner hours.
    I'm seeing similar trends on my mall site. From mid-morning through lunchtime it's mostly womens products and during the evenings and weekends there is a mix of mens and womens products sold. During the holidays it rocks all day long with is little drop on the weekends. Unlike others, I have a seasonal traffic rise during the dog days of summer. I don't know why, but I don't mind the extra trips to the bank.
    ~Ernie

I'm more in to sports related sites, and my traffic (and sales) peaks on Sunday and tapers off gradually untill Saturday, which is my slowest day. This has been like that for years, with very few exceptions. One of those is Superbowl Sunday, I have no traffic whatsoever.
    My guess is that people watch their favorite sports event on Sat or Sun, which reminds them to go online and buy some new gear. Later during the week they forget about it, and Sat (slowest day) they go out and play themselves instead of going to my sites and buy
    [URL=http://www.golfbeginnerguide.com/]Golf Beginner Guide[/URL] ; [URL=http://www.ladygolfersguide.com/]Lady Golfers Guide[/URL]

15 years and counting
    Michael Coley - What I've seen is that it's busiest through the week during normal "9-5" business hours, with the exception of Friday. Things start to slow down earlier on Friday. Saturday is my slowest day of the week. Sunday picks back up again.
    Same for me. Things are slowing down more and more on Friday. The trend started 4/5 years ago and it's getting worse every year but Sunday afternoon sales are better than before. My sales over $2/3k are always placed in the evening even late at night. And Tuesday is on average the best day of the week.

My experience says that (buyer & product) are the key elements. Lingerie sales, for example seem to all originate from the daytime work puters. Tools and housewares may be an as-needed item with many sales originating in the evening.
    Terrie
    Moonbeam Mega Mall

Affiliate Manager
    Contact lens sales vary but generally Mon/Tuesday are busiest. Wed/Thurs/Sun are good days and Fri/Sat are fairly slow. Weekday busy hours are 9 to 3 or 4 EST and weekends fluctuate too much to give hours.

We sell fashionable clothing for teenagers and young adults and I noticed orders will start trickling in by lunch hour and then a whole lot between 4-9pm U.S Time. We do pretty good on weekends by the way Like the other posters said, I guess it depends on who your target market is.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread