View Poll Results: I'm new to all of the "affiliate" programs. Any advice?

2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stay with the well known products.

2 100.00%
    I have a new classified ad web site and I'm interested in affiliate programs, but a little--very--skeptical about who to trust. Any advice out there? My first thought is to go with the products that are better known names, so that maybe if I don't get my checks, I can contact them direct, and get a little help getting paid--but of course, the commissions are less.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

You are not giving me much of a choice here.
    Or are you forcing me to click that one choice [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it."

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Well hiya fellow Hoosier. I guess to start, the affiliate programs that have forums here are pretty good bets to get products from. Plus there's some affiliate managers floating around here too.

I'd check the parasiteware forums out too and stay away from programs that are involved with Morpheus and their ilk, if possible.

I'd post more but I'm tired. Cya around!

If you try to please everybody, someone won't like it -Rumsfeld

ABW Ambassador
    Is there any theme to your site?

A local Shopper/Gazette-type Classifieds?

A Free-For-All?

Automotive? Dating? Sports memoribilia?

A lot of us could give you advice if we knew what demographic you are targeting.

AS SEEN ON SE!!!

Welcome to ABW,

Just finding this site is the best step you can take in weeding through the affiliate programs. The "Academy" forum is a great place to start.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>My first thought is to go with the products that are better known names, so that maybe if I don't get my checks, I can contact them direct, and get a little help getting paid--but of course, the commissions are less.

I find the opposite to be true. The known names seem to be most prominently associated with the parasites and seem to be the least helpful and most difficult to get paid from. The merchants with forums here at ABW are good ones to begin with, IMHO TigerDirect is awsome. It really depends on the theme of your site and how you match the merchants to your visitors.

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Yeah. Smaller merchants are more grateful.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    You need more choices in your poll! If your mind's already made up, what's the point of asking?

Anyway, what Icicle said. Ernie's got valid points too but I have different reasons for preferring the small ones. "Smaller merchants are more grateful", as Icicle said, is one of the main reasons. The other one is that small merchants aren't always promoting something that's saturated to death already with major competition! Plus the big names have a seeming compulsion to compete with their own affiliates. Branding banners, enticements to call them instead of ordering online, reminders that they have stores (that the people can go to instead of ordering online)...those are common Big Name Merchant tricks.

Big places will take you for granted and treat you like an employee a lot more than most small places. Of course there's some rotten apples in both barrels but there's more rotten ones with names like Dell, WalMart, and BlueLight than there are ones with names like and

Best to go with popular (but not saturated) categories than popular merchants. A place that NEEDS YOU to LIVE is soooo much more pleasant to promote than one that's spending $100 million on TV ads but only $10,000 on affiliates--and begrudging every penny of that relatively miniscule aff. budget!

The best products are the ones that a lot of people want but yet there aren't too many online stores selling the stuff...

And sorry, no true deadbeat will really help you get paid no matter what its size.

There's more that could be written but I am falling asleep right now since I'm a night owl and it's late morning here. Zzzz...

There is no knowledge that is not power.~~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks to everyone for your input! It really helps to talk to someone who has already "been there & done that". Sorry I had only one choice--I'm not as computer savvy as I want to be, & I goofed on the entries. Anyway--Advice on sticking with the smaller--less known merchants seems to make more sense, but I guess you never really know--until it's too late--if payment is going to be an issue. The site is It has categories from Antiques, Autos, Personals, Employment, Furniture, pretty much anything to buy or sell and then some. Just like the newspaper classifieds, except our price is only $12 for 24 days and pictures can be included in the ads for only $3. So, I really don't have a specific demographic. Even people without computers go to the nearest library to buy an ad or look into our job ads. Thanks again everyone!

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread