Upset with Disney
    I got an email at 6:30 this afternoon that Disney is no longer commissioning gift card sales. While I completely understand their decision, they apparently made it effective today BEFORE the email went out.

I have been promoting the heck out of those gift cards, and they know that. Can a merchant change their terms like that before they even notify their affiliates and give no notice at all about the change? I heard after the fact that they have been planning this for a month, so it is not like they had to make an emergency decision.
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    apparently it is managed by LS.

so either there was a delay in communication b/w disney and LS or somebody dropped the ball.

Was going to be nice to read through the T&C but the alignment of the T&C makes it very hard to read. The T&C should tell you if they owe you commission on gift cards
    http://alogin.linksynergy.com/php-bi...749_123486.txt

Feel free to take a jab at it.

If they would have notified me even the day before that they were not going to continue paying on them, I would have been fine with that. It looks from my account like they all of a sudden stopped paying on them at about noon yesterday and then sent the email out at 6.

I think it's going to be time for me to cut my losses on this one. I've weathered ever-shifting commission changes, lack of AM support, and now this. It's going to hurt my site for awhile but probably save my sanity in the long run. A little respect and communication was all I ever expected.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by helpingmoms
    I think it's going to be time for me to cut my losses on this one. I've weathered ever-shifting commission changes, lack of AM support, and now this. It's going to hurt my site for awhile but probably save my sanity in the long run. A little respect and communication was all I ever expected.
    I would slot in either another merchant with disney products and or competitor's products.

check your PM

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    apparently it is managed by LS.
    I thought EcomWorks managed this, it's still listed on their site?
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

I'm kind of getting the impression that they used to but LS took it over in the last several months. They have never communicated any of that to us. We just stopped getting things from "Nicole" and stated getting them from the "DisneyShopping Affiliate Team."

Fortunately, I have a call with LS and Disney this afternoon. I'm hoping to get some better information about the state of everything. I'm going to be honest with them that I just can't deal with all of their mess anymore. If they are not going to clean up their act and start taking care of their affiliates better, I'm going to revamp my site to work around them. I already found some cute indy sites last night with some great Disney stuff.

ABW Ambassador
    "I got an email at 6:30 this afternoon that Disney is no longer commissioning gift card sales. While I completely understand their decision"

What is the reason? I know some do but a lot of merchants don't, never could figure out why besides getting over on an affiliate. Or is it something else I'm missing?

I think it mainly has to do with double-paying commissions. Most merchants pay commissions when an order is paid for with gift certificates (as they should). If they also pay commissions on purchases of gift certificates, they have the potential to pay twice, once when the gift certificate is purchased and again when it is redeemed.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Ah ok. But I guess that would only happen if the person you sent the gift card to, instead of going directly to the merchant site, went back thru your own links or another affiliates links or had a cookie on their computer via an affiliate already?

Yeah, pretty unlikely IMHO.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

The other reason merchants do not pay on gift cards is that there is no margin for the merchant.

I would disagree with that. They might think there's no margin, but there is.

1) They have the margin fo whatever is purchased.

2) 4-10% of gift certificates/cards are never redeemed.

3) The average consumer spends 40% more when they redeem a gift card.

Consider a merchant who sells twenty-five $40 gift cards and has a 15% net margin. At least one of those gift cards will never been redeemed, so that's at least $40 profit right there. The other 24 will generate over $1300 in sales and over $200 in profit. That's over $240 in profit from $1000 in gift cards. Even if they paid a 10% (which is way more than most merchants with a 15% net margin pay) on both halves of the transaction (which is unlikely), their affiliate cost was barely $230, so they still squeaked through with a slim profit.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

I think that they may look back and regret their decision after a few months. I mean, they sell their gift cards at a discount when they sell them in bulk. And some companies that I work with sell their bulk cards at 10-15% off (not sure what Disney's is).

The really funny thing is that I can actually get a commission by buying them through one of my affiliates BESIDES Disney. We'll see if that lasts.

Disney has an interesting affiliate management history. I recall several years ago getting a call from Disney telling me they weren't going to pay me on any of my sales because I had no IMPRESSIONS and they wanted to know what I was doing corrupt to get SALES with no impressions. That really scared me, lol! They did pay me by the way, lol! ( I have always found them responsive other than that odd moment).

Perhaps they can extend you a private offer if that was a fair portion of your business? Exceptions can be made by anyone for anyone you know

Quote Originally Posted by Anne
    ... I recall several years ago getting a call from Disney telling me they weren't going to pay me on any of my sales because I had no IMPRESSIONS and they wanted to know what I was doing corrupt to get SALES with no impressions. That really scared me, lol! They did pay me by the way, lol! ( I have always found them responsive other than that odd moment).
    I used to get those calls too when I didn't include that 1x1 image for some of pages I was promoting. Only 1 merchant in several years ever dropped me for it, because I just couldn't add it at the time because of the software I was using.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    "Upset with Disney"

I got upset with them many years ago and haven't promoted them in probably 6 years. Makes me happy to know I've avoided even more agro.

Good luck HM - I classify Disney under the "corporate merchants who treat affiliates like cr*p " status and have replaced their links with other merchants who sell the same Disney merchandise but actually convert, pay their affiliates and treat us with respect. Makes life a lot sweeter and less stressful.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I know in the distant past that LS had real problems with their email server when it came to sending emails out. Somehow they get stuck and are sent out sporadically. I recall once when an annoucement was made here on the forum about the email that was sent out and nobody had gotten it yet. I got mine the next day.

Not making excuses, but this could have been it. Still, I think they could have given much more notice.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

If I belonged to a loaylty or rebate program (we all know who they are), I would order a card, then order my merchandise using the card - hence easy to double dip. I know I've looked for opportunities like that!

Can't really blame Disney - they probably saw a lot of it and it passed the pest into revenue loss thresh hold.

The timing of notification is unacceptable - taking orders w/o paying - bad LS/Disney.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread