Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Greg Niland Slams All Affiliate Managers
    I stopped listening to WebmasterRadio the day Haiko stopped doing AM Today. But last night I read somewhere that Jon from WickedFire had recently been on one of their shows and I decided to listen to it to see if he had anything worthwhile to say (which, as usual, he didn't). But one part did catch my ear, it was when the host of "GoodKarma", Greg Niland, pretty much slammed every AM with one comment.

You've got to know how to scam if you're going to be an affiliate manager.
    They were in discussion about a certain lead type, and Jon mentioned not knowing how to track the conversions, when the person in charge of the lead program could say only 2 or 3 converted when maybe 20 or 30 converted. Greg first chimed in with "Then he should become an affiliate manager". Jon misunderstood, and replied "I'm too cool for that". Greg said "No, no no, I said he should become an affiliate manager"....followed by the quote above.

While the whole show was useless, and if that's where WMR has gone, then it's sad. But I thought it was even more sad that Greg would go as low as throwing every affiliate manager under one blanket. Yes, there are bad AMs, but there are also many, many good ones. I will say that was the first and last time I will listen to that show.

If you're interested in hearing the conversation, you can go to the archive and listen to the 03/01/2007 show. The actual comments are right around the 31:30 mark, but to get in on most of the preceding conversation, I would start at around 29:00 or 30:00.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

All the blah-blah-blah for somebody who does not know what he is talking about! Well, I think I will just take your word and wont bother to check their useless conversation...but i am amused to learned that they do archive all those non-sense talk!

ABW Ambassador
    While I don't listen to WMR either but for different reasons, I consider Daron & Brandy as friends.

It was not Greg's intention to slam all AMs.
    He has been around and knows the good AMs from the bad ones.

He thinks the word he may have used was "skimmimg".

In any event he intends to blog about this and mention it on his next show.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Unfortunately I think there are quite a few affiliate managers to believe that they're in competition with their affiliates and that we are fair game. Some of the methods I've seen to "beat out the affiliate commission" have been nothing short of parasitic.

ABW Ambassador
    "Last week on my Internet marketing radio show GoodKarma I was discussing affiliate managers and the concept of skimming (the act of not paying affiliates for all valid sales). It seems I might not have been clear and some people might have misunderstood what I meant.

http://www.goodroi.com

I'd like to read the transcript and form my own opinion. Anyone have a copy of that?

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    I've hung out with Greg before, he's a funny guy. He's got a keen wit sharpened by years of real experience. He's smart and he's open and honest when it comes to talking details. I think it's very likely that he was making a joke, on the spot, about that kind of thing. I've been burned by some skimming AMs before and I can see the humor in what Greg said. I'd suggest you look at more of his work (and you won't need to look far to make a judgment) before jumping to conclusions about him based on just one comment from a conversation with Jon/wickedfire.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Yep, things are sometimes taken out of context and the rumors hit the fan. Just ask Mel, or John K, or any of us (that would be all of us) who have said something that is construed other than as it was intended.

Oh yeah - life is good!!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant Consultant Team
    "Last week on my Internet marketing radio show GoodKarma I was discussing affiliate managers and the concept of skimming (the act of not paying affiliates for all valid sales). It seems I might not have been clear and some people might have misunderstood what I meant.

http://www.goodroi.com
    I know this is slightly offtopic and might sound stupid, but how does an AM skim on affiliate commissions? I just don't get it. Wouldn't the affiliate network reports directly to the Affiliate on all sales? Do AMs have the right to remove sales, reverses it or something and then push them to their own account?

More on topic: I do know of a few very good AMs so all is not lost!

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    bizzer,

I would recommend doing some research on this because often times the network is the group capable of "catching" any type of behaviour that could be considered "skimming", so you'll want to understand a lot of the different methods that some have used.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian - ShareASale
    bizzer,

I would recommend doing some research on this because often times the network is the group capable of "catching" any type of behaviour that could be considered "skimming", so you'll want to understand a lot of the different methods that some have used.
    Bryan, good advice. That's one of the reason why I got onboard ABW. To learn. You have a wonderful and well respected network. Care to share on on this topic?

Affiliate Manager
    How can someone call ALL Affiliate Managers. There are so many affiliate programs and publishers that have made so much money, surely some could be legit

he didn't say "all", that's somebody else's interpretation of what he said. read the details for yourself before you decide anything.

What details? The details on the page he wrote explaining what he recalls having said, or what he meant by what he said, or what he meant to say? As far as I'm concerned there are no relevannt details until someone can produce a verifiable transcript or a recording.

Otherwise it's all interpretive dance.

Just Talking about the Screw Factor & not all AMs
    Greg's a good guy and I'm absolutely *certain* he didn't mean to sweep all AM's under one umbrella. Greg is one of the top people in the industry and he's there for a reason - he knows his stuff - and he's charming to boot.

In Greg's defence... I think we've all encountered some programs that have, what I refer to as, 'screw factor.' We have amazing proprietary tracking programs inhouse and there are a lot (and I mean a lot) of impressions that seem to be much, much lower in a lot of programs - and yes we are using the same metrics. If impressions can go the way of Houdini...

On the other hand, there are many, many good programs out there with exceptional AM's I see a lot of you here!!!

It's all down to testing, creating relationships and tracking your own stuff not relying on other people's data.

Ceri

Whatever.

Where's the transcript?

In all honesty, when talking about lead programs, I can't imagine any honest participant NOT being somewhat jaded. Wise cracks go with the territory.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Welshie
    Greg's response
    Do not patronize me.

Greg either can't or won't produce a transcript. Let me know if he needs the contact info of a good transcriptionist.

Patronize? You're being a little lazy here.

The archived podcasts are linked to, right on his blog, where Welshie linked above.
    Here:
    http://www.webmasterradio.fm/episode....php?showId=35
    It's this show:
    http://media.webmasterradio.fm/episo...7/GK030107.mp3
    (3/1/2007)
    It's ~55 minutes long.

In the first post in this thread, mobilebadboy said:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're interested in hearing the conversation, you can go to the archive and listen to the 03/01/2007 show. The actual comments are right around the 31:30 mark, but to get in on most of the preceding conversation, I would start at around 29:00 or 30:00.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    and he gave you this link:
    http://www.webmasterradio.fm/episode....php?showId=35

If you're not interested in listening for yourself, I'm cool with that. But if you continue demanding a transcript and hurling barbs at people who don't/won't/can't provide one but who do link you to right where the audio is, right there for you to hear yourself, I doubt anyone will bother "helping" you by becoming your personal transcriptionist.

Hey Donuts, I know this guy's a friend of yours but give me a break. I didn't read the whole article expecting to find a link to the transcript. I read it halfway through and gave up. Somebody might have mentioned there was a link *to* the transcript in the article but apparently they were too lazy, too.

I haven't talked to greg in years, i'm not defending him - i told you to listen and decide for yourself. And the first post here has a clear link to the audio file. So you gimme a break. Or stick to your lazy attitude and make me the problem, i'm cool with either one.

Ooooh I believe I've been challenged to a slap fight. Donuts, I'll see your accusation of laziness and raise you one childish name-caller.

Where on that page is the link to the radio file? I've looked at that page three times and can't find it. Better yet, why not just post the link to the radio file right here so everyone who reads this thread doesn't have to hunt for it like I have.

Oh my god, for the third time, the link is in the first post here at ABW!

If you're unable to scroll back/up that far by yourself, here's a link:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...43&postcount=1

See the last paragraph there, it looks like this:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    and the word I've bolded, "archive" is a hyper link.

In case you can't find it still, here is the link again:
    http://media.webmasterradio.fm/episo...7/GK030107.mp3

So... I'll see your raise and call. Where call means I won't raise you further again if you're unable or unwilling to click on these links by yourself... again... still...

The link is in mobilebadboy's post that started the thread.

Now, y'all play nice...
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast