Index Name - what a nightmare!
    hi all!

I'll be quick:
    I have a datafeed with hundreds of categories and thousands of products per category.
    I'd love to be able to get an index page with the name based on the category (eg: jewellery.html, watches.html etc) with each index page containing a maximum of 10 items and a link to the next/previous page.
    Now I know how to get index pages with the right name and I also know how to get a new index page every 10 items but I don't know how to do the two things at the same time!!!

At the moment if I have index pages like jewellery.htm etc (which is great) but then the index may even contain 150 items!!! (

Thank you all for the help I'm sure u'll give me!

(ps: I need an automated solution as my datafeeds can contain up to 25,000 records each!!)

Affiliate Manager
    Currently WebMege allows page breaks on a number of items, or when a field changes, but not both. That enhancement is in development now, and will be part of v2.5.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

well in that case i really look forward to the new release as until then I won't be able to use webmerge

Quote Originally Posted by seibei
    well in that case i really look forward to the new release as until then I won't be able to use webmerge
    Hi seibei,

You can still use WebMerge for other smaller datafeeds, but if you wait for the new release before you do your ideas, well........ you may be waiting a long time without having the jewellery pages live and selling.

Three years ago, I decided to start learning PHP and MySQL because of the limits I was finding with WebMerge, and now I am glad I did that, otherwise I would still be waiting for that update, and not had learned all I know now about PHP and all the things that I can do with it.

So it's up to you if you want to wait for the bus, or if you want to start walking. Either way you may get there, but depending on when you get there, the party may be over.

Think about it.

Mr. Sal gives good advice
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Affiliate Manager
    Of course the proof will be in the pudding, so until I finish v2.5 (and it's not like we've been sitting idle) it's hard to say whether I'll have it done before you've mastered MySQL, PHP, and the other things needed to reinvent such wheels. But it may be worth noting that we have a few thousand customers who've been enjoying good results with the current version of WebMerge, some of them with feeds of more than 30,000 records.
    Richard Gaskin

hey guys!
    thank you all for your replies.
    With all respect for webmerge (which i still find incredibly useful), I think I will take Mr Sal's suggestion on board.
    Now there's a quickie for Mr Gaskin: any idea when the next version will be released?

i found a solution! - i got a macro for excel which automatically splits my datafeed. It creates a new spreadsheet per category. This really made my life easier!

Affiliate Manager
    Glad to hear it. Hard to beat an Excel macro for easy programming tasks.

I don't yet have a specific date for v2.5's release, but I can say that the interface is done and much of the code is in place. It's a tricky thing, since pagination affects other complex parts of the code such as the automatic table generation, so it's taken a bit longer than I'd hoped. I'll post a note here once I complete that so you can help test the Beta if you like.
    Richard Gaskin

Quote Originally Posted by seibei
    i found a solution! - i got a macro for excel which automatically splits my datafeed. It creates a new spreadsheet per category. This really made my life easier!
    Hi Seibei,

Could you share what macro you're using and where to get it? I'm running into the same problem with one of the feeds I'm trying to use.

Thanks,
    Adam

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread