Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ASOS Quote Regarding Affiliates..
    See this unbelievable quote taken from New Media Age:

"Next year we'll reintroduce affiliate marketing but as it should be, as opposed to affiliates as they were" said Nick Robertson, ASOS CEO. "(There'll be) no silly commissions being paid to grubby little people in grubby studios growing income at our expense, getting in the way of genuine sales"

Not a very wise choice of words...

Thoughts?
    [email="dbird@profitistic.com"]Dave Bird[/email]
    Affiliate Manager
    [URL="http://www.profitistic.com"]Profitistic - Affiliate Network[/URL]
    CPA, CPS, CPC, CPM Offers Available
    [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue][URL=http://www.profitistic.com]Merchants: NO SET-UP FEES and NO MONTHLY MINIMUMS![/URL][/COLOR]

Lightbulb
    it would make him happy if I worked in a tux?

This is thelink
    Last edited by loxly; March 8th, 2007 at 04:05 PM. Reason: fixed the link, it was bumping out the forum size

And what's he got against "grubby little people"? Will their terms include affiliates must have a web site, be clean shaven, and be over 6'4.

ABW Ambassador
    "Thoughts?"

He's taking a hammering from the UK blogs and forums. Not too bright on his part.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Herb wrote:
    it would make him happy if I worked in a tux?
    I suspect it'd make him happy if you worked in one of his grubby little outfits that supposedly copies the ridiculously overpriced celebrity outfits that his grubby little company rips off.

ABW Ambassador
    I'm decked out in Hanes Classics, I'm stylin.

This could turn out to be a spectacular shot in the foot!
    [email="dbird@profitistic.com"]Dave Bird[/email]
    Affiliate Manager
    [URL="http://www.profitistic.com"]Profitistic - Affiliate Network[/URL]
    CPA, CPS, CPC, CPM Offers Available
    [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue][URL=http://www.profitistic.com]Merchants: NO SET-UP FEES and NO MONTHLY MINIMUMS![/URL][/COLOR]

ABW Ambassador
    I know who I won't be promoting. In fact I might make sure that I work really really hard for the competition!

I'm also getting really really tired of the sterotype of people who work at home and use computers. I work in a beautiful space overlooking a meadow filled with wildlife and sunshine. My jeans are no grubbier than anyone else at the supermarket. jeesh.

"Next year we'll reintroduce affiliate marketing but as it should be, as opposed to affiliates as they were" said Nick Robertson, ASOS CEO. "(There'll be) no silly commissions being paid to grubby little people in grubby studios growing income at our expense, getting in the way of genuine sales"
    I guess it all depends on who and what he's referring to. It certainly sounds like he's talking about parasites, in which case I think almost everyone here would agree. Having said that, though, I have no idea who he's talking about.

It's always best to be clear rather than just calling names.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    8 different blogs on this made the front page:

http://www.bumpzee.com/affiliatemarketing/

Outsourced Program Manager John Jupp's Avatar
    I'm afraid he's not talking about parasites.

ASOS got a very bad rep last year and the repercussions are still being felt. There are many major affiliates who will promote anyone but ASOS.

The company lost its way after some major structural changes and at the same time managed to alienate almost the entire UK affiliate industry.

There are numerous threads about the company on other forums dating over the last year.

The NMA article is repeated on page 17 with further "statements". Two networks have already publicly declared today they shall not entertain them when they attempt to relaunch.

As many are saying in the UK....what a "Ratner" type statement!

From elsewhere on the www: 'As well as his disparaging remarks on page 4, there is a profile of him on page 17 of the magazine in which he says: "We had 2.3m at start-up, which really isn't much, so we did the same cheap and dirty things that everyone at the time did, starting with affiliate marketing and PR".'
    Flambi Media Limited - USA/UK/EU Affiliate Management Expertise

I find it very disappointing that he had to make this statement in NMA. Affiliate Marketing is already a dirty word to many people who think it just relates to spyware, parasites etc. We are constantly trying to educate people about the world of AM, then this high profile industry figure goes and says something like that. Give me strength...

Talking
    If you read that name while thinking in English but, tried to read it in Espaol like if you don't know English............

Then, if you read it alout in Espaol, any one around you that don't know that you're reading that name in spanish, would just hear the word.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    so what did he really mean? The article isn't doesn't seem to be very comprehensive.

ABW Ambassador
    Linkbait.

I may be grubby , but I'm not little, and i'm not in a 'studio'.

ABW Ambassador
    Controversial crap = outrage = BUZZ + LINKS = PageRank + linkpop = rankings + traffic.

It's the new magic. Content isn't king, linkbait crap is king - whatever kind of crap it takes.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    Controversial crap = outrage = BUZZ + LINKS = PageRank + linkpop = rankings + traffic.

It's the new magic. Content isn't king, linkbait crap is king - whatever kind of crap it takes.
    I agree and Charlie should be trained to throw parrot poop along the WWW trail so he becomes famous. Next step is to put parrot poop into cookies and watch web surfers acquire a taste for the stuff ... while I get rich. Hey ... It's Green, and organic, with a small carbon footprint unlike that glow in the dark pink Flamingo crap.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    http://www.nma.co.uk/Home/Default.aspx

Doesn't look like a site that needs to link bait. Even the title is pretty basic: ASOS.com to reintroduce affiliate marketing.

Omg, I hope they approve ME to run their program!!!LOLOL!

Outsourced Program Manager John Jupp's Avatar
    This isn't a linkbait thread for one reason only.

This issue originates in the UK about a company which trades in the US and the UK and which had affiliate programs running via networks to both countries.

The new management structure begrudged paying networks, questioned the integrity of affiliate marketing, cut affiliates for no reason, then had a strop and scrapped their program after passing insults at a number of leading affiliates and others.

The company was a complete unknown in a niche market and its success was solely due to affiliates promoting the company and a close working relationship with the team assigned to work with affiliates.

When that team was disbanded, the affiliate scheme went from highly successful to absolutely dire.

Now they once again wish to enter the affiliate market (not surprising as they have suffered without the promotion by affiliates) . It is surmised they'll go indie but you never know if an unscrupulous network may decide to sign them up.

Most UK networks won't touch them with a barge pole. The purpose of the thread is to give US affiliates a heads up on what the CEO personally thinks about you....the affiliate, which he was happy to declare publicly in a business weekly journal in the UK. He has not sought to clarify his remarks, he has never apologised to those he insulted in the past and many people, whether they promoted the company or not, want nothing to do with them.

Some people say forgive and forget. The majority say let 'em crash and burn.

So there's your heads up. If you do business with them that's your choice. People this side of the pond just don't want you to go into things without a bit of background first.
    Flambi Media Limited - USA/UK/EU Affiliate Management Expertise

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    It came across to me as a blue blood comment. If they are some huge and so imporant then they can pay high priced ad agencies to advertise their program. They don't need grubby little affiliates doing thier bidding. I tried to view that first article and they require a paid subscription.

I've never heard of ASOS until this whole thing bombarded BUMPzee.

Obviously I don't need them as much as they don't need my grubby little ass.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

I was looking for merchants last week and came upon a UK affiliate network that asks for a fee (non-refundable) from prospective affiliates before they are let into the network.
    This merchant and that network would make a perfect fit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast