Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My coupons has MY coupons posted....
    I see some of MY exclusive coupons... How about you?

What a sad state the affiliate marketing community is in when affiliates steal codes from other affiliates to try to turn a buck. Merchants are happy to give exclusive codes, why not ask for your own rather than sliming around and stealing from other hard working affiliates?

There are 100's of pages of exclusive codes on this site, here is ONE of the pages loaded with MY coupons... By the way we have their "service oriented" crawler blocked....

mycoupons.com/searchCode.html?orderBy=code&direction=ASC&perPage=25&page=169

34 exclusives....

To find yours, just change the page number at the end until you find all of yours listed in abc order!
    Last edited by MichaelColey; March 8th, 2007 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Let's not give them backlinks

Gee, don't you know they are doing you a favor?
    Thought they said when they took other site's coupons they were going to also use their affiliate url. Guess they lied. No, they would never do that would they?

I see they have mine too:

mycoupons.com/searchCode.html?filter=&memberMerchant_id=1204&submit=Find+Codes

mycoupons.com/searchCode.html?filter=&memberMerchant_id=215&submit=Find+Codes

mycoupons.com/searchCode.html?filter=&memberMerchant_id=15&submit=Find+Codes

and many many more...
    Last edited by MichaelColey; March 8th, 2007 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Removed Backlinks

mycoupons.com/searchCode.html?orderBy=code&direction=ASC&perPage=25&page=241
    Last edited by MichaelColey; March 8th, 2007 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Removed Backlinks

It happened all the time when I was at CMNN/Perfume.com. We'd create a custom coupon code for an active affiliate and then it would show up somewhere else!
    [B]geofferson marcy[/B]
    [I]affiliate manager[/I]
    [URL=http://www.advaliant.com]www.advaliant.com[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.dna11.com]www.dna11.com[/URL]

The easiest way for merchants to stop that is to make exclusive coupons "truly exclusive" by having them track to the affiliate it was given to, no matter where the coupon is used. It won't totally stop it, but it'll cut it way back and the affiliates whose exclusive codes are stolen won't care quite as much.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Outsourced Program Manager tmartini's Avatar
    They've got a ton of mine. I've said it before, the only way to stop this is to have the merchants track the exclusive codes separately so we get credit no matter where the order is placed from.

-- Todd
    Todd Martini
    Digital Marketing Manager
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

I am sure if we were taking something that was theirs we would be seeing a cease and desist and be threatened with a lawsuit.

deleted

Obviously, they are not profiting from it; merchant links are not affiliate links. Also, the coupon codes seemed to be posted by the users, not the MyCoupons. However, "user-generated-content-copyright-infringement" applies here. The exclusive coupons are, in fact, a content you've 'created' and belongs to you. By posting it elsewhere the poster is violating your copyright. The publisher is doing same thing by allowing it.

Crediting exclusive coupon sales to the owner of coupon is not a merchant mechanism, unless they do it manually, but should be put in place by the networks.

If you're a coupon affiliate it just doesn't make sense post someonelse's exclusives.

Im just currious what do affiliate's think about mycoupons letting any affiliate post coupon links? Do you think the good would out weight the bad? The good being a place to advertise your coupons, the bad creating a marketplace where places like retailmenot can go and scam all the coupon codes.

ANy thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    It won't totally stop it, but it'll cut it way back and the affiliates whose exclusive codes are stolen won't care quite as much.
    How will that not stop it all together? If the coupons are truly exclusive then nobody would scam em, because the scammer would not make any money

I think it is a good idea, if possible

Affiliate Manager
    I dont really understand he mycoupons site? Is it just another coupon site or is there more to it?

Claiming a copyright on a coupon code is, as far as I know, an untested legal method. I argued "copyright infringement" about a site who copied my exclusive coupon codes (as well as the full text of one general page and several design aspects) and they argued that it was the merchant who owned the coupon codes, not me. They removed the full page of text they had "inadvertently" copied, but left everything else. A number of merchants I contacted terminated them. DomainsByProxy terminated them when they didn't respond. Their host suspended them for two weeks, but reinstated them when I didn't file a lawsuit. None of the networks took action.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Bay
    Crediting exclusive coupon sales to the owner of coupon is not a merchant mechanism, unless they do it manually, but should be put in place by the networks.
    A merchant can automatically credit exclusive coupon codes to the proper affiliate. It has to be done by the merchant (not the network) because the network doesn't usually know what coupon code is used or who it was issued to. Here's basically how the merchant would do it:

1) If they are a "batch" merchant (LinkShare and some CJ) who does the tracking on their own end, they just need to set/override the affiliate ID during checkout if an exclusive code is used.

2) If they are a "real-time tracking pixel on confirmation page" merchant (SAS, most CJ, etc.), they need to supress the tracking pixel and use an alternative method of posting the sale during checkout if an exclusive coupon code is used. I know that SAS has instructions available for merchants who request it.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by sthbodyjewelry
    I dont really understand he mycoupons site? Is it just another coupon site or is there more to it?

Well my coupons use to be a ppc site for merchants wanting to place their coupons, now rumor has it they are getting rid of the ppc and work on a Pay per Action. (I guess like a affiliate network) However now they have a bot that will goto your site and scrape your coupons keeping your link URL in place, so you get credit for the sale. In addition they allow users to signup and place coupons at will.

Hope this helps,

Quote Originally Posted by netnow22
    How will that not stop it all together? If the coupons are truly exclusive then nobody would scam em, because the scammer would not make any money
    If it's user-generated content (i.e. forums), the site owner might not know or care. Many sites don't care if they don't make money on everything, as long as it helps increase traffic. I know that many coupon sites heavily promote brick and mortar (as well as online) Black Friday promotions for that very reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by sthbodyjewelry
    It's not a typical coupon site and probably not even a typical affiliate site. I think they charge merchants per click and possibly a slotting fee.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Affiliate Manager
    Good find....all AC Lens exclusives and non-authorized coupon codes have been removed.

Thanks!!

Bob

Affiliate Manager PingoPrepaidCallingCards's Avatar
    exclusive coupon bandit
    Affiliate marketing is about building partnerships and I feel exclusive coupons should be earned for your hard work.

You might want to ask merchants to put the coupon in the link code to help control this.

sorry to all the true ethnical coupon sites owners that commented here.
    Brian Hawkins AM @ [URL=http://www.pingo.com/affiliate.do]Pingo[/URL] Earn up to $35 CPA for a [URL=http://www.pingo.com/p/onedollar/onedollar.html]$1 trial offer[/URL]!
    [URL=http://www.twitter.com/TelecomAgents]@TelecomAgents[/URL] [URL=http://www.twitter.com/telephonecard]@TelephoneCard[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Drumm
    Good find....all AC Lens exclusives and non-authorized coupon codes have been removed.

Thanks!!

Bob
    WOW thanks for your fast action

It is unfortunate we have to put it on merchants to create special linking systems or go after the affiliate directly.

It always seems like the people in the RIGHT always have to do backflips to stop the calamitous affiliates from stealing.

Quote Originally Posted by netnow22
    However now they have a bot that will goto your site and scrape your coupons keeping your link URL in place, so you get credit for the sale. In addition they allow users to signup and place coupons at will.

Hope this helps,
    None of my links or Connie's links have our affiliate links attached.

Many of us have our site names trademarked and if there is any legal ground here, they should not be posting trademarked terms without prior consent.
    Last edited by Anne; March 9th, 2007 at 09:39 PM.

Oh I Agree!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Anne
    None of my links or Connie's links have our affiliate links attached.

Many of us have our site names trademarked and if there is any legal ground here, they should not be posting trademarked terms without prior consent.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey

1) If they are a "batch" merchant (LinkShare and some CJ) who does the tracking on their own end, they just need to set/override the affiliate ID during checkout if an exclusive code is used.

2) If they are a "real-time tracking pixel on confirmation page" merchant (SAS, most CJ, etc.), they need to supress the tracking pixel and use an alternative method of posting the sale during checkout if an exclusive coupon code is used. I know that SAS has instructions available for merchants who request it.
    Supressing the tracking pixel is never a good idea! There are already enough variables in the trust chain so it would complicate things further.

Merchant issues an exclusive code and add it to affiliate's account in the network interface. When the tracking pixel read that information from the shopping cart, it ignores referrer's URL and credits the sale exclusive coupon owner.

That simple.

A can of worms.

Let's say an affiliate refers a customer, the customer decides to buy, has the billing info all filled out, and the comes across the "do you have a coupon code to apply for a discount?" field in the checkout form.

So they go to an SE and search for "merchantname coupon code", and they stumble across a post on some random forum or blog where Joe Blow is saying "hey I found this coupon for a discount at merchantname.com - if you buy stuff there use code XXXX to save some money!"

Now the referring affiliate gets screwed?
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Quote Originally Posted by davidh
    A can of worms.

Let's say an affiliate refers a customer, the customer decides to buy, has the billing info all filled out, and the comes across the "do you have a coupon code to apply for a discount?" field in the checkout form.

So they go to an SE and search for "merchantname coupon code", and they stumble across a post on some random forum or blog where Joe Blow is saying "hey I found this coupon for a discount at merchantname.com - if you buy stuff there use code XXXX to save some money!"

Now the referring affiliate gets screwed?
    Well, that's pretty much how it is now. The last site to send the user to the store gets the commission on exclusive coupon embedded links. So whether it's some unique tracking coupon code or an embedded coupon link, it would credit the last site.
    (I'm not condoning or bashing this, just saying how it will attempt to keep the coupon theft to a minimum)

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I spoke with our programming department Friday and we are going to take a crack at programming exclusive affiliate coupon codes into the shopping cart. This would only work where we have control of the site, cart and affiliate program.

I will use this thread as a reference point. The goal is to give a specific coupon code to a single affiliate and track the data through the shopping cart, then merge it with the affiliate program data. We may have to tie it with an in-house program which we custom program. We have that talent and just expanded the programming department several times.

Feel free to call or have your developers call if you'd like some help getting it the implementation planned.

Let me know which merchants you set this up for, as truly exclusive coupons might move those merchants up to the top of my "short list".
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast