was there a google revamp?
    Just wondering why overnight my rankings went from third position to absolutely nowhere. The site is indexed, in the directories and all. But the main keywords which kept it up top seem to have lost their magic. I checked the first four pages, and it's gone. And so is a lot of trafic.

Have they changed their system for rankings again?

ABW Ambassador
    Same here.

Me, too.
    ~Ernie

Affiliate Manager
    sales are down here over the last 2 days. I wonder if that has to do with it.

Don't know if this is related
    Rankings are still great over on MSN, Yahoo and the rest, but Google seems to have fallen out of the sky.

Now I've been checking the stats, and noticed that a number of X-rated sites referred visitors to me, which is very strange, since my site deals with hebrew music. Nothing even remotely off-color.

Add that to the fact that about a month ago, my links paged was hacked to automatically redirect to an x-rated site as well. I had to disable the outbound link exchange page. I'm wondering if that's connected, or is this still a Google thing?

Thoughts and experiences from you all are appreciated.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Except for my pages listed in DMOZ it would appear that Google has kicked me to the curb, too. This happens every once in a while and I always get my traffic back within a couple of weeks. In the meantime Yahoo, MSN and the folks who find me through content directories are showing up in droves.

Chance for an interesting experiment. Since your sites dropped, sign up for Google Checkout and see if it changes.

ABW Ambassador
    That doesn't quite work with affiliate sites

Oh Boy! I like whatever they did. I'm back in number one spot for my main keywords.

Just pretend you're going to start selling stuff.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    As for G, meh...selling stuff hasn't made them buy me any Millers (although I'm not using Google Checkout). ABW continues to outrank me I think I'll start putting asterisks in anything I mention related to GoodBulbs that could be seen as a keyword...

Now I've been checking the stats, and noticed that a number of X-rated sites referred visitors to me, which is very strange, since my site deals with hebrew music. Nothing even remotely off-color.
    It's probably just referrer spam. The spammers send out bots to hit your site and make it look like they were referred by whatever site they're trying to promote.

The hopes are that 1) Your referrer file will get picked up by engines and count as links in to them (some stat-monitoring programs have spiderable results pages), and 2) That you'll get curious and look at their lameola site.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread