Change Domain Name???? Need Help Please.
    Hi Folks,

As I stated in my intro I made a mistake, dumb as it might be, in naming one of my domains. (Site #1)

The domain name has nothing to do with the domain, and is long and cumbersome. So I know I need to change it.

My question is. With this web host I have more than enough space. Should I just apply for a new relevent domain name and make it a subdomain? (Not sure how that is done, but have read that is one way)

Or should I apply for a new domain name and open a whole new hosting site?
    I really messed up big time on this. This nich #1, I love but the other site nich #2 is far easier for me as far as content and getting visitors.

But I do want to say my other site #2 is named perfect for the site content. Just not much as far as affiliate programs that go with it. So I don't know how I will make any money on it. But site #2 is far easier to get visitors to come.)

So here is the first of many questions from me. Any help would be appreciated.

I am going to back up and start at step one and work my way thur, one step at a time. I am going to weigh the imput you all have to give and go from there.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
    LindaLS

Why don't you just register a new short and catchy domain name and have it point to the existing content that you already have? There is no need to over complicate.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Sounds good, but how?
    I sure like that idea a whole lot better, I really believe in KISS, (Keep it simple stupid)
    But must admit I have no idea how to do what you said.
    (domain name and have it point to the existing content)
    How do I make it point to my existing content?
    Thanks
    LindaLS

You are in, or you are out ... choose!
    Question
    >new short and catchy domain name and have it point to the existing content

Haiko, are you suggesting having the two domains pointing to the same content? This could lead to duplication issues down the track.
    [url=http://www.dWoz.com/][b]dWoz[/b][/url] - serious webmaster tools & resources.

Just don't register it with GoDaddy. You will find your site there one day and not the next... or if it is there, it will take 5 minutes to load... or just half of it will load... or whatever the mystery of the day is...

Linda,

What web host are you on?

You can "park" one domain on top of the other with most webhosts, which will make both domains behave identically.

Joe

A 301 redirect is one way people use to change their domain name (keeping same content)

http://www.marketposition.com/blog/a...eling_the.html

Be aware that if you use this method theres a good chance the MSN search will permanently 'lose' your website.

A 301 redirect is indeed the way to go. It tells the search engines that site a has been permanently moved to site b. Other methods are frowned upon, but a 301 is fine precisely because it does not mask the relationship between the two sites.

I am using dot5 web hosting.
    (Be aware that if you use this method theres a good chance the MSN search will permanently 'lose' your website.)

Does that mean both sites. the new site and the old site will be lost?

Linda

Quote Originally Posted by Woz
    Haiko, are you suggesting having the two domains pointing to the same content? This could lead to duplication issues down the track.
    Of course not Woz, I understood it as she was going to be dropping the first domain and she wanted to know how to 'do' the new domain, ie subdomain as she suggested. Duplicate content, of course, is a definite no no.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

You can also run multiple domains off one hosting account. I did this for a while with iPower until I upgraded to dedicated hosting.

Basically, Domain 1 was my main domain. Then I had a folder in Domain 1 that contained all the files for Domain 2. I had them point Domain 2's URL to that folder inside my hosting package. I was able to run 3 seperate domains from one hosting package this way. Talk to your host about pointing your domain to a specific folder, they should be able to help you out.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Quote Originally Posted by LindaLS
    I am using dot5 web hosting.
    (Be aware that if you use this method theres a good chance the MSN search will permanently 'lose' your website.)

Does that mean both sites. the new site and the old site will be lost?

Linda
    Nope. Just the old one. But it should get quickly replaced in the indexes by the new one.

If you are using a decent host they should be able to change the DNS (Domain Name Settings) settings of a newly registered domain. If they allow this DNS management then I would register a new snappy domain. Then ask your host to point the www record of your new domain to the IP address (or name) of the server hosting your existing website. This new A record or 'alias' will effectively be redirected to your existing website. - This way you would negate the risk of search engines 'losing' your site by using a 301 redirect.

Sorry if it's a bit technical but a decent hosting company should be able to do this for you if they offer DNS management as a service.

Linda,

How many pages do you have and how long have they been up? Do you have any good SERP listings or are you just getting started with everything?

as mentioned by a few 301's are the key to protecting any page rank you've built up and the best way to establish a new domain, but you need the new domain built before you can put those in place. You can register a new domain with your favorite registrar like network solutions or godaddy and be ready to register when you do the search as there has been talk of domain name snatching for people that did not register on the spot. Use one of the six domains dot5 allows and use the redirects in the settings section to put the 301's in place for each and every page in the domain. (If the site is new I'd just 301 the index and rebuild everything on the new domain and burn everything on the old, leaving the account in place for a few months before dumping it all together. Ask dot5 if you can change the domain name in the domain forever offer)

BTW what do you think of dot5 sofar? how is the uptime, speed of page delivery and support? looks like they are just reselling (or should i say overselling ....2000 GB transfer yeah right) ipowerweb space

><><><><><><><
    Sim the 301 tells the bots that the site has been permanently been moved...it's not lost at all MSN just listens well ;-)

assist.com>>> sounds like your issue is hosting related...are you hosting with godaddy or just using them as a registrar?

You are in, or you are out ... choose!
    >Haiko, are you suggesting ...

>Of course not ...

K, didn't think you would but just checking.
    [url=http://www.dWoz.com/][b]dWoz[/b][/url] - serious webmaster tools & resources.

Thanks to all for your advice. Ok what I did was just ask dot5 to change my domain name. I lost all my original site but really no great lost as I am just begining and didn't have much to brag about anyway.
    Dot5 seems to be great, but this is from a real newbie so take that for what it is worth. I must say dot5 always responds quickly when I have a problem and I have never seen down time.
    LindaLS

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread