Google AdSense versus Fair Ads Network?
    Has anyone had experience with Fair Ads Network? I received an email from a mailing list that pointed me toward them, and spent some time looking at the information on the website.

I'm currently revamping my website to really highlight the content / article information, and I've been thinking about adding Ads. I'm torn, because when I go looking for information and articles the Google Ads in my face and the middle of the article really annoy me. Oftentimes, they don't even relate to the article I'm reading - and I really don't want that on my own site.

But I still would like to find more ways to monetize my site - and some of the practises sound intriguing - like letting you combine both and advertiser and publisher account, being able to control and block not only categories but also domains and advertisers if you don't want them on your site, etc.

The software I'm using for my site integrates in easily with Adsense, so if I go another direction there's a lot more coding and work in it.

Before I make a decision, I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on both a.) FairAdsNetwork and b.) overall success or pitfalls with using Adsense on a content site.

FAN has a pretty well written FAQ on their site as well as their Terms of Service, so I'd be interesting in hearing some feedback from those with more experience than me. :-)

ABW Ambassador
    I would go with the one that was started last year by a 23 year old part-time owner... yeah, sure, thats what i would do.

Hi, I'm the 23 y-o who started this thing last year and doing it part time.

Thanks for the sarcasm and mockery, chetf, but if age was an issue, perhaps we should not have gone with Bill Gates back then, huh? Some major corporations started out of people's kitchen and even basement. Perhaps I am not allowed that luxery, right? Thanks again for your thoughtfuln wisdom.

ABW Ambassador
    when I go looking for information and articles the Google Ads in my face and the middle of the article really annoy me.
    That is 100% up to how the webmaster designs the pages and places the ad units.

Oftentimes, they don't even relate to the article I'm reading
    So webmasters have to optimize their sites/pages for attracting targeted adverts. There's an algo involved that isn''t impossible to figure out to some extent and improve targeting a lot.

http and a telephoto
    Do you want to have lots of relevant ads or some ads from a newb that no one knows about? That's the bottom line really for any advertising you give space to on your website. Do you use something established and proven or new and different that may or may not be around in a few months and may or may not have advertisers that fit your site?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

What I love is the sheer coincidence and happenstance of a 16 post newbie comparing Adsense to FAN and through the miracles of the internet - *poof* the owner of FAN shows up ... shoot, if I had that kinda luck I'd be playing the Megamillions, to hell with all this extraneous and superfluous marketing stuff.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    What I love is the sheer coincidence and happenstance of a 16 post newbie comparing Adsense to FAN and through the miracles of the internet - *poof* the owner of FAN shows up ... shoot, if I had that kinda luck I'd be playing the Megamillions, to hell with all this extraneous and superfluous marketing stuff.
    Yeah, that too

Oh and for the answer to your question about success with AdSense, just search here a bit. Many of the affiliate here are making very good income from AdSense and aren't about to jump to other established ad services, let alone one from someone "doing this part time".
    Deborah Carney

ABW Ambassador
    Exactly Haiko. Guess we got really, really lucky since he only has time to run his adsense killer part-time and some of that part time is busy spamming forums...

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    What I love is the sheer coincidence and happenstance of a 16 post newbie comparing Adsense to FAN and through the miracles of the internet - *poof* the owner of FAN shows up
    If I didn't know any better Jr., I'd construe you post as a cleverly constructed commentary designed to imply that the thread starter and FAN owner are somehow linked?? Get outta town!! No way....
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Well, since I was the "thread starter" I guess I now have to defend myself. I merely asked a question, as after reading lots of stuff here in the forum I thought just maybe someone with experience would give me some tips.

I don't know the owner of FAN, sorry - nor am I affiliated. What I am is a 40 year old woman trying to find her way in a new business that can be confusing as all get out. There is so much to learn, so much contradictory information and yes, out right scams. I'm not sure you can understand, but this is very scary to me when I'm just starting out and trying not to make catastrophic, costly mistakes.

Only 16 posts - yep, that's probably me. I don't like to post a lot because I seem to get "jumped" whenever I do...

I realize most of you have been at this for a long time, and sometimes the questions from us newbies seem so obviously and stupid to you - but I came here and joined the forum because of all the experience I saw in the various posts from people. I was kind of hoping you'd be willing to share some advice from time to time with those of us desperately trying to figure it out.

I try to read everything I can find relating to an area I have a question in before I post - but I apologize if I somehow erred here. I'll go back to silently lurking again...

My apologies for wasting your time....

ABW Ambassador
    bghouse, it isn't so much wasting time as we see this stuff all the time. When you look at Fair Ads Network and read their about page - do you really think they are an adsense killer? Do you think their site and your own questions answer your question? Don't doubt yourself.

Here is a pretty good rule of thumb.

If someone with one post - posts it. If it is mentioned in a newsletter. If a guru suggestions it. It is Bullsh*t.

Really good things just don't fly that low under the radar, so there would be natural discussion on it - not just paid discussion. There may be ways of doing things, ways of approaching a problem etc that are not widespread, but if a company is actually solid and producing - the chance no one else is using them is pretty damn small - especially a company in the PPC arena that needs high volume to make their money.

Okay, so I get bashed for caring about how my site is doing in the search engines? I wanted to see where my business has been mentioned and what is being said so I happened to find this post. Doing a search for keywords was what brought me here.

I don't need to defend myself, but I must say, you are all speaking out of ignorance. Don't take that the wrong way, look it up in the dictionary and you'll know it's not meant for offensive use. Anyway, just because I responded to chetf's comment, I'm all of a sudden a spammer and even the same person that posted. Wow - great job Sherlock Holmes. You've solved the case. I guess we can rest easy at night now.

I'll keep my about page exactly as is despite what you all say because I'd rather keep it real and true. There is no reason to hide behind a bunch of lies. If we really are destined to be doomed we would not be partnered with multi-million dollar companies, nor would we be making deals with one of the oldest and well-known webmaster resource provider (one I'm sure each of you know of or even used).

But hey, we'll be gone in a few months, right? Don't worry about us ;-). Thanks for all the concern.

http and a telephoto
    Way to make friends here netdebut... guess you don't care about pissing off the very core of affiliate you should be wanting to impress.

Communication is key in building a business.... you can make all the deals you want, but if you aren't on websites advertisers won't stick around. And if you don't have advertisers, well, then affiliates won't use you...

And have fun busting Google... you have a long way to go to get even close...
    Deborah Carney

Debbie, look at the way you and the others were talking about me. How fair is that?

I am ready to start over if any of you are but you have to admit that I wasn't even given a chance, right? You guys already decided on FIRST glance that I was a spammer that started the thread and that I'd be gone in a few months.

Look, I'm forgetting the whole thing.

Can we start over here?

The reason I even started FAN was because my AdSense account got closed while I was deployed out at sea. It makes me wonder how I did anything wrong when I was out there with no Internet access. When I asked their customer support why my account got closed all they told me was that I violated their policy. Because of that I wanted a contextual advertising company to treat their members with more fairness.

Just look through my site with an open mind rather than expecting every new company to fail or to take your money and run. I know I'm young and doing this part time, but I'll have my wife help me run the business and as we get larger I already have people waiting to become my staff.

If I wasn't serious about this, I would not have my own LLC company (having my own company seal is pretty cool) and business bank account. Not everyday people take the chance in doing this. And as far as having advertisers, I am not worried about that because I do have a lot of members registered for advertising as their primary purposes. Thanks for your time. Take care.

netdebut, the only way to win over forum members is to take their comments with grace and humility... with maybe a touch of humor as well.

Getting defensive after the first challenge is a sure-fire way to turn everyone off.

A well-handled dialogue after being "jumped" earns my respect, but a defensive spouting off makes me look elsewhere. And saying "can we start over" after you put in your last word just doesn't cut it for me either.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Not even Yahoo nor MSN can put together a decent alternative to Adsense. Good luck to you.

I have tried other alternatives and they all have served up very poor ads to my site. Yahoo is still in Beta and they won't let me in.

Yes, I welcome an alternative to Adsense, even though I am completely satisfied with them right now. But, what if the bottom falls out? I sure would like a good alternative to turn to.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the reminder and I'm sorry if it doesn't cut it, but that's all I can do at this point. I'm afraid you'll have to take it or leave it and I respect your decision in either case.

Cheesecake, I hope you'll continue to be satisfied with them. However, I do hope to meet your expectations when you do intend to give us a try.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by netdebut
    Hi Rick,

Cheesecake, I hope you'll continue to be satisfied with them. However, I do hope to meet your expectations when you do intend to give us a try.
    Sure thing nuttybutt
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    Search on his name in google, you can see his posts where just learns about PPC/adsense this year and clearly has no idea about fraud - look for his reason on starting the program as well...

Yeah, I really want to rely on the guy who wasn't able to keep his adsense account in good standing, just think of the quality publishers he is looking to grab - Have you been kicked out of yahoo. Have you been kicked out of MSN. Blah blah blah, all the cream of the crop.... advertisers should flock to him and throw money...

Talking
    What I'd like to know, Haiko, is how posts in ABW show up in keyword search results in less than 22 hours. That's gotta be a record!

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread