ABW Ambassador
    Basic EMail - you send:

You have been targeted and affiliates just like me are going to be pulling your links in mass so don't be surprised when your internet sales decline measurably.

We are pulling your links due to your association with scumware like Morpheus that steals the commissions from affiliates sending traffic to your site.

If you choose to drop Morpheus and get more involved with your affiliates, I will again promote you on my site but not until that
    time.

-- John Doe --
    www.abc.com

Now for a start of a boycot:

*) Flowers - GoCollect isn't on either list and 1-800-flowers, FTD, GreatFlowers, and likely others are on the list.

I suggest we promote GoCollect who has a 12% commish isn't on the gator or morpheus list, and even has a forum here. This seems like a no brainer to me.

I say we target
    1) FTD - send email to affiliates@ftdi.com 6%
    2) 1-800-flowers affiliate@1800flowers.com 8%
    3) GreatFlowers Dont know squat about these folks

Go ahead and feel free to promote any other
    flower company (to keep your material for se placement) but pull FTD and send them the email above. It's not necessary we make an example out of all companies that deal with parasites (we can't) but if we make our point with one merchant at a time effectively we can likely make a difference and win a step at a time.

If you can pull more than one great: Myself, I'm pulling all flower links but go collect and will be doing a big spread on them. Thanks Go team!

This seems like a real no brainer folks. The highest commission rate and they aren't associated with thieving scumware.

Now Heidi might have a complaint about payments and missing transactions but perhaps, we can get Lou or Laura to answer and get these problems corrected. At least we have a better chance with them.

It's a very small step indeed but it is a first step and serves as an example that we need to share our analysis. We can not only benefit from being loyal to companies that deserve loyalty, we get to make an example out of someone too. Unless we help ourselves, nobody else sure isn't.

I'd call this a great start. I invite each and every one of you to do some of this simple analysis and share it with the group here. These companies didnt give me a heads up that they were partnering with thieves and I don't plan on giving them a chance to tell me that they didn't know.

A call for action is in order and the only action I'll support is an affermation by merchants to a no parasite policy.

If each one of us made recommendations like this, it shouldn't be to hard on any one of us and we start making our stance known.

All Aboard

On a side note, I'm also replacing my links from collectibles today (performics) and will be putting up links for GoCollect there too. I'm sending them a message I'm removing their links too.

[This message was edited by happypoon on September 25, 2002 at 08:47 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You have been targeted and affiliates just like me are going to be pulling your links in mass so don't be surprised when your internet sales decline measurably.

We are pulling your links due to your association with scumware like Morpheus that steals the commissions from affiliates sending traffic to your site.

If you choose to drop Morpheus and get more involved with your affiliates, I will again promote you on my site but not until that
    time.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Please don't take this the wrong way. I applaud and agree with your efforts, but I don't think that letter sounds "professional" enough to send to your average merchant. my 2c.

ABW Ambassador
    I like your spirit but I don't think there is enough unity in these forums and its members to get together enough to blow its nose, never mind blowing off the merchants who condone parasites.

The merchants don't care where their traffic comes from. The merchants love the parasites and NOTHING will ever be done but the blowing of hot wasted breath.........................

I agree with Joseph 100%.

Sending that kind of unprofessional message will just hurt the image of affiliates. I can't imagine that any affiliate manager reading it will take it seriously!

In fact, I'll go one step further and urge you NOT to send out the letter as you've drafted it. In it, you claim a consensus has been reached on action that will be taken against the merchant whereas in reality there is NO SUCH CONSENSUS!

So please don't go putting your words into any other affiliate's mouth by lumping us in with you. If you want to redraft your letter so that it A) reads more businesslike and B) only talks about what YOU PERSONALLY will do, then under those circumstances I think sending the letter would be fine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Edwin:
    I agree with Joseph 100%.

Sending that kind of unprofessional message will just hurt the image of affiliates. I can't imagine that any affiliate manager reading it will take it seriously!

In fact, I'll go one step further and urge you NOT to send out the letter as you've drafted it. In it, you claim a consensus has been reached on action that will be taken against the merchant whereas in reality there is NO SUCH CONSENSUS!

So please don't go putting your words into any other affiliate's mouth by lumping us in with you. If you want to redraft your letter so that it A) reads more businesslike and B) only talks about what YOU PERSONALLY will do, then under those circumstances I think sending the letter would be fine.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DITTO!

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

I agree that the above letter does not sound "professional" enough to be sent out to merchants, and I personally have been trying to think of a good letter to draft and send out to the many merchants I know that are associated with/use scumware and spyware.

If you were going to write a quick but informative letter to a business that currently is associated with/uses scumware and spyware, and you wanted to make it thoughtful and not "slamming" to the company (as they may honestly have no clue how bad scumware/spyware is or exactly what it does), what would you say? What quotes/links would you provide?

ABW Ambassador
    Mrslarak, check the first post in this thread - some people have found it helpful.

I'm the author, so I can say this: Feel free to borrow or adapt any or all of it, if you thought it would be of use in your own corresonpdence with merchants.

BTW, welcome to ABW! We're glad you're here!

Elisabeth Archambault

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> GreatFlowers Dont know squat about these folks <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They are the ROTTEN *^%&%('s who, two or three years ago, CLOSED their affiliate program the week before Valentine's Day (biggest flower day of the year)--and then reopened it the day after.

No excuse for this THEFT of affiliate pre-Valentine promotional efforts was given, and, of course, the deactivation killed all the cookies right before the orders would have been pouring in so it was a sorry Val's Day for affiliates of theirs.

I may be bad at remembering if it was "two, or three" years ago but I remember the EVENT like it was yesterday.

They are also the merchant that said my check was "lost in the mail"--twice in a row! Coincidentally-not, a check showed up after I got rather testy upon reading the excuse a second time...

May they rot. Needless to say, their links are already gone from my sites and have been since before the first scumware was even programmed.

But it does my heart good to be able to give them just a little bit of that "Valentine's Day cheer" back after all this time with this little tidbit:

affiliate@greatflowers.com

Oh--and they're at LS...

There is no knowledge that is not power.~~Ralph Waldo Emerson

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread