"Unclaimed Money" ads - Do people really believe it?!
    I just got an annoying pop-up window that redirected me to: http://www.cashunclaimed.com

What bull is that? Do people still buy into this whole "unclaimed money" scam or is this company living in the past? I randomly typed in a name and it said:

Money Search Results...

We located $47,715.20 which may belong to 'NAME-HERE'.

Order now for instant access to these records! You will receive an instant subscription to 30 full days of unlimited record searches. Plus, your purchase is backed by our 100% MoneyBack Guarantee!
    They even have an affiliate program! Now I see why I'm being spammed ... they pay 50% commission!!

I haven't seen that popup, but I did get $14 once that I didn't know I had but it was through a government (state) site.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Yeah, I believe this info can always be found at a (free) govt. site.

I got 1321.10 cents

from some dead relative i didnt even know I had.

SERIOUSLY?! Whoa I really thought this thing was a scam I didn't know there was such thing! At least not here in Malaysia...

I know four people who have had 'unclaimed funds" and gotten them ( though gov't legit sites though). Not me. I am not one to not KNOW about money owed to me, lol! I have always collected every dime!

ABW Ambassador
    http://www.missingmoney.com is free. There were two items for me a couple of years ago. They were incorrectly addressed. Got almost $200.

There are some businesses who have millions of dollars sitting in my state just waiting to be claimed.

This is the one we watch, and I was able to find money for my brother and MIL. LOL! NOT ME THOUGH, whaaaa!

http://www.unclaimed.org/mainframe.a...itorType=owner

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    http://www.missingmoney.com is free. There were two items for me a couple of years ago. They were incorrectly addressed. Got almost $200.

There are some businesses who have millions of dollars sitting in my state just waiting to be claimed.
    Just checked it out, it says I have under $100 from a gas company in Orlando from an apt. I lived at about 8 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Just checked it out, it says I have under $100 from a gas company in Orlando from an apt. I lived at about 8 years ago
    You know.. coming from a place that doesn't have such 'claims', I must say... THAT IS SO COOL! I wonder how much I'm owed!!

Some of them do work. I got back $900 in overpaid taxes on a leased car 4 years later.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    I am quite sure this niche is littered with cheating scumbags, BUT... my mom is a private eye in Florida and for years, she bought magnetic tapes from the us and state govts that contained lost money items associated with mortgages, mortgage insurance, insurance, class action settlements and estates. She tracked the people down, sent them a letter and asked for a cut if she told them where the money was located at and she recovered it for them. Once she told them where it was, they had the option to retrieve it themselves and cut her out of the deal. Only 5% of the people she found money for, cut her out. Was a great business and completely legit. Nobody she ever contacted knew they had the money coming and almost al of them were very, very skeptical - which is why she chose to tell them where the money was and give them the option to cut her out of the deal. Every great once in a while, something that sounds too good, isn't. Cheaters leverage that fact, which stinks, but that's the way confidence (con) scams work - air of legitimacy is needed to dupe people. Proceed with caution of any of these unclaimed money deals.

ABW Ambassador
    I'm sure most states offer this service for free... I know CA does! This reminds me, I need to send in my info for the $200+ from some old medical bill...
    Hi, I'm a signature.

Hello Snowman,
    Thanks for posting that URL. For giggles I did a lookup for my name and low & behold my name and a former address I lived at for years was listed. It turns out that an elderly gentleman neighbor I assisted with yard tasks, etc. has left me something in his will (he died after I moved away). I have contacted the State unclaimed properties telephone # and they are sending me documentation to fill out.

I would never have thought about looking into this type of thing had it not been for this thread.... thanks Jaguarpolar
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Grumble Grumble Grumble...No pot of gold for me. LoL

Glad that it turned out well for you DesignerWiz.

Quote Originally Posted by DesignerWiz
    Hello Snowman,
    Thanks for posting that URL. For giggles I did a lookup for my name and low & behold my name and a former address I lived at for years was listed. It turns out that an elderly gentleman neighbor I assisted with yard tasks, etc. has left me something in his will (he died after I moved away). I have contacted the State unclaimed properties telephone # and they are sending me documentation to fill out.

I would never have thought about looking into this type of thing had it not been for this thread.... thanks Jaguarpolar

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread