View Poll Results: When choosing a merchant that runs on two networks , whats your top deciding factor?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trust

16 53.33%
  • Better tools and technology

7 23.33%
  • Better commercials (Higher Commissions)

3 10.00%
  • Experienced staff

0 0%
  • The fact your biggest overall check comes from a certain network

4 13.33%
  • Size of network

0 0%

Thread: When choosing a merchant on two networks , whats your top deciding factor?

Affiliate Network Rep
    When choosing a merchant on two networks , whats your top deciding factor?
    Hey all

Just wanted to drop a poll out there to get an idea of affiliate opinion on the subject of merchants with more than one program out there on networks.

If you have a choice to make what is the single most important factor to you out of the choices available in deciding to put links up through one network over another?

Thanks in advance and feel free to add comment in the thread if you want to justify or expand on the reasons for your choice.

Thanks

Mal
    Malcolm Cowley
    Advertising.com's buy.at affiliate network
    malcolm.cowley@buy.at
    buyat.com

Ticketmaster has Beta launched their affiliate program with buy.at - be one of the first to join now!

Simple for me its Trust as in I trust the network to track my commisions. Actually I try to stay away from programs running on two networks.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

I'd suggest adding higher commissions to the poll, as this is also a major impetus.

I or a mod can do it if you want.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Affiliate Network Rep
    Hi Haiko

The better commercials part covers comms in my mind but if you think its better to break it out and give it its own slot by all means

Thanks

Mal
    Malcolm Cowley
    malcolm.cowley@buy.at
    buyat.com

Ticketmaster has Beta launched their affiliate program with buy.at - be one of the first to join now!

That's what that meant, I didn't understand the relevance of their media campaigns when it came to networks. I've clarified it in the poll options
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

http and a telephoto
    Yup, trust is number 1. You expect tools and experienced staff. Higher commissions work if all other factors are equal. Size of network is usually unimportant. The bigger checks are because all the other factors line up, and you trust them enough to use them on a big chunk of your web real estate.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I would have a really hard time saying one particular thing, because there are so many different things that could make a difference.

Trust would normally be a major deciding factor for me, but the fact that the hypothetical merchant is on two networks totally negates that. They can be totally clean on one network and horribly infested by parasites on another, and the parasites on the dirty network will be able to steal from affiliates on the clean network.

Commissions would be the next biggest factor, and since Trust is no longer an issue (because they're on two networks), this now becomes my number one determination. Commissions seldom vary from network to network, though, with most merchants. Even if network fees are smaller, most merchants don't pass that savings on. For instance, when Mport offered $0 network fees, the merchants I looked at there were paying the same as they paid on other networks. There are many other commission-related factors besides the commission percent, so there's a difference even if the commissions are the same. Is Direct Deposit available? When do they pay? Are merchants required to maintain an escrow account? Does the network pay even if the merchant doesn't? Does the network offer consolidated payments and do I already work with other merchants through the network?

Next, to me, would be the tools provided. Sometimes, this could trump trust or commissions, as well. For instance, if I absolutely must have deep linking but one network didn't provide it, I would have to use the other even if I didn't trust them or the commissions were lower. (This has happened a couple times, although I fault the merchant more than the network in those cases because the merchant just didn't provide deep links through the network and said I needed to join their in-house program to get them.) Does the network offer a coupon/deal database, and how good is the quality of that database?

There's a myriad of other factors, and I usually weigh things out. It's possible that a bunch of little things would accumulate and override a small difference in a more important factor. In practice, however, it's never a difficult choice. The best network usually wins on all factors: trust, commissions, technology, etc.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

When choosing a merchant that runs on two networks , whats your top deciding factor?
    When choosing a merchant that runs on two networks, I used to go with Trust first, but since trust has to be build, I no longer trust everyone from the get-go with blind faith, like I used to do.

I voted for Better tools and technology, but after what I just went through in the last few weeks, I will also going to make sure, that the next time that I join any new merchant on any network, that if they have a program on more than one network, that whatever program it's, that if something goes wrong with that program, that at least I be able to swap the links to another competing merchant on the same vertical.

I'm not going to go through the long hassle of building a nice natural search placement for any merchant again, if I can't have backup merchant, or at least be able to find, a backup similar merchant for the same vertical on a moment notice.

Btw, as long as I get paid for my work, I have no problem with merchants having their program on more than one network, as a matter of fact, I like it when I can find a merchant on a network I like, even if they are also on another network that I don't work with, but as soon as I notice any BS with my commissions, I sure will be looking for a replacement.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I would have a really hard time saying one particular thing, because there are so many different things that could make a difference.

Trust would normally be a major deciding factor for me, but the fact that the hypothetical merchant is on two networks totally negates that. They can be totally clean on one network and horribly infested by parasites on another, and the parasites on the dirty network will be able to steal from affiliates on the clean network.
    I completely agree here.

And for me, the decision isn't which one to choose (when they're on more than one network), but to choose to work with them at all. If the other networks are crapola, then the cleanliness and trust factors are moot.

If I feel I absolutely must work with a merchant on more than one network, I will participate in the cleaner one regardless of it's affect on my margins - I don't want to put money into the cheating networks hands. Thieving affiliate partners will steal the same amounts regardless of which network I am on, so I choose the clean one (trust) so that my volume and my commissions aid the clean network. I will not trade off some marginal difference and go with the higher paying network if they are the issue - it does nothing to further the cause of cleanliness.

I don't particularly trust any network in general.
    Ease of use/tools is very important to me.
    I don't use feeds, I search for individual product links with pictures --that's what I am interested in using -- and I want the product (pic), not just a text link or banner (although I do use those as well).
    If Merchant A has the same program on Networks I & II (and I "belong"/have "accounts" at both) I might try a product from I and a product from II to see if I am more likely to earn a commission with one or the other.
    As for trust, each network will have a good looking, smooth talking frontman or frontwoman who will say that the represented network is the best thing since sliced bread and that the integrity and values are of "L'il Bo Peep" purity & quality.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    For me it's more a matter of choosing a merchant than a network.

It's rare for any merchant to have products that are truly unique so what's most important is that the merchant is trustworthy. Secondarily the network must be trustworthy. For me it's really about trust first and everything else comes after.

Would someone please define "trustworthy" -- I'm not sure I know.
    Is the merchant/AM or network who can sweet talk the best the trustworthy one?
    Last edited by Rhia7; March 10th, 2007 at 02:53 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Would please someone define "trustworthy" -- I'm not sure I know.
    Is the merchant/AM or network who can sweet talk the best the trustworthy one?
    You've spent enough time on ABW that you should know, by now, how to distinguish between sweet talkers and friendly/articulate merchants/AM's. If not, simply learn to rely on the outstanding body of knowledge contained in ABW.
    We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.
    ~Lynn Hall

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    The fact your biggest overall check comes from a certain network
    This.

But like Loxly said, the checks from a certain network are bigger because of a variety of other reasons. Bigger checks are a result, not a cause. And, several factors go into my preference of that network.

I will note that one of the big factors IS that in side-by-side tests, I often do better with one network than other ones. I've had merchants leave there and go somewhere else, and their performance immediately goes into the dumper despite no apparent changes (other than the links).

Access to a free datafeed is something I look for, so if they are available on two networks I use the network with the free datafeed.

Affiliate Network Rep
    Thumbs up
    Thanks for some excellent feedback everyone :-)

Mal
    Malcolm Cowley
    malcolm.cowley@buy.at
    buyat.com

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Mal,

You may want to start a separate poll - excluding shareasale - as we tend to put them in a category by themselves

I think your question is really about CJ vs Linkshare vs Performics, and if you leave out SAS in the question, you'll get a better view of how we feel

Affiliate Network Rep
    hehe I might post a poll like that once we have a few more companies on board Billy it will be good to see what the reaction is . Hopefully its a positive one but we got a long way to go first.

Small steps but we will get there in the right way which is the important part

I took a note on the candygrams to :-))

Mal
    Malcolm Cowley
    malcolm.cowley@buy.at
    buyat.com

Assuming that commission is the same, a proven track record with the tracking company/network is definitly the key factor that would sway who i sign up with.

Timing is another important factor - who gets the merchant first. I can be a creature of habit and would only switch links if the network really did something BAD (as one UK network has done - no matter what the program I am not going to do business with them again)

I have been an affiliate with buy.at (uk) for several years now and I see them as one of the most progressive and trustworthy networks that I have delt with.

20. Newsletter Signup