Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Outsourced Program Manager Angel Djambazov's Avatar
    Introducing PopShops.com
    Hi ABW

How this Started
    One day last summer I sat down, over , with a little dynamo named Jessie Jones, and she had this idea. She wanted to develop a more robust toolset to serve the affiliate industry and had already founded a widget familiar to the CafePress community named PrestoGifto. By that time Jessie and her engineer Dan Harms had already created an impressive product infrastructure when they invited me to join the team. We spent months designing and redesigning the UI, and we now have something that we are really proud of.

As those of you who tried our demo at the Affiliate Summit can attest to: PopShops offers some very exciting features and it is a team I am proud to be part of. So, allow me to introduce you to PopShops.com.

PopShops's Features
    The core tool PopShops provides is a dynamic showcase creator allowing affiliates to build a showcase with products from multiple merchants even if they are on different networks.
    • Search for products across multiple networks and merchants.
    • Personalize product descriptions and create custom styles with easy-to-use layout editors.
    • Improve SEO with search-and-replace to create fresh, valuable content within product descriptions.
    • Manage multiple affiliate IDs in one place with our Profile Manager.
    • Pop showcases into your site as JavaScript, PHP, ASP, XML or RSS2.
    • Tag products to create custom categories.

So What's The Cost?
    Basic PopShops is free. We do not take any of your clicks. At the PopShops Basic Level you can build up to 10 showcases with unlimited products. For our more advanced levels of service we charge a flat monthly subscription ranging from $5 to $30 a month. To compare our different plans click here.

About the Current Beta
    Although we are not "officially" live our product is functional in that you can currently create a showcase, pop it into your site and earn commissions on the items you featured. What is "not live" currently is some of our more advanced functionality which we are testing/modifying further in order to make sure they work correctly for users like you. Although many of those advanced tools can currently be used, we are not comfortable charging our users for them until all the bugs are worked out.

Try it Out
    Our full toolset is completely free during beta so it is a perfect time to
    try us out!

Thank you for welcoming us, we hope the tools we offer can help you with your business.
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews
    OPM for Keen Shoes and Graphicly.com

I spoke with the PopShops folks at the Summit and was impressed with each I spoke with.
    I didn't realize Angel was involved as well, that's really cool.

Welcome and congrats on the new forum!!
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

Outsourced Program Manager Angel Djambazov's Avatar
    Thanks for the welcome Popdawg. This officially keeps your streak alive by being the first to post in forums I have started on ABW.
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews
    OPM for Keen Shoes and Graphicly.com

http and a telephoto
    Yay!!! You finally announced Now go post in that other thread... lol

Welcome to ABW PopShops!!!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Excellent! Glad to see the continuing progress. Have an underwear site planned specifically for popshops use. Rock it Angel!

I don't know but, this sign on the door may make some people close the browser without even clicking on the "Sign up to peek or Learn more" links.

The PopShops sneak peek is a Firefox-only trial (of course, the shops you create work in all browsers). If you don't have FireFox, you can download it for free at mozilla.com/en-US/firefox or use this button:
    I have IE and I went inside, but that Firefox-only thing, may scare some people away.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    When I saw this, it more than peaked my interest. I went to PopShops and looked around, and after seeing your lists of merchants and reading (ok, skimming) your TOS, I signed up.

I then began to do a test shop, mimicing a section I aleady have on one of my sites, to see how it would compare.

While overall, I am impressed by the PopShops interface, its ease of use, and the features that are shown, I have found some bugs in just a few minutes:

In the style editor:

Any changes you make to an existing custom style will be applied immediately to all shops that currently use that style.
    So, If I do 9 shops in one style, and for a 10th shop, make some style changes, the first 9 will also change? This is not good.

Also, none of the features to change spacing, width, font, etc., are working, at least for me.

And, I do not see any way to change the border color. Can this not be done?

As to merchants, the following occurred. In your list of available SAS merchants, on of my most inportant merchants is listed. I have a couple of their products in the section referred to above. However, when I went through the list of merchants that came up as having products in this catagory, this merchant was not listed. I then tried a product catagory in which I have on another site over a hundred of this merchant's products, and again, they did not come up in the list for that product.

Finally, as to your merchant lists, while merchants that are important to me from CJ and SAS are at least listed (despite the problems described above), your LS list has, at least for my needs, very few of the merchants that are important to me (e. g. Homevisions, J&R, Overstock, Target, Walmart). Are there plans to expand the available merchant list, especially as to some of these names?

Overall, I am really excited about the possibilities that PopShops offers, and I am sure that it will take some time to iron out the bugs.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Hi everyone, I'm Jessie...just wanted to respond to some of the things I'm reading here.

First, I just want to say publicly that Angel rocks. He's creative, honest, ethical, and wonderful.

Second, I want to say, thanks for understanding when you encounter bugs. It's a little humbling coming out into the public eye at this stage, but we *can and will* incorporate your feedback into PopShops, so that's why we're doing this sneak peek.

Feel free to email me at jessie @ popshops.com if you want discuss a feature/bug/idea/problem...whatever.

And please let us know what browser version/OS you're working with if you report a bug.

Ok, here it goes:

Mr Sal,
    The "FireFox only" warning will be gone on our next build. Should be Monday or Tuesday. We're already IE friendly, just finishing up some testing so there might be a couple more bugs in IE. The storefronts ("shops") work on all browsers.

AffiliateHound,
    One thing that I can tell everyone here is that we will be overhauling our help text which is SORELY lacking in clarity. Also, a help system is in the works.

Styles are global. So, yes, if you do create a style called "Mr Sal Style 1", apply it to 10 shops, then change it for that 10th shop, all 10 will change. All you have to do is select "Mr Sal Style 1", click copy in the style editor, then rename it to Mr Sal Style 2" for that 10th shop. Then shop #10 will have a unique style and shops 1-9 will have that first style.

As for changing font, spacing...if you are clicking on a default style (one with a little lock icon by it) then that style is locked. Click copy, then you will be able to edit all those things. IF THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. It might be a browser issue. Please email me.
    (Personally, I hate the little lock thing. I'm going to work that out of the style editor at some point. I always trip on it myself.)

Mr Sal, could you ping me on email about your merchant product issue? I would like to get more details about that. (jessie @ popshops.com).

The answer to the merchant expansion question is oh yes, we are expanding. If there are particular merchants you would like to see I encourage you to email both us and them and we'll work on getting the ones ABW'ers want into the site first.

Can you tell up what features will be available in the future?

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Thanks for the invitation to participate in the beta test.

I'm playing with the software and I'd like to be able to view only SAS and independent merchants but I'm not sure how to do this. I've tried several searches and have seen no independent merchants. Do you have many of them or am I just not hitting them?

Schooner, the features coming up in the next couple weeks are:
    * The ability to output to RSS2/XML
    * The ability to create "auto-feed" additional pages (pages based on your original layout)
    * SEO tools (search and replace, etc)
    * Advanced search
    (Angel, did I forget anything??)

and...(Rhea, this one's for you)
    * Merchant filter will be in so you can limit to SAS

Also, Rhea, independents are coming after we get more of the network merchants (unless there is a huge consensus here that we should put some independents in ASAP...let us know which ones you want first).

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    [QUOTE]and...(Rhea, this one's for you)
    * Merchant filter will be in so you can limit to SAS

Also, Rhea, independents are coming after we get more of the network merchants (unless there is a huge consensus here that we should put some independents in ASAP...let us know which ones you want first).[QUOTE]

Thank you Jesse! Being able to select networks would be a huge help. Indies ASAP puleeze!

Would CafePress be considered an indie? Perhaps you could start with them.

I've been slogging through datafeeds the past week, trying to make some of my processes more automated. Well, I will eventually get that done for some of my sites, but right now I'm taking a delightful detour through PopShops.com!

I've already recommended that a few beginner affiliates I know check it out.

I'm impressed with what I've seen so far. Keep it up!
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Mr Sal, could you ping me on email about your merchant product issue? I would like to get more details about that. (jessie @ popshops.com).
    Hi Jessie,

What merchant product issue?

I haven't mentioned any merchant on this thread!

Btw, I just found that the links here:
    You have chosen the PopShops Sneak Peek plan.

[] I have read and agree to the PopShops Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Refund Policy.
    don't work, (on the check box line, on the signup page.) all three links just go here sneak_peek# on the same page.

I have been anxiously awaiting the formal announcement of this program, ever since Angel told me about it at Summit in January as I think it offers a wonderful alternative to affiliates and a great tool I can suggest for our Metro Uniform affiliates who want to use our datafeed but don't know PHP, etc. I've been testing the beta version and like what I see. The couple of times I contacted Jesse I was pleased by the response and response time.

I applaud Angel, Jesse and Dan for their program and for putting the beta out like this for active critiques, criticism…all for the purpose of creating a useful tool that any affiliate will find easy to use. It is nice to see they are not dictating to us what they will offer us but are presenting it to us on a plate…asking how we want it prepared and what side dishes and condiments we want to go with it. Nice move!

Contrats to the three of you for this product and I wish you much success.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Heya Mr Sal, I was talking about this:

I have a couple of their products in the section referred to above. However, when I went through the list of merchants that came up as having products in this catagory, this merchant was not listed. I then tried a product catagory in which I have on another site over a hundred of this merchant's products, and again, they did not come up in the list for that product.
    I just need some more specifics about the above problem you're having...thought we could take it offline as I work through it so I can figure out what's going on...

BTW, thanks for the bug...I'll note it and we'll fix it.

Would it be easier to start some new threads? Suggested features. Suggested merchants. Bug reports. Etc...

Sorry for not saying so earlier but, great tool, love it. It's like the SaS make-a-page on steriods.

Quote Originally Posted by Schooner
    Would it be easier to start some new threads? Suggested features. Suggested merchants. Bug reports. Etc...
    Yes! Good suggestion. Angel mentioned he thought we should do that.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Neat tool Angel!!
    I need to check it out in furhter detail.

Congratz

Wink
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJ
    Heya Mr Sal, I was talking about this:

Quote:
    I have a couple of their products in the section referred to above. However, when I went through the list of merchants that came up as having products in this catagory, this merchant was not listed. I then tried a product catagory in which I have on another site over a hundred of this merchant's products, and again, they did not come up in the list for that product.

I just need some more specifics about the above problem you're having...thought we could take it offline as I work through it so I can figure out what's going on...

BTW, thanks for the bug...I'll note it and we'll fix it.
    Jesse, that is from AffiliateHound post, not mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Schooner
    It's like the SaS make-a-page on steriods.
    That's EXACTLY how I described it to one of the beginner affiliates I mentioned it to!
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.

One suggestion I have is to allow renaming of shops. I've made a few already that I decided later I would've preferred a more descriptive name.

I think this is going to be a great tool for users at all levels. I tried it out because of the trust level I have in the people sharing it and it looks like it's going to be great!

Thank you and congrats on the "going public" part!

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Hi Jesse,

I'll email the specifics re the merchants I refered to earlier (yea, me, not Mr. Sal), but I had another thought, sort of along the lines of what Rhea suggested.

When you do a product search, on one hand it's great to be able to see what every merchant has available, and you could apply to unjoined merchants who have those products. However, I think more often, PopShop users will prefer to search only among their active merchants, and not have to look for them through a list of hundreds of other merchants.

Any chance of having a feature where you can do a product search only among your list of joined merchants?
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Action Jackson - King of the World
    Hi all:

Can you explain the benfits of this over something like GoldenCan or DFF? Especially considering you have to pay for this compared with the free services.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast