Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Where does your nickname come from?
    On an idea from jollygoodpirate over at http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=86813, where does your nickname you use at ABW come from?

Mine comes from the company I work for, MINDsprinting LLC. However, when I'm not working I use the nickname fatbyjhnsn, which I made up when I was probably 13. It stands for Fat Boy Johnson, which doesn't really mean a whole lot. I just liked the way it sounds.

What about some others?
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    No nickname for me.. just my 'first name-company name' for my ABW handle..

I do have a nickname for my location, though: 'Youtaugh' instead of 'Utah'

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    It's my real name. I was named after my mother's best friend from high school, whose name was actually Maria but HER nickname was Ria. Mom just opted for a different spelling.

Rhea is the Greek goddess of fertility, a moon of Saturn and a large, flightless South American bird.

ABW Ambassador
    I sellected mine because there are so many people in the world named Dave that I felt the need to be more specific and narrow it down a little. (Heck, how many people can be named Dave AND be from Canada?)

CanadianDave

Affiliate Manager
    business name....not very original i guess

15 years and counting
    Once upon a time in Little Land there were little people who roamed the earth. I had trouble finding the right name for my websites. I decided to associate a Greek God to each of them. Greek mythology has had extensive influence on my future as an affiliate. It has been a big part in my success from by humble beginning in 1995. But, one day, Zeus, the king of the gods, the ruler of Mount Olympus (or is it Google) decided to let go Athena, Apollo, Minos, and Artemis...
    Anyway, it's how I started.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    My legal first name is just the letter B

So I added "illy" to it so people don't look at me strange

My legal last name is long, and most people mispronounce it.

My mom used to order pizzas using the name Mrs. Kay - which saved time not dealing with "How do you pronounce that, how do you spell that or Are you related to the baseball player?"

Hence... Billy Kay

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Originally, I was going to go with SusanShareResults,

but against all odds,

it was already taken!

Cool
    Mine is just me with glasses, but my title is from a cartoon that is history now. If you google it you'll find the source is from a long-defunct cartoon by Bill Holman. He used to put pictures and mottoes on the walls of his work as sight gags.

and my sig speaks for itself: refers to the bugaboos (pirating) we all face as affiliates and merchants.

I bought mine on e-bay for $200.00. I got a good deal because 4 letter names are in high demand. The Nigerian guy I bought it from said that even though it looks old, it had low miles on it and it was only used on church sites and grocery coupon sites on Sundays by an old lady on 56k. The bidding was fierce, some stupid truck company drove the price up and I had to keep raising my bids.

Holy fudge Billy!

I was going to use SusanShareResults also! What a coinky dink!

I, however, decided to use my real name instead

There is a pre-existing thread with some member's user name explanations and yet another one explaining why I changed from only my first name to my complete name, FYI.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

My nick comes from the comic book characters I draw sometimes. Karnetics was one of my main characters, the good guy. Cool, strong, tough and smart with super powers.

Tax Paying Member
    WITZER

I thought that I made it up. It was neat and different and I thought that it was a meaningless word. I just now googled "witzer"............there are hundreds..........Should I feel violated or did I violate?????

WOW...I have a family history....
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Do you know ... I've been Staril online for soooo many years that I can't remember where the name came from. hmmmmm ........

Sue.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Rexanne is my name. Unique enough that I unfortunately have total transparency when I post but oh well. Good thing I'm not trying to hide anything.

Amazing how many other people in this world are named Rexanne ... I get a lot of email from them, saying they thought THEY were the only one. Pisses me off when the name "Rexanne" is already taken other places and for email accounts.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

The only part of mine that may need some explanation is the "Geno" part. My full Russian name is Evgenii, which is Eugene in English, Eugen in Deutch, etc... Sometimes shortened to Gene in English, it somehow became Geno while I was closely tied with translation and interpreting business... So I go by Geno now.

We actually had one thread on the Origin of Nicknames back in August-September 2005.

Geno

Affiliate Manager
    Years ago I decided to research Irish history and after a few months I came to the whole IRA/IRB thing and decided to research into it as well as all the splinter groups that spun off from it. I soon realized I needed a new email address to deal with my research and so created splinterproject on yahoo and some how over the years my old email address got used less and less as I used this one more and more so I decided to make it my main and the name has just sort of stuck as a surefire sign up name that more than likely hasn't been taken.
    So instead of sitting at the keys trying to come up with a available name for sites I just use splinterproject.

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    I thought long and hard about mine and wanted something that held some significance and caused people to think about it.

Those who are able to figure out it is really ME often ask how I came up with it.

It's a real conversation starter. I have spent at least 18 seconds discussing it with people...mainly myself.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

ABW Ambassador
    My nephew decided on Aunt Lily because I was his aunt and my first affiliate site was about gardening.

I think mine is pretty much self-explanatory.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Thanks to Geno for the link to the other thread. It's saved me some typing.

Now I can just copy/paste my post from that thread instead of having to rewrite it!

Quote Originally Posted by Me
    My nick and avatar go together.

Years ago, I wrote a story about another planet. (That's where the Alien comes from.)

Of course, I put myself in it (as the main character). I start out as a Rebel, but end up taking over the government, and becoming the ruler. On that planet, the dictator's title is Leader. So that's where the Leader comes from. It goes with the office.

Yep, the place is a dictatorship (a capitalistic dictatorship...an apparent rarity on Earth...). I wasn't about to have my character go through a bunch of hash only to end up having to argue with a Legislature, and then get term-limited after 8 years!!

Plus, I had no desire to just write a fictionalized version of US History...(ie, have big war, throw out king, make democracy).

After all this time--I wrote it long before I started posting here--I've pretty much internalized the 'nick' as my name. I've almost signed it on checks a few times...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Mine came from a student in my karate class. He was new and kinda proud of himself. We sparred. He went down hard. Looking up from the mat, he said, "From now on I'm calling you da erninatior". Lesson learned: Don't under estimate the old farts.
    ~Ernie

A friend of mine teaching me computers back in...89? suggested it as my name starts with a B and I'd always be at my house when connecting...so MrBsHouse it was

Sorry I missed the other thread, that was during my affiliate marketing sabbatical.
    My nick comes from a donut shop I used to frequent when in college... oh the memories!

Here is a picture althougth is not from the store I visited... the pirate is very jolly:

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    When I joined ShareASale, Brian had already created my ABW account. I think he was worried about what I'd do if I got to it first.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast