Social Bookmarking
    Social bookmarking has a 10 year history starting with itList.com back in 1996. Since then, we've seen more social bookmarking sites than you can count come and go.

However, the current breed of social bookmarking sites like Digg, del.icio.us, StumbleUpon, Reddit, Netscape and even affiliate marketing's own BUMPzee are blending social networking and bookmarks together in a way that makes them compelling for high traffic internet users and their circle of contacts... which translates into a possibility for a high amount of traffic on your site.

A particularly useful feature is the way people group their own bookmarks on these sites... normally by tagging. These tags are synonymous with keywords and allow for a customized way to store bookmarks.

Some affiliate sites, particularly those hosted on blogging software like WordPress, are making use of social bookmarks to encourage repeat users and to allow for organic discovery outside of search engines like Google. For example, WordPress has (many) easy to install plugins to choose from, which allows a blog author to easily put up a selection of social bookmarks for readers to choose from.

Social bookmarks are also appearing on static web pages that aren't blogs as well.

Has anyone tried using social bookmarks as a way to increase repeat traffic or bring in new traffic from these places?

http and a telephoto
    I started submitting my blogs to Technorati this weekend, and adding some to my favorites page there. We'll see if it helps. It was interesting to see who was already linking to some of my blogs.

I am converting a bunch of sites to Wordpress, old established sites, and new niche sites. They all have a focus and blogging will be an easier way to maintain them. I need to go through threads here to see if I can find all the blogs I want to add to favorites, then see if we all benefit or not.

The problem I have is deciding which networking sites to focus on. If I had just one blog it would be easy to submit to every place out there, but with many, I need to focus on one or two and try and build a presence there is my thinking.

Will be interested in hearing other views on this!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I deal mostly with b2b affiliate sites, and Technorati has been far and away the biggest traffic source (and link source) for those sites and blogs. Google and Yahoo do well for general terms, but I think for a niche audience, places like Technorati are a better place to put a lot of effort.

The more times your blog gets added as a "Favorite" there really does seem to boost the traffic as well.

ABW Ambassador
    As far as social bookmarking I remember seeing this on a few sites:

http://ekstreme.com/socializer/

And I tried it out and it works, I just used the copy and paste javascript. But then I saw another site using another way, not reliant on a third party and it was kind of like a duh moment. They just had a simple drop down menu of the different social bookmarking sites so somebody could just pick from the drop down and it went right to the bookmark page. So this is one I'm doing now for one of my sites and I do get some traffic from these sites. And it's something very simple people can add to their sites that could result in getting some extra traffic.

I've been working my way up the ranks in these bookmarking sites for some time. The real trick is to provide content so compelling that your readers submit your stories for you. This happens with Digg all the time. Major bloggers like Techcrunch don't submit their stories themselves, but they always get submitted none-the-less. Another popular blog-based social media site is mybloglog which was recently purchased by Yahoo. They let your readers come together and discuss your blog and meet one another.

Sites like Stumbleupon and del.icio.us are an entirely different beast since they don't focus on blogs. Stumbleupon is more about each individual site while del.icio.us is about pages on a site. Neither necessarily have to contain a blog or blog posts.

As with everything the real key is to provide very useful and compelling content. Otherwise you won't get many diggs or you won't be stumbled very often. So social bookmarking isn't they key to success, building a great site is. The nice thing is that when you do write an exceptional story or build a spectacular site these sites can provide instant traffic.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ABW Ambassador
    I think the way I'm using it right now is a little different then what you're talking about. There are sites like Digg where people submit stories then there other types of sites that are a little different, more internet bookmarking sites. I have a coupon/deal site and it has the same information as most other coupon sites so not a really Diggable type of site but one that can get social bookmarked a lot.

"So social bookmarking isn't they key to success, building a great site is."

I agree. Let's say someone comes to your site and likes it and wants to bookmark it. Having options such as the drop down menu or another way is just one way. Most who already belong to those bookmarking sites don't need the drop down, they already know how. For example, I have a del.icio.us button on my browser and I just need to click that to bookmark something. Maybe in the near future we can have a thread about each one, to go a little deeper into them. There are some similarities, some differences in each of them. I'm still trying to get a grasp on all of them.
    Last edited by Trust; March 12th, 2007 at 05:17 PM.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Maybe in the near future we can have a thread about each one, to go a little deeper into them. There are some similarities, some differences in each of them. I'm still trying to get a grasp on all of them.
    That would be helpful. I have a Wordpress plugin that lets people bookmark any post to 20 different sites. But I didn't think of letting people bookmark regular pages to those sites as well. I added the Technorati favorites button to my firefox toolbar this weekend and have added a couple blogs. I wasn't sure if I could add regular sites too.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I'm still on the fence. I wouldn't want any of my sites to get Digg traffic. I don't think they are buyers. They are Internet speed surfers that just read headlines and glance over sites. Just my opinion and I could be wrong. Somebody in this forum said they had a site hit page 1 at Digg and it killed the site.

I put my sites in http://www.stumbleupon.com/ hoping to grab impulse buyers.

There is one site I even go look at once in a while. It pulls all those sites into 1 page.

http://popurls.com

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    That would be helpful. I have a Wordpress plugin that lets people bookmark any post to 20 different sites. But I didn't think of letting people bookmark regular pages to those sites as well. I added the Technorati favorites button to my firefox toolbar this weekend and have added a couple blogs. I wasn't sure if I could add regular sites too.
    Oh yeah, I use it on my regular website and have seen my site show up on various ones. I think most of these type of things are for any page on the internet, I know technorati is just for blogs, might be some others. Just like someone can bookmark your page/add it to their favorites with their browswer like IE, same type of thing with these other bookmarking sites. For example with del.icio.us I can bookmark anything and it'll show up in my list of bookmarks and I can also see who else bookmarked the same page. It's also great if you're travelling, you can just login to the bookmark site if you need to get to one of them. I'm sure there are other ways to get to your bookmarks but this is one way. And you can also check out what other people are bookmarking and some other things.

Something that's nice about Technorati is the blog search. I like to search blog posts to see who is blogging about me. It's nice to see what people are saying about my site.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I see people mentioning gaining traffic from social bookmark sites, but what about the indirect traffic you get from value added in search by inbound links? From what I read there are those that value it highly in there overall inbound link strategy.

There is even one member on SitePoint that is selling a service of bookmarking your page at 100 social sites for $25 and he seems to have takers.

One social bookmarking site that has not been mentioned here is http://ma.gnolia.com. I was checking out today for the first time, low and behold what does ma.gnolia.com suggest as a random topic on my first visit? "affiliate marketing" Found an interesting article called "The death of affiliate commissions?" , it talks about pay per lead strategies vs. pay per sale.

I use ma.gnolia for my bookmarks on my marketing blog. I love del.icio.us, but ma.gnolia is much more advanced in functionality and social links sharing (which I do with other bloggers in the sphere).

Great post Sam
    I use Sociable http://push.cx/2006/sociable-1-2 on my WP blog. It works great.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread